What's new

Liseberg 2011 - AtmosFear!! (Report posted)

The local paper have done a little sneak preview of the ride yesterday, and they were allowed to strap a video camera onto the ride while testing. So they are first to provide a POV of Atmosfear.

GPTV

I really hope that when they fill the ride with passengers that you carry a lot more speed in the brakes so that you still have some good speed when you go into the building.

^I hope so too! As it is in this video it breaks really high up on the tower. I've no doubt it'll be a killer drop tower :--D but I don't think it'll surpass Condor and Scream as the best drop tower in Europe..

I haven't seen that they have used dummies to test the full weight yet. So we just have to wait to see when they open (or on the press day). It says in the GP article that they are currently tweaking the brakes, so it could be that it will be better than it seems...

^Indeed! This is the tallest gyro drop built yet, so they might installed too many brake fins with purpose to see how the drop car would react and then they could remove some if possible :)

I don't really see the weight making THAT much difference, it doesn't when you watch them test and then ride, say, Scream...

Taking a few off might be a good idea then, cause, this brakes REALLY high.

Also, isn't KD's Drop Zone taller than this? That's 105m, this is 90, but, you never really know how tall they DROP, but, Drop Zone is faster, suggesting it's dropping for longer, obviously...

The difference between loaded and unloaded drop car on Scream is 4 tons (25 vs. 21 tons). But it have the rotation feature that this one lacks and they have probably tried to lighten the drop car as much as they can to reduce material cost, so the difference between loaded and unloaded could be higher on Atmosfear.

According to Wikipedia then Drop Zone at KD is 272 ft (83 meters) which makes Atmosfear have a taller ride height (if you go by tower height which is what you stated then Atmosfear is 114 meters tall). The higher top speed that DZ have could be that they have have a longer drop section of the tower (they look about the same to me) or aerodynamic differences that makes DZ have a lower drag force.

But as I said, they are still tweaking the brakes, and there are 16 days before opening date, so there is a lot that could change...

This looks rubbish. The drop looks really tame and as soon as you start moving you've hit the brakes halfway down the tower. Shame as it looked really good.

It still does, since that was probably one of the crappiest POV's I have ever seen...

I'll know more in about 2 weeks on the press day.

The first one was from a lower altitude, on the second one the point of view screws up the ride and the last one I explained earlier.

It would be exactly the same as all the other ones in real life, a video camera can never convey the complete experience...

I really hope that when they fill the ride with passengers that you carry a lot more speed in the brakes so that you still have some good speed when you go into the building.
Why would a heavier car fall faster than an unloaded one....g=9.9ms^-2 for everything right? Its not as if there would be any real difference in wind resistance between loaded and unloaded either.

^No, but the time it takes to stop is longer with a larger weight. F=ma etc. :)

Gazza said:
g=9.9ms^-2 for everything right?
Nope it's 9.82ms^-2 here :p

But it's as Hixee said, the heavier car the more inertia it have, and since the force the brakes apply is dependant on the speed and not the weight it will take longer to brake a fully loaded car than an empty one.

I'm sure they're going to tweak it to perfection & that sucker is certainly high enough, but the buildings at the bottom of the drop take away a lot compared to towers like the Drop Zones at KD & KI - unless they could get it not to brake until it's inside the shell (which isn't possible).

Gazza said:
Why would a heavier car fall faster than an unloaded one....g=9.9ms^-2 for everything right? Its not as if there would be any real difference in wind resistance between loaded and unloaded either.
I'am no master in physics but isn't that a theoretical formula in vacuum and neglecting air resistance? It's easy to test if you drop a piece of cotton and a stone, which one will drop the fastest? I assume this is appliable on a larger scale as well, a higher weight (and lower air resistance) will make an object drop faster (closer to the theoretical gravitational acceleration force)! Or am I just making things up now? :p

^Yes and no. Quite correctly you've said that if you have a vacuum then two objects under the same force will fall at the same rate and that with air resistance the denser object 'usually' falls quicker. However, think about the difference a few people are going to make to the shape of this ride? Compared to the overall size of the carriage the people are pretty much negligible in terms of air resistance.

F**k the physics.

From videos we've seen up until now, this looks s**t. It's all to do with breaking way too high. That's it. End of discussion.

More new images from the FB page:

218034_210701202292787_119312944764947_758876_7018903_n.jpg

Entrance

216547_210701295626111_119312944764947_758880_356143_n.jpg

Too bad that we don't have the "Danger of DEATH" signs you have in the UK

218034_210701198959454_119312944764947_758875_290753_n.jpg

Atmosfear

216547_210701292292778_119312944764947_758879_1082923_n.jpg

Is this true??

218034_210701195626121_119312944764947_758874_7341706_n.jpg

View port from the main level

218034_210701205626120_119312944764947_758877_930570_n.jpg

It does look pretty tall!!

SOURCE

I <3 the theming. It slightly reminds me of Apocalypse with the whole "Metal/Industrial" theme to it. Still, at the moment, comparing the theming to the POV, the theming wins hands down ;)