What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Is it only me who thinks that the park will look quite different to those original concepts when it eventually opens at this stage?

Also, is it only BBC and ITV left now? In that case, I reckon a TV theme park would be a good premise for this place; maybe they could get Sky and Channel 4 on board to make something akin to a TV version of Motiongate?
No, I don’t think it is just you.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Hayley's Gender Bender?! I think I just died of laughter! (As an avid Corrie fan, they are my favourite, I cannot wait to experience those extremely immersive attractions.) :D

Rupert

Mega Poster
Good to see this shambles get some critical national press attention:

“There is considerable cynicism about the project now,” says Prof Richard Scase of Kent Business School. “People have been hearing about this scheme for the last seven years. Like with the HS2 rail development it creates a planning blight affecting the value of properties; are roads being put in people’s back yards, will houses be compulsorily purchased, what about congestion? The initial enthusiasm of 2012 has evaporated. Theme parks are risky, is it really going to be an asset to the local community. The whole thing is shrouded in mystery and uncertainty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/06/uk-theme-park-london-resort-thunderbirds-star-trek

davidm

Strata Poster
Oh God it just keeps getting better...
TL;DR - PY Gerbeau eventually gets involved and Paramount are back (I kid you not!)

Actual press release ; http://londonresort.com/news/paramount-pictures-and-the-london-resort-reignite-partnership/

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Blimey, you're quick Dave - this story literally only just broke, and I jumped on here to spread the exciting news <cough>, and darn it, ya beat me to it!
So yeah. Paramount again huh? Cos that always works out well.

spicy

Giga Poster
Confused as to if this means something will actually happen or not?

Can only be a positive I guess.

Niles

Giga Poster
I feel like i'm stuck in a time loop with this topic, it looks like it going forward but then stops, then goes forward and then stops again.

hopefully it will happen but i wont hold my breath.

peep

CF Legend
Blimey, here we go again.

Found this line interesting, the way the media reacted to this part of the news previously I don't think we knew it was specifically this part of the brands...

The new deal will see Paramount join BBC Studios and ITV Studios, which has licensed its kids brands

cookie

Giga Poster
So it started as a Paramount park, Paramount dropped out, the resort acquired other licenses and then managed to convince Paramount to come back again.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Blimey, here we go again.

Found this line interesting, the way the media reacted to this part of the news previously I don't think we knew it was specifically this part of the brands...
Yeah, some of the papers have had information about Thunderbirds attractions.

So it started as a Paramount park, Paramount dropped out, the resort acquired other licenses and then managed to convince Paramount to come back again.

Paramount have been through a few changes themselves in the last few years so have different people in charge now.

davidm

Strata Poster
PY has been out doing some spin (well, after all thats what he's been brought in to do one would think) - he was on R4 yesterday apparently (did not catch that) but has got some traction with a relatively sensible BBC article today - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48831741

(sensible as in "businessy" rather than red-top "DisneylandLondon", although of course it does go on about Disney a bit)

peep

CF Legend
That article is interesting. I like how level-headed the tone of it is and I think some of the bits PY talks about are interesting.

It's a fully integrated entertainment destination. Today, the kids and younger generations like e-sports, gaming, interaction through technology. The kids who are 12 today will be our key target base in 2024.

Makes me wonder if this won't be as pshyical-ride heavy as we'd like. Could we now be seeing a more Sega Joypolis type place on a larger scale? Or it could mean absolutely nothing.

They keep saying they're now submitting plans early next year, lets see if they actually keep to that this time.