What's new

Lightning Rod Status

Boris81

Roller Poster
It seems that the curse of Lightning Rod has hit again!
According to the app and
"dw.jonstoddart.com" the ride is closed since yesterday and did not open at all today - now it is closed for the day.
Will they ever figure it out? I am not sure ....

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
I mean, rides do break down for a few days at a time from time to time. There are no specifics as to why right now and given its history, it's not ideal but lets not judge a short closing, especially in March, compared to what happened previously.

Kalistos

Mega Poster
Hey I'm going in two weeks, I've been checking the app and Lightning rod has been '' temporarily closed'' everyday for a week now according to it. Any one have heard or seen if it was true?

Boris81

Roller Poster
Since they added new design features to the trains, the ride has been down mostly for the last two days. I am wondering what the problem is...

Snoo

The Legend
Haven't heard anything negative in quite some time actually. It has more up/down issues then other rides at DW but you should be good.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
I was there three weeks ago and while it was down most of the day on April 28th I was able to get one ride in at night. On the 29th it was open all day and I was able to get three more rides in.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll take SV one train operation over this any day. A bit bizarre DW still hasn't gotten a handle on this.

Matt N

CF Legend
Please open by the 17th!
I'm optimistic that it's only a small issue and that it will be open again within the next couple of weeks, but Screamscape doesn't seem so optimistic:
Screamscape said:
General Park News - (8/3/18) Since Lightning Rod has been down awhile, I attempted to reach out to Dollywood for a little more information on the situation, but unfortunately I've been able to get no official word about the coaster's status. On the rumor side of things, employees are said to not be very optimistic at this point, with many believing it could be closed for the rest of the season. I'd prefer not to think that were the case, as Dollywood is likely doing whatever it can to get it reopen ASAP.
I really hope this isn't the case. I reckon it should be open within the next couple of weeks, if not earlier. The ride is arguably Dollywood's flagship attraction at the moment, so I'm sure they will want to have it open as soon as possible.
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

Pear

Strata Poster
Hey if it's not open when I go at least there's more incentive to go back than just an Orkanen clone next year.

Matt N

CF Legend
Hey if it's not open when I go at least there's more incentive to go back than just an Orkanen clone next year.
And hey, if it's not open on the 17th, but is on your potential 2019 visit, then there's a +2 waiting for you at Dollywood in 2019! But I reckon it will be open. I'm optimistic.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^
268754a0bc9c6f970cf11dbd5280cce0.jpg

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Yeah, third-hand rumors (based on what park employees have allegedly told people) say it’s down for the season and will re-open with a significant change to the ride that will permanently fix the problem.

Take that with a boulder of salt.