What's new

Lift hills with alterable speeds

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I noticed some lift hills change speed depending on what's going on. Air at Alton Towers specifically seems to slow down or stop halfway up, i assume this is because the first train is still half way around the track.

Do all coasters start climbing the lift hill early and then slow down until it's safe to proceed or is it only a select few?

10WaTT

Hyper Poster
I guess thats the main reason yeah.

Although on other select coasters (eg. Dueling Dragons) one train usually sets off before the other and then the lift hill sends info to their computers to work out the weight difference to speed one train up or down so they interact on the inversions at roughly the same time.

A

Anonymous

probaly just a few coasters do it, most i know dont leave the station until the other one has arrived back, however coasters with lots of carts are dispatched at pacific points where all carts are at a safe stopping zone incase of problems such as air, oblivion, mad mouse rides, saw etc

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I think it would be all down to if the next block is clear or not. Air would go fast if the next block was clear.

Inferno's lift is ment to match the speed of the train when it hits the lift.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
The reason why they slow the train down rather than stopping is due to wear and tear. If you stop a motor, it takes a lot of energy for it to get going, which plays havoc on any moving part. Instead, if the train slows down, the motor is already running so when it needs to, it can pick up speed with ease. It's both to do with block spacing and wear and tear.

Snoo

The Legend
A-Kid said:
I think it would be all down to if the next block is clear or not. Air would go fast if the next block was clear.

Inferno's lift is ment to match the speed of the train when it hits the lift.

This.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
The reason why they slow the train down rather than stopping is due to wear and tear. If you stop a motor, it takes a lot of energy for it to get going, which plays havoc on any moving part. Instead, if the train slows down, the motor is already running so when it needs to, it can pick up speed with ease. It's both to do with block spacing and wear and tear.

This.

A

Anonymous

It's to clear the lift block area so there are no train collisions during the course (from lift to next block). If it is impossible for the train not to clear the lift with collision, the train will stop. On NoLimits, for example, you might notice that while you are working on a roller coaster, a train might not clear the lift because another train hasn't gotten to the next block section. The course would have to be shortened or the lift speed would have to be altered.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Air stops when the monorail goes overhead.
The speed on some rides change to get the train up quicker. It is slower at first and at the end to make it more comfortable for riders.

But mostly it is to do with blocks.