What's new

Last Cred Review

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hypercoaster - Land of Legends.

1000005742.jpg

Couldn't wait til May for Hyperia, so me & the wife minced over to Turkey this week to get some Mack hyper action.
S'good.
Really, really good actually, I liked it lots. Ima give it a solid 9 out of 10. Great layout, decent length, it's got height, speed, airtime, hangtime, positive g's - a nice mix of everything really. The gigantic vertical loop is awesome, the big camelback that comes next is also a highlight.
So why not 10/10? Well, there is the merest hint of the Mack rattle present. Not much - I wouldn't call it rough, not by a long shot, but it is there.
Secondly, I would have liked the airtime to be a wee bit stronger. It's got several good moments of strong floater, but it could do with a solid punch or two of proper, Helix/RTH style ejector to really make it stand out.
And lastly, there was no sense of occasion about it. I didn't get any tingles of excitement beforehand, there was no build up, no atmosphere, no music in the station or queueline, you just walk up, ride the ride and walk off again. It's just... a roller coaster in a park. Not a particularly good park either. Now I know that's not really the fault of the coaster, or Mack, but little things like that all add to the experience and Land of Legends just don't really show this coaster off the way they could.
Overall though, a really good coaster that, with a tad more effort from Land of Legends, could have been an easy Top 20 contender.

So, how does all this bode for Thorpe Park's new ride? Well, with the possible exception of overall duration, I think Hyperia will be superior in every way. I'm confident that every element on Hyperia (all 4 of them) will hit harder than Hypercoaster and it will almost certainly feel like you're about to ride something special when queueing for it.
It just remains to be seen whether Hyperia's short track length will be its Achilles heel and leaves you feeling short changed, but overall I'm still excited for it.

Last edited: