What's new

Knott's Teasing Possible Pony Express Removal?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hm, I wonder what for? It's not a very old ride, built in 2008. Removing it doesn't seem like it would free up a lot of land either: It's a very simple figure 8, squeezed in between and over other buildings in the park. Its station is the only part of it that takes up any ground space, and it's hardly bigger than the restrooms next door. Pony Express also seems to be built small and low on purpose, since it's only a few meters away from residential neighbours - barely over 30 meters from its track to the closest neighbour's wall. Its final turn is even covered with a tunnel to dampen noise. No way they would allow a noisy attraction in that corner of the park.

OK, it's a Zamperla, hardly the pinnacle of coaster engineering, but I can't really see why it should be taken away or what could feasibly replace it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The only thing I could see replace it is a 2 per car Raptor Coaster (custom layout).
Again, look at that big tunnel and the tall trees in that corner of the park. Those are noise reduction measures, because people live barely 100 footsies away. Some guy's house is even in the picture you took. Something tall and likely to make guests scream is completely out of the question, I fear.

A retheme could be more likely, but ... why? Doesn't it fit into the overall Wild West theme of that entire area? What else can a family motorbike coaster be themed to in a wild west setting, if not horses?

Again, look at that big tunnel and the tall trees in that corner of the park. Those are noise reduction measures, because people live barely 100 footsies away. Some guy's house is even in the picture you took. Something tall and likely to make guests scream is completely out of the question, I fear.

A retheme could be more likely, but ... why? Doesn't it fit into the overall Wild West theme of that entire area? What else can a family motorbike coaster be themed to in a wild west setting, if not horses?
Maybe a story change like Calico River Rapids retheme

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Maybe a story change like Calico River Rapids retheme
I feel like Calico River Rapids' retheme was a lot more extensive due to a river rapids being a slow-moving ride taking up a large amount of land, so Knotts was easily able to find space for animatronics, props and new show scenes inside its preexisting footprint. However, with a coaster like Pony Express, I don't think that you'd be able to do nearly as extensive of a retheme without altering the ride itself. I'm not certain that a story change would warrant this much teasing or have the same wording, personally.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Knott's posted these pictures to their Instagram story today and they seem to hint that Pony Express could be leaving or being rethemed. It might be a reach but I wouldn't be surprised if it bites the dust.

View attachment 8387

View attachment 8388
I am actually fine with this, pony express was always a terrible fit and was such a short and useless ride for Knott’s, I am really hoping for the two person across raptor model

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The only thing I could see replace it is a 2 per car Raptor Coaster (custom layout). But honestly I think we'll see a retheme.View attachment 8389
I am actually fine with this, pony express was always a terrible fit and was such a short and useless ride for Knott’s, I am really hoping for the two person across raptor model

What are you two talking about a 2-across raptor? There's no such thing? Besides a T-Rex...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Taking it out and adding nothing would probably be better than whats there now, just saying.
This. Pony Express was awful, even for family coaster standards. I never understood why they added it in the first place (let alone three family coasters in a row).

Now if they are actually removing it...I would literally die of laughter if they relocated it to Dorney ?
(this last part is a joke - please do not reply with the blueprints in the Dorney thread since I am well aware of them)

What are you two talking about a 2-across raptor? There's no such thing? Besides a T-Rex...
Personally, I'd like to see RMC create 2 person cars for the Raptor Coaster as another way of increasing capacity and also it means they are working on the Raptor even more before the T Rex Coaster.

Plus, I think they could have that world's first noise tunnel on a single rail coaster. But it would be tough to add it in.

Matt N

CF Legend
RMC did say that they had a model in mind for in between the Raptor and the T-Rex, didn’t they? Maybe that could function as a “2-across Raptor”, if you like?

As for Pony Express; very interesting! I wonder what the park wants to do with it, if anything? As people have already said, the plot of land isn’t huge and is very close to residents, unless it’s being used as part of something larger?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Or a Maurer Spike Dragster? It would be less likely to bother neighbours with screams from the riders, being a much duller ride. The constant swearing from the maintenance crew might be a bigger annoyance, though.
Or the obnoxious sound that these coasters make when running. If that ride was to be pitched to Alton Towers it would make the Ropers sue the park TWICE. The first lawsuit because of the awful sound and the second one for being so stupid as to even think of installing one of these.

From minute 3 onwards.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
Yeah, I think that's not how that story was meant to be interpreted. Ever since the park closed, they've had the character of Sad Eye Joe leaving his jail and visiting a lot of different attractions in the park. I think they're just honestly saluting the history of the actual Pony Express mail route. The riders have "gone off into the sunset" because the park is closed. And his "letter didn't get delivered" because the ride isn't operational.

I think you're all reading way to much into this.

Last edited: