What's new

Liseberg | Helix | Mack Megacoaster

Re: Liseberg | "Project Helix" | Mack Megacoaster

^I never noticed that before. That's quite a nice touch to the aesthetic appeal of the train and is also something that's relatively easy and cheap to do.

owenrita121 said:
^Nobody has said it is a top 10 ride, they are saying it MIGHT be a top 10 ride.

Well, Blue Fire isn't a top ten ride, but it IS good and Helix looks better - so it MIGHT be ;)

Does anyone else think it is a little odd that liseberg have decided to build another launch coaster after kanonen. Especially, since that this one will be longer, faster, and generally considerably better all round. It gives me the feeling that kanonen could be leaving soon.

Not really. Look at most other major parks. They have both big and small launchers nowadays.

^ I would understand if kanonen was aimed at families, but it is not really.

Re: RE: Liseberg | "Project Helix" | Mack Megacoaster

The rides are no where near similar. That's like saying why does a park build 2 rides with inversions.

CookieCoasters said:

Doesnt matter, Helix is marketable for being a massive, multi launching looper. Its different enough from Kanonen that the only people who will whine and cimplain about will be us enthusiasts.

Remember when Leviathan was being built?

Intricks said:
CookieCoasters said:

Doesnt matter, Helix is marketable for being a massive, multi launching looper. Its different enough from Kanonen that the only people who will whine and cimplain about will be us enthusiasts.

Remember when Leviathan was being built?

Fine, i rest my case.

To be fair I don't think Kanonen is in the park's long term planning anymore. I could see it getting removed in a few years, due to the declining popularity that it will see once Helix opens. The ride isn't really that popular compared to Balder and Lisebergsbanan even as it is.

Removing it would also open up toward the new land that the park has recently purchased, so that it would be possible to build a nice entrance to the new area.

I agree with _koppen and CookieCoasters on this one. I think Kanonen will be redundant once Helix opens.

I don't know what other parks with multiple launch coasters you guys where referring too? But Kings Dominion is the one that immediately springs to my mind. The park currently has 3 launch coasters in operation, but used to have 4 until Hypersonic XLC closed. The difference with Liseberg is that all 4 of the coasters offer very different rides. Hypersonic was a fast coaster with an extreme launch and a tall top hat. Volcano is a full circuit inverted ride with inversions. While Flight of Fear also has inversions, it's a sitdown model completely in the dark. Last Back Lot Stunt Coaster is a smaller family friendly ride with nice effects.

Kanonen and Helix will pretty much be the same with the exception of Helix being newer, bigger and better. Both are outdoor sit down launch coasters with inversions. Liseberg did a similar thing when they added AtmosFear when they already got Höjdskräcken, an S&S turbo drop. The difference is that Höjdskräcken still acts as a stepping stone for those still too afraid of the massive AtmosFear. This won't be the case with Kanonen/Helix. Kanonen will be the more violent one with the typical Intamin transitions and Helix will most likely get a lower height limit (like Blue Fire).

I also agree with _koppen saying that Kanonen has lost a lot of popularity lately. My friends e.g. never want to ride Kanonen since they find it too uncomfortable with all the head baching. And with the addition of Helix the ride will have an even greater loss of interest. Liseberg have said themselves that they will keep Kanonen, as of now. But one can only wonder how long it will take before they consider removing the attraction.

I just want to finish by saying that I still think the addition of Helix was a very good decision! Liseberg initially planned for a more traditional mega coasters with a height taller than Uppskjutet, the S&S space shot. But I think it was a wise decision to add a more integrated attraction, keeping the lush "park" feeling at Liseberg. As already stated Kanonen is far from the most popular roller coaster at the park, and tbh it's a pretty **** ride! The addition of a better launch/blitz style ride is only a good thing :)

PS Do anyone know if Liseberg have put up the trains for display in park yet? I remeber they said the trains would be put up for display at the end of June, but haven't heard anything since..

Kings Island, Cedar Point and SFMM are 3 right off the top of my head. Regardless, we can base this argument of any park going for a similar ride experience they already had in the park (which opens the list up drastically).

Why build 3 wooden coasters at Holiday World?
Why build Mean Streak when CP still has Blue Streak?

They are still a marketable ride and the others, regardless of lack of ridership, have stayed in the parks until absolutely necessary. Granted US parks will most likely differ between their European counterparts, but if the ride still gets attention, and its plot of land isnt really useable for much else, the park will chose to keep the predecessor than demolish it as it still draws people there.

As I said before, the only people who will whine, bitch and moan about it will be us enthusiasts. Just go look at the Leviathan thread and the Kings Island 2014 topic in a couple months for the proof.

The trains! <3

Helix_Wagon_blog.jpg

andrus said:
PS Do anyone know if Liseberg have put up the trains for display in park yet? I remeber they said the trains would be put up for display at the end of June, but haven't heard anything since..
And to answere my own question: the trains will be put up for display next week.

The front car of one of the Helix trains arrived at Liseberg for display!
1013148_660677410628495_735190285_n.jpg

It really does look impressive.

The front reminds me of some kind of Ray. I love it.