What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

Re: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

I wonder if it will stay open once it opens or if it will be plagued by problems.

Has the problem so far been the way the wheels run on the track?
Or was it a different issue?

From how I understood it, they were having problems with the trains keeping speed, or having too much, especially when weight of bodies was added. I thought I heard one set flipped with no one in it. Could be completely wrong, but that's what I seem to remember.

1016038_4653706594313_2002874974_n.jpg

^^ Pretty much spot on. The train was meant to be based on older standards for safety, a rope/chain holding you in. That doesnt fly today, so they had to add proper restraints. Those made the car too heavy and was causing it to fly up too high into the turns, thus they had to add in bumpers. With the bumpers in, the trains were fine until a certain turn where it went too high and hit the bumper, during one of the tests, there is speculation that a train flipped (which seems to hold some truth as they were replacing wood at one point on this).

Thats how the story goes though, so there could be immense truth, or no truth at all to it. I know until they got that one dude from GCI on the project that the trains were grounded and nothing further was going to come from it at that time due to the train being the central issue.

Which is sad, really as they'd done such a fantastic job recreating the track. Shame it's taking so long to get the trains right for today's safety standards.

Supposedly they've been testing with water dummies. No source though. If true it could be a good sign. Painted and logo'd trains with water dummies

I hope they have finally got it right then. It should be a wonderful experience to ride it.

I think it's safe to say by the fact that they took the trouble to add painted fiberglass seats, stick logos to the trains, and even powdercoat the chassis that it'll open relatively soon, and by that I mean next year.

Antinos said:
I think it's safe to say by the fact that they took the trouble to add painted fiberglass seats, stick logos to the trains, and even powdercoat the chassis that it'll open relatively soon, and by that I mean next year.

If they're gonna open it they better open it already. I don't want to sit through an eighth offseason of "ugh tear it down already" and "maybe next year!" please...

At least it's not Vertigo.

I'm still not understamding the Duke Nukem of coasters either.

Duke Nukem' Forever was a video game that was in development for over 14 years between the original announcement and the actual release of the software.

From the original announcement of Flying Turns... Or did construction start before any announcement? It's been so damn long, I don't even remember... Anyways, Flying Turns is somewhere around 8 years now from the original knowledge that Knoebels was up to something.

Technically, my simile (?) isn't accurate if FT doesn't open, but the concept of vaporware is well known in software development circles. It's much rarer in this business for a ride to be announced, or even built and then never open, or not open for several years after the originally expected period.

I spent the day at Knoebels watching the new trains testing. I spoke with Rick Knoebels and the ride engineer (the chap that gave us the walk-thru tour during last year's Live) . The coaster will be opening, but in spite of already doing over 1000 test runs it still needs to be tweaked some more before that happens (mostly electronics on the ride). My best estimate for the opening will be in about 6-8 weeks.
I'm sorry that I can't post any photos or video footage I took today, but Rick asked that I wait until he gives me the ok to do so.

Holy ****, it's actually going to open. Hmm, guess I was wrong.

rollermonkey said:
Duke Nukem' Forever was a video game that was in development for over 14 years between the original announcement and the actual release of the software.

From the original announcement of Flying Turns... Or did construction start before any announcement? It's been so damn long, I don't even remember... Anyways, Flying Turns is somewhere around 8 years now from the original knowledge that Knoebels was up to something.

Technically, my simile (?) isn't accurate if FT doesn't open, but the concept of vaporware is well known in software development circles. It's much rarer in this business for a ride to be announced, or even built and then never open, or not open for several years after the originally expected period.

But Duke Nukem was plague with developer problems of them going bankrupt and swapping about. The hype is gathered in the start of it's life was massive, it was constantly bigged up as the best thing in existance.

Essentially if this was equivilent duke nukem it would have been passed arround to Intamin, B&M, Vekoma and god knows who else while promoting it like Cedar Fair or Six flags and it ends up being a disaster when it's finally done.

Think of it more as a loving fan remake that they keep delaying so they can get it just right. It's not going to be stellar but they put so much effort into making it what it is it'll be at least fun and interesting.

ECG said:
I spent the day at Knoebels watching the new trains testing. I spoke with Rick Knoebels and the ride engineer (the chap that gave us the walk-thru tour during last year's Live) . The coaster will be opening, but in spite of already doing over 1000 test runs it still needs to be tweaked some more before that happens (mostly electronics on the ride). My best estimate for the opening will be in about 6-8 weeks.
I'm sorry that I can't post any photos or video footage I took today, but Rick asked that I wait until he gives me the ok to do so.

OMG! Special Wee!!!

kimahri said:
rollermonkey said:

But Duke Nukem was plague with developer problems of them going bankrupt and swapping about. The hype is gathered in the start of it's life was massive, it was constantly bigged up as the best thing in existance.

Essentially if this was equivilent duke nukem it would have been passed arround to Intamin, B&M, Vekoma and god knows who else while promoting it like Cedar Fair or Six flags and it ends up being a disaster when it's finally done.

Think of it more as a loving fan remake that they keep delaying so they can get it just right. It's not going to be stellar but they put so much effort into making it what it is it'll be at least fun and interesting.

I'm not claiming my metaphor was perfect, but multiple developers and designers and manufacturers have been involved in this ride. It also got HUGE amounts of hype in enthusiast circles when it first became public what they were up to. The similarities to DNF pre-release are valid. It simply isn't open yet to see if the rest will play out similarly or not.