What's new

Kings Island | Mystic Timbers | GCI Wooden Coaster

You can see through the support structure at the bottom which to me rules out a drop mechanism. Safe to say that it's going to be a SFX type experience?

None of them are hybrids...? Unless you also (don't) count hybrid supports, but that still leaves Lightning Rod, Switchback, Roar o Saurus, Goliath(debatable), Gold Striker, Outlaw Run, and Flying Turns.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
I mean like, steel track.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The shed thing does slightly worry me...but not to the extent it's keeping me awake at night.

Kings Island has what, 12? 14 coasters? And the most gimmicky one is the Vekoma Flyer. I guess Backlot could also class as one. Anyway, the vast majority of them are "serious" coasters. The nice, straight down the line, pleasant sort that you'd take home to meet your mother. Suppose there is something gimmicky in the ****ing shed, it might cheapen the line up.

^ Considering Mystic Timbers is already subject to much debate in its selection, standing in the shadow of Beast.

The shed thing does slightly worry me...but not to the extent it's keeping me awake at night.

Kings Island has what, 12? 14 coasters? And the most gimmicky one is the Vekoma Flyer. I guess Backlot could also class as one. Anyway, the vast majority of them are "serious" coasters. The nice, straight down the line, pleasant sort that you'd take home to meet your mother. Suppose there is something gimmicky in the :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing shed, it might cheapen the line up.
At the announcement night, people were already comparing it unfavorably to Adventure Express.

At the announcement night, people were already comparing it unfavorably to Adventure Express.

Let me get this straight - people in Cincinnati were complaining about something!? :p

^ Considering Mystic Timbers is already subject to much debate in its selection, standing in the shadow of Beast.
WARNING! Post contains predictable "Beast at Night" comment.

Controversial here, but I don't think Beast is all that. Yes, I appreciate the engineering, the noise it makes, it's length and Beast at Night is a great experience (probably one of my top 5 ride experiences), but it's not the most thrilling of rides. I'd even go as far as saying it leans very slightly on the dull side. I have a feeling that Mystic Timbers might actually be a more rounded, fun experience compared to a Beast. Even at night.

^Yeah, I never got the whole Beast craze. Straight sections and slightly banked turns in the woods doesn't really appeal to me. Night might have a more 'out of control' feel, but it's still just straight sections and slightly banked turns.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

My cousin said the same thing! This will be WAY better than Adventure Express, even though that's one of the better mine trains.

Oh no, you called my bluff @Ian. Yes, Beast is all things considered an average ride. What makes it an outstanding and unique roller coaster is its heritage: The stories of in-house Kings Island designers walking through the forest, deciding which trees they wanted to avoid cutting down. The napkin John Allen jotted vector equations onto as advice for the park. Beast designer Charles Dinn leaving Kings Island to create Dinn Corporation, the grandfather company of modern wooden roller coasters that spawned Custom Coasters International, and GCI and Gravity Group in turn. All of that is what makes Beast a very good ride.

However, the ride itself consists of many straightaways and turns taken at moderate speeds. Outside of a phenomenal night ride sensation best experienced under specific circumstances (front seat, at night when it's a new moon, slightly chilly air); Beast's sheer size and scope are it's next best attributes. Beast in many ways reminds me of Gemini - a fun, good ride with nothing uniquely outstanding on the surface. Gemini in it's heyday however was the roller coaster to ride in America, simply due to it's world record claims and racing feature. It was ancillary attributes, rather than the ride layout itself, that made it stand out.

Mystic Timbers will indeed be a better average ride experience than Beast. But Mystic Timbers will also be competing against the culture that has been built around Beast, a culture that will have average park goers too quick to judge Mystic Timbers as a knock-off copy.