What's new

Is the incredible hulk meant to be loud?

Lfisher92

Roller Poster
The incredible hulk at IOA is pretty loud, you can hear across most of the park. I like the sound as you could imagine that's what the green dude would sound like shouting. Is there any other rides which have been made with the sound in mind?

Ollie

CF Legend
That's just the roar of a B&M. <3
Nemesis is awesome at that as well. Once you were able to hear Nemmy all the way over from Spinball. :)
I don't think there are any coasters made because of the sounds they make. Some rides have barriers to stop the sound travelling and to stop the noise of people screaming (Silver Star has one of these on it's main drop).

Aaron

Hyper Poster
I love a good B&M roar, I also love listening to the supports (ooh not done that in a while!)

If you press your ear up to one it's an amazing sound as the train goes round! :)

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

tribar

Mega Poster
Yeah Beemers make cool noises. I also love Arrow chain lifts brakes as well as Morgan Brakes. And Beemer brakes :--D

A

Anonymous

Ollie said:
I don't think there are any coasters made because of the sounds they make.
I'm pretty sure that there were some newish B&M that didn't get filled with damping materials due to the fact that the park owners wanted the roar to increase the atmosphere in the area...
Just cant remember which though.

Lofty

CF Legend
loefet said:
Ollie said:
I don't think there are any coasters made because of the sounds they make.
I'm pretty sure that there were some newish B&M that didn't get filled with damping materials due to the fact that the park owners wanted the roar to increase the atmosphere in the area...
Just cant remember which though.

& Old. Wasn't Nemesis' track and supports NOT filled with sand purposely so it made a louder roar? I'm sure I've read that somewhere!

Yeah, there are a few loud coasters around, some are actually MEANT to be loud, others, not so much. The Big One, when it goes past the evacuation stairs, it sounds like some air brakes. It's just so loud.

I have to admit, I love the sound of woodies too. That age old sound is just fantastic.

Ben

CF Legend
^None of the old B&Ms are filled with sand... In the "old days" it was an opt-in to fill it with sand, now it seems like it's more of an opt-out.

Kraken's one that springs to mind as being an early one to be filled with sand.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I think also apart the normal roar, at IOA I suppose there is nothing stopping the sound travelling across the park as there is a huge frigging lake in the way :p.

Also, on the topic of sound, I miss corky's lift < / 3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As previously mentioned, B&M tracks are hollow on the inside, creating a fantastic acoustical trap that generates such a loud roar.

Mantis at Cedar Point was originally going to be named Banshee (a mythical creature that screamed before someone died), a name themed around the B&M roar.

So in short, yes, the Incredible Hulk is meant to be loud.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Nothing beats that B&M roar,to me that's a sign of a good coaster.

I think the louder a coaster,the more intimidating it becomes.

michaellll

Mega Poster
When I was really young the B&M roar was the most intimidating thing about the Hulk. For the longest time I was hesitant to ride just for that reason.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Kumba's gotten really loud as well the past year or two... I guess that makes sense, as Kumba translates to "Roar" in some African language.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Swarms supports will filled with sand to try and reduce the noise...

I really do love the roar on B&M's...nemesis is probably like that because of the tunnels but you can hear oblivion too. I suppose if the supports are hollow then they'll be an echo, so in theory, the wider the supports, the more noise!

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^It was because the 'noise pollution' would affect the lives of the locals, (however they were the one's that raised the height of stealth). Raptor has quite a nice roar and it's a shame Swarm won't have one.

Does anyone know of any Intamin coasters that have a roar?

Xpress

Strata Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
It was because the 'noise pollution' would affect the lives of the locals

This is the reason SilverBullet was filled with sand. Although it's interesting to see that train scream overhead and you hear nothing but the clacking of the restraints.

Does anyone know of any Intamin coasters that have a roar?

Some of the Intamin hypers/accelerators do.