What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

That would be a shame because that Doctor Who show was **** awesome!

From what I can remember - they moved everything over to Cardiff and opened it permanently there? I may be incorrect though.

I dunno to be honest, it was three or four years ago I went and didn't follow it from there :)

It was in Cardiff to start with, but went "on tour" to the Olympia in 2011. It's been back in Cardiff Bay ever since.

Yeah, the Doctor Who Experience is now a permanent fixture in Cardiff Bay - right next to where they actually make the series, so you can tour the sets when they're not filming.

I'm sure they moved it from the Cardiff site TO London whilst they built the permanent building that now houses it?

I hope they at least partially go the Dis route with unique attractions not based on any IP.

There must be method in it else Disney wouldn't do it.

^ Yeah I was really interested in this now I'm not.

Dr Who used to like it now I don't even bother.

Top Gear as of late it's been crap.

Sherlock not interested at all.

Yes I know some love the above but it's just not me, just the same way as some feel about Disney.

Joey said:
I hope they at least partially go the Dis route with unique attractions not based on any IP.

There must be method in it else Disney wouldn't do it.

Having a quick gander at their plans for the Spainish Paramount Park, I doubt that'll be much of the case... Will most likely be a blend of Paramount IPs across a few lands and maybe a BBC centric area by itself... Or maybe both sets of IPs together...

The Murcia project is a completely separate entity though. They're not actually funded by Paramount and instead are just created using the brand Paramount by external investors. The only way both the projects are the same is that they're both using the Paramount brand, they're both theme parks with entertainment venues attached and that they're both in the works, apart from that, there's no correlation.

Lofty said:
I'm sure they moved it from the Cardiff site TO London whilst they built the permanent building that now houses it?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm guessing when they realised how successful it was.

It's in dire need of updating though. It's still based on the 2010 series with Matt Smith and some of the Daleks and other set pieces don't work properly. The props section remains magnificent though.

nealbie said:
Lofty said:

It's in dire need of updating though. It's still based on the 2010 series with Matt Smith and some of the Daleks and other set pieces don't work properly.
No, it isn't. The film walkthrough section stars Peter Capaldi, and many of the sets and props in the exhibition are from the two most recent series plus the Hartnell drama An Adventure In Time And Space.

Robbie said:
nealbie said:
Lofty said:

It's in dire need of updating though. It's still based on the 2010 series with Matt Smith and some of the Daleks and other set pieces don't work properly.
No, it isn't. The film walkthrough section stars Peter Capaldi, and many of the sets and props in the exhibition are from the two most recent series plus the Hartnell drama An Adventure In Time And Space.

This was in April 2014, when I most recently visited. But good to know they've FINALLY updated it.

Paramount London has signed up Aardman, the people behind Wallace and Gromit.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11813 ... s_to_park/

I assume because it's an even older IP compared to Angry Birds, Shrek and I'm a Celeb, they'll be several negative comments? People have to learn to take each announcement at it's face value and what it's worth to the overall scope of the park - not judging it on preconceptions of a brand or park operator.

^I think with regards to something like Wallace and Gromit, it already has a status as a classic British institution, and as such can never go out of date or out of fashion because it's not a 'fad', it has become an intrinsic part of British culture.

Unfortunately things like Angry Birds and I'm A Celeb are products of fad based pop culture and will eventually become irrelevant. Shrek is a bit weirder because yes whilst the Shrek films are generally known and liked, I wouldn't say they're loved in the same way something like Wallace and Gromit is.

My frustration with the likes of Merlin dumping for IPs like this is that they lack longevity, which in my opinion should be one of the key things looked at when choosing a theme for a new ride/attraction. Which again is why I was all for something like Doctor Who, but so against The Hunger Games.

Longetivity is also the reasoning why Thomas Land and Peppa Pig were excellent choices for their respective parks... Hell even Nickelodeon Land at Blackpool has a lot more longetivity than most of the Merlin additions (apart from CBeebies Land)...

Yep, I don't think you can say a bad thing about this addition to their line up of IPs. They've already been around for a long time, people of all ages in the UK are aware of who they are due to their classic Wallace and Gromit shorts to this year's Shaun the Sheep movie (which is the offspring of several series on CBBC and Cbeebies). Aardmans close link with the BBC and this looks like even more of a wise choice. Maybe even providing us with more of an idea of what the BBC involvement is.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Paramount are being unashamedly British about this project and they're making wise choices. What I do disagree with is the 'longevity' argument. I don't visit a theme park for an IP, I do so for the experience and thrills. It doesn't matter if I ride something once, five times or one hundred times, if the thrill-theme-fun formula is right, an IP is almost irrelevant. I'm not saying that I'm a Celeb, Shrek or Angry Birds are the wrong IPs to use, it's about the execution of attraction/area. Heck, I don't like Harry Potter but I was blown away by what I experienced at Universal Florida. We shouldn't automatically mock Merlin or praise Paramount (I like the alliteration there), instead see how it turns out.