What's new

Josh73's 2nd RCT3 Competition!!! Due date extended! (page 4)

Who shall win?

• thekingin64

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • reddude333

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • mouse

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • addy2053

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Re: Josh73's 2nd RCT3 Competition!!! Due date extended! (pag

Okay, here are my short reviews just for the sake of giving some feedback to my competitors. I will try to be honest while not sounding too harsh.

Thekingin64: First off, I will just say that I favored your entry over Addy2053's, but both left much to be desired. Pros: In terms of being a terrain coaster, I was glad to see how much Free Bird stuck to the ground. The final shot you posted from the mountaintop was nice and gave a great perspective of the coaster. The section with lots of trees seemed much more intense than the rest and had a nice ambiance to it. Cons: Besides the helix, the first half was fairly bland. Overall if you had incorporated more scenery items and had some interaction with them it would have made the coaster seem less "lonely". Using particle effects is good, but if they are left alone, they often seem out of place. For a flyer (considering the lack of inversion options) I would have liked to see you incorporate more variety. On a final note, although this may be a personal preference, I don't like drops that can't decide whether they want to be just slightly angled or steep; I feel it is unattractive to look at.

addy2503: Your coaster was no doubt unique but as I said before could have benefited from some extra effort put in after the layout was designed. Pros: I commend you for breaking way out of the norm and trying for a drifting coaster. The first drop was intense and the extensive use of helices played well with the coaster type you chose. Cons: In terms of being a terrain coaster, only a couple hills really fit that criteria. The land surrounding the coaster is devoid of theming whatsoever which made the entire ride seem less appealing from the start. Due to the nature of drifting coasters, switches in direction were just plain painful to watch and must be executed more carefully as to not cause backlash. Your coaster also had some of the same issues with drops that King's had. Hint: A predrop is not necessary for a coaster containing only one car, perhaps continue the drop into a banked curve instead of flattening out first.

Mouse: Your entry was great overall and truly had me worried about my fate in this competition. Pros: Stuck to the terrain very well and in places where it didn't, addition scenery (mostly trees) maintained the feel of being close to the ground. Theming all matched up well and colors complimented each other well. Variations in terrain color and height surrounding the coaster helped make it feel like the land was already there and the coaster was built on it (as opposed to vise-versa). The launch was smooth and the ride pacing was very realistic and felt natural. Good mix of banking angles. Cons: After the MCBR I see what you were going for but I personally felt like the transition into the overbanked drop was a tad slow. When taking pictures, cropping out the frame makes the shot look that much nicer. The station was nice but could have been improved upon. Overall great effort though and a quality product.

Final notes:
•Terrain should be completely smoothed out and seamless by the time an entry is submitted
•Station buildings will almost always look better if they cover more than just the "station track" and can be greatly enhanced with extra scenery items placed around
•Editing the options.txt file can make terrain issues practically vanish if done correctly (consult me if you want help with this)

Well put, exactly what I would have said. Thanks very much reddude! :D

My pleasure...although I doubt our evaluations parallel each other as much as you claim.

It's not what I would have said, for time's sake, but it is similar to my thoughts. ;)

Thank you! I agree with the steep/shallow hill but I had to do that really due to needing the lifthill and to make it stick to the ground a lot more. With themeing, I didn't want to overload the ride with trees which was the only theming that fitted I could put in.
Thinking back on it though, I could have put a few generic custom buildings in and make a village area. Hmm...

Really anything added can make a coaster look a lot better...If you look at my design it didn't have a ton of scenery outside of the lodge station building but the trees made it seem like a much more real place.

Reddude333 the only negative criticism I could give for your coaster was near the end the un-banked turns looked quite painful to go round. It was a joy watching the POV up to that point.

Thanks...as I explained multiple times though, my use of unbanked turns was quite intentional. If you have played RCT3 extensively you should know that transitions into banked turns are smoother from certain angles than from others. So (in reality) the turns I chose to leave unbanked would have actually been quite painful if they had been banked due to a jerky transition (thus my determination of which turns should be banked and which should not).

A small update for my (long overdue) entry!

I've now finished the station and the indoor section, added some trees, sorted out the terrain and rendered the terrain to mud.

Should be finished soon! :--D

For the the amount of time youve spent on it, I can't wait! :p

Thanks for you enthusiasm...although I might have to dwindle it a little.

Firstly, I haven't been spending every single night on Rct3 (although I wish that I could!) Infact, I've probably spent the same amount of time as the other contestants...just in blocks of 1 - 2 hours every 2 weeks.

And secondly...its STILL not finished yet! However, I have sorted out most of the terrain and the buildings so what you will see when I post the screenshots is almost finished...but not quite!

Sorry for delaying it so long...but I should get the screenshots done soon. :--D
Keep waiting and you shall be rewarded! :--D

Ok then...

Here are the screenshots:

Enjoy! (Hopefully)

CY1Jg.jpg

A picture from my last update. As you can see below, things have changed! :--D

gQjAs.jpg

A nice view of the coaster and all its scenery....

FRa8J.jpg

The brake run over the waterfall

zA3uD.jpg

The drop, lift hill, roll - over and a "nemesis like" banked turn. Not sure WHAT you call it!

gS6Si.jpg

L6Dw4.jpg

Station building and indoor section

yv0Sw.png

uGF2d.png

Inside the indoor section

XwlBq.jpg

It's amazing what a few trees can do!

Rlfl9.png

Queline, with a rather bored looking vendor!

So there ya go. :wink:

^ There ya go is my thing! :p

I'll post my review when I have time later, but looks great! Does it have a name.

^^The name is...Dragon's Venom!

^I have yet to finish this AND get a youtube account, so bear with me! :--D

Nice job! Could do with some more varied terrain textures, though.

Sand around lakes. Rocks on vertical surfaces. Patches of grass near vegetation. Darker soil underneath trees. Gravel around footers.

Also, the station itself would perhaps be a little bit better with only a flat roof behind the themed one. The current roof is... well, a little monotonous.

Looks great, though!

^Thanks!
I'll take those tips into account, even though I can't really be bothered to delete nearly all of the event buildings roof!

Not to be a downer or anything, but just sounds like you're being a bit lazy about it. I know for a fact it wouldn't take that long to replace the roof. And I would hope you could do at least a bit to fix all of the screwed up terrain. On the positive side, I think the top of the lift and that area is quite nice thanks to trees and smooth terrain.

I must admit it looks alright.
The waterfall element is a nice touch. But the roof on the station looks a bit spammy. There are also 'void' areas where not much is happening or being done.
The layout is very 'flat' which is quite a shame because the terrain around it is very very high.
Perhaps you were too ambitious with the size of the layout. Try spending more time or having a more condensed layout.

(I'm now going to have to check my own screen shots in another contest just in case I am guilty of hypocrisy)
[I don't seem to have been hypocritical in my comments. However I will steal the advice given of putting darker grass under vegetation, trying out rock terrain texture on slopes and I might chuck in a few rocks. I also just remembered I was going to mist-it-up]