What's new

Liseberg | Helix | Mack Megacoaster

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Liseberg | "Project Helix" | Mack Megacoaster

Yay, Norwegian Loop on a Swedish coaster! In your face, Sweden!

In all seriousness, though (and I know that isn't really a Norwegian loop - too drawn out), this looks decidedly awesome. Longest and fastest and most inverting coaster in Scandinavia.

That POV is a little too stylish for my taste... more speed jumps than the battle scenes in 300, and a tad too dark and blurry.

We'll meet at Liseberg in 2014!

bmac

Giga Poster

Looks like a really fun coaster. I don't know if the rumors were being discussed on other forums and it just snuck under us, but either way I like it when there's little warning before hand and lo-behold the ride gets announced.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Loving all the exciting reactions to this, brilliant =]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Well, I'm excited because:
a) It's a Megacoaster which ride fantastically
b) It's the mother of all Megacoasters
c) The ride interaction is going to be superb
d) Gothenburg is exceptionally accessible
e) Liseberg is a gorgeous park that I loved spending time in (so this is an easy sell to get me back over there).
f) Mack deserve to get more of these coasters installed. It's a good shake up for the industry!

Probably dozens of other reasons to be excited? Certainly couldn't understand anyone going "not very impressive" ;)

Oh, and Alton Towers? Look at the 100% positive reaction you can get with a NONE World's First ride that is completely announced 18 months in advance. Look closely at it and LEARN!

lond

Roller Poster

furie said:
Looks like launch (or does it drop out of the station?), diving turn, second launch into a corkscrew, turn, airtime hill, pretzel loop, turn, airtime hill, zero-g, diving turn, helix, third launch into airtime hill, Corkscrew, S-Turns, heart line roll and fin.

So six inversions and three airtime spots with three launches. Awesome :)

Just a drop out of the station :) and then two launches on the track.

/// Marcus

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah, I hadn't seen the POV at that point. Doesn't stop my excitement :)

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

This looks insane.
This park has been on my list of must do's for a while and now more so.
And good on Mack getting these things built. I've not ridden any of them yet but they look awesome and the reviews are mostly excellent.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

In the "launch and loop arena" they're like a B&M Mega compared to an Intamin Mega. You know that the Intamin will offer a much wilder ride, but that doesn't stop the B&M from being bags of fun and a great coaster.

The real difference is that the Mack Megacoasters don't come with a fear of horrendous bruising and burdenous downtime :)

Martyn B

CF Legend

It really does look amazing!

Haven't been to Liseberg before, but is this their usual style, building rides on top of each other? I always imagined that Liseberg was a gorgeous park, yet building coasters on top of one another does look a little ugly.

andrus

Giga Poster

Two things:

1) This looks amazing! Four airtime hills, six inversions (whereof one is the famous "blue fire in-line roll"), Mack trains, terrain layout twisting around other rides AND IT'S IN SWEDEN! Wohoo! :--D

2) A Mack mega coaster that's not blue?!?

Here's a translation of the info on the Project Helix webpage:

Project Helix is Liseberg's biggest attraction investment ever. It will become a new roller coaster, the longest and fastest in the park. The ambition is that it'll be one of the best roller coasters in the world.

The roller coaster is almost 1.4 km long and the ride time will be close to 2 minues. The ride will feature two launches powered by LSM technology (Linear Synchronous Motors) – ie the ride will be the first dubble launching roller coaster in Europe. The passengers will be flipped upside down at six points during the ride and experience so-called "airtime" four times - a feeling of weightlessness.

With a speed of up to 100 km/h the roller coaster will be the fastest at Liseberg. It will also be the technically most advanced roller coaster at the park. Mack Rides of Germany will be the manufacturer.

The premiere of the new roller coaster will be at the spring of 2014.

Welcome to participate in Project Helix!

madhjsp

Giga Poster

Looks like awesome fun.. a nice long, terrain-hugging layout with airtime, 2 launches and 6 inversions... what's not to like?

Intricks

Strata Poster

It actually looks a bit like 3 launches, with a soft launch in the beginning like Cheetah Hunt.

Only reason I say that is cause it looks to go briefly uphill before going along the track leading up to the speedy launch.

andrus

Giga Poster

^The park officially states that the ride will feature two launches.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Yes, yes, yes!! Well done Liseberg!!
This looks fantastic, and finally something worth getting excited about.
I love the way the park builds everything so close together - it's ride interaction and sensory overload.

Thanks for the translation Andrée.

marc

CF Legend

It looks great, I love the way in interacts with the other rides.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Take note SFMM, they know how to make use of a hill!

This looks absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed Manta at SWSD and that was a family ride, can't wait to ride a Mack mega, and I really hope this will be the first one I get on.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

This looks really really good. Id love to ride it. Too bad I probably wont get the chance you D:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Looks really great, proberly won't get the chance to ride it. But nice to see Mack building more of these Mega Coasters, phreaps get a more tame version of this into Chessington