What's new

Liseberg | Helix | Mack Megacoaster

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Liseberg | "Project Helix" | Mack Megacoaster

Just noticed something that cant be right:

The facts Project Helix: Investment: $200m

So thats like £130m... I guess an extra naught was added accidently.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Or it's going to be extra **** epic hahaha XD

lond

Roller Poster

After just a few hours at work I left :) and picked up my brother to visit the Liseberg pres day.

With most of the information is already out I'm not going to talk about that :)

After a quick intro from the CO Andreas Andersen we were guided into Maxxima for the video presentation of Project Helix. After the video it was Q&A with people from Liseberg and Mack.

The coaster will really fit on then hill and the park. Construction photos will be posted as soon we spot any work on the coaster :)

Had a great time at the press day together with all the other great folks over at Liseberg today. A big thanks will go to Andreas Andersen for aiding us to go there with a personal invite, we really appreciated it!!

Se you all 2014.

/// Marcus

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
So thats like £130m... I guess an extra naught was added accidently.

The price is 200 millions Swedish crowns, so about €23 million or £18.5 millions.

Ben

CF Legend

Nemesis of oblivion said:
Looks really great, proberly won't get the chance to ride it.

This.

Why does Sweden have to be a whole two hours flight away.

Woe is me.

tks

Strata Poster

peep said:
Is it just me or does it run a bit too close (in the POV) to the log flume and Liesbergbanana?

not sure if..
I think you should point out this critical design flaw to Liseberg right now.

reddude333

Giga Poster

The pre-launch seems kinda pointless to me and they have some pretty horrendous modeling software (at least I could hardly get a sense of pace), but it looks like a fantastic layout with great inversions and intensity so in the end I think it will be fantastic.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

SFMM should take note of this. Pretzel knot thing, hearline roll, airtime, two launches and the sexiest trains in the world, why does Sweden have to be a 14 hour flight away?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

tks said:
peep said:
Is it just me or does it run a bit too close (in the POV) to the log flume and Liesbergbanana?

not sure if..
I think you should point out this critical design flaw to Liseberg right now.

I noticed that on the video as well, but considering it wasn't the best quality anyways, I put it down to the designers focusing on the thing that is the point of the video...

On the ride itself, two rolling LSM launches? Blue Fire esque Zero-G finale roll? Sold...

Jake

Strata Poster

This looks fierce, but am I the only one who thinks it's a slightly weird choice seeing as they have Kanonen already? I mean, for a park that currently only has 3 major coasters they could have gone for something a bit different.

Apart from that, I love it! Glad I didn't bother booking a trip there for this year or next now.

andrus

Giga Poster

^Yes I thought that too. It's a bit like the case where they where adding a bigger drop tower even though they already got one. Maybe Liseberg realized themselves that Kanonen suck big time? :lol:

Seriously though I think it's a great choice of coaster :) The multi launch blitz coaster is the hottest model at the moment! And rides like Maverick, Blue Fire and Cheetah Hunt get nothing but rave reviews. It's almost as if someone at Liseberg has been reading through coaster forums on the internet and decided to build every coaster enthusiasts wet dream :--D

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

I agree it is a bit of a weird choice, but all in all a launch is just another means of propulsion. If you want to build a speedy coaster, you need a big drop or a launch, and a launch is way less intrusive for the neighbours (it doesn't dominate the skyline as much, for obvious reasons).

Liseberg has Balder for airtime and steep hills, Lisebergbanan for families and Rabalder for kids. This one will provide speed and thrill and fast turns and inversions and whatnot. Kanonen will have to serve as a "stepping stone" between the family rides and the thrill ride.

And I wonder what name they will eventually give to this coaster. Either there will be a naming contest, or it will refer to Lisebergbanan in some way, I think.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Now that looks fun! A Pretzel loop on a sitting coaster looks really fun! The coaster's surprisingly long aswell.

TilenB

Strata Poster

What is the difference between pretzel loop and Norwegian loop anyway? I've always thought that the element on the flyers is called pretzel loop, and on the sitdowns norvegian.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Norwegian loops roll twice, at the start and at the end. Pretzels don't...

bmac

Giga Poster

Pretzel Loops also cross over each other, while Norwegians do not.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_coa ... egian_loop

A Pretzel loop is composed of two elements: a Dive Loop followed by an Immelmann. It looks like a normal loop, except entered from the top, not bottom.

220px-Tatsu.jpg

A Norwegian Loop is composed of two elements: a Dive Loop followed by an Immelmann. It is similar to a Pretzel Loop, except the train enters and exits with a twist.

69643731401.jpg

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Hyde244 said:
A Pretzel loop is composed of two elements: a Dive Loop followed by an Immelmann. It looks like a normal loop, except entered from the top, not bottom.

It isn't comprised of either a dive loop or an Immelman? Both those elements contain twists at the top.. It's simply a half loop down, followed by a half loop up.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

Norwegian loops include a half-twist at the entry and exit of the element, so riders invert twice.

Pretzel loops have no half-twists, so riders invert only once (relative to their normal prone position).

I think the easiest way to think of it is this: Pretzel loops can only be done on flying coasters, and Norwegian loops can only be done on every other type of inverting coaster.