What's new

Is it a cred? - A general discussion topic

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How about these Chinese "Rainbow Shuttle" things:

DSC06247_zpsebc5mihc.jpg

DSC06248_zpswujgzhxw.jpg

RCDB doesn't list them, but Coaster-Count does under "undefined". Well, they do now after I sent a couple of them in a while back. They're basically like a mini half-pipe. The only difference is that the power to propel them up the spikes comes from the car, not the track. You can see the power cables leading down to each car.

They're propelled up the spikes and then definitly coast back down, getting higher and higher with each launch. Like I said, in the same way as a Half Pipe, but with the launch coming from a different source. I count them since they feel the same but on a smaller scale.

I found these ones the other day in India. I'm assuming they're also Chinese since their other coasters are and they look/ride exactly the same:

SAM_0981_zpsoerq0plj.jpg

SAM_0986_zpstbdlltxa.jpg

SAM_1016_zpsgzkmxc8l.jpg

SAM_1029_zpsmtz4q827.jpg

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Wow, I remembered this thread was a thing - didn't realise it hadn't been touched for almost 2 and a half years though...

Anyways, went to Flamingo Land for the first time today, and I feel really dirty calling Zooom! a cred. It sounds stupid, I know - it clearly looks like a cred, right?

With dubious, non-powered, creds, I always ask myself one question - "Does it 'coast' upwards?". If it does, it's a cred, if it doesn't, then it isn't. And that always seemed to help distinguish things for me.

But Zoom doesn't coast upwards. You crawl up the lift hill, then you very slowly make your way back down to station level, hardly realising you're on a downward slant.

So yeah, my logic for trying to determine what a cred is has been thrown a bit out the window by this "obvious cred". Anyone else had this huge crisis, or am I just thinking about it too much?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
My vague rule is if it looks like coaster track and it coasts then it's a cred. So Zoooooom is deffo one and I'd also count Fuga de Atlantide at Gardaland but not Chiapas even though that has the airtime hill.

I was a bit stumped by Grand National last week though. I only rode one half of the mobius loop but I feel as though I've more ridden the coaster than not ridden it so I'm going to put it down as a +1. Felt a bit filthy counting Steeplechase as a +3 but rules are rules!

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
The way I see it, if I've had a full cycle of a coaster on one particular structure (regardless of how many tracks are attached to that structure), I've had one credit. My way of counting means I count National and Steeplechase as one credit each as the different tracks don't for me give substantially different rides. Stampida is the tricky one for me because there is a significant difference in layout between them, but I'm still just about coming down in favour of calling it one credit .

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Okay, I need to hear opinions on two strange rides that I consider credits and others might not.

I haven't ridden either of the type; I'd count them, but would you guys consider Zipline Coasters...
maxresdefault.jpg

...or Bayern Curves credits?
1200px-Bayern_Kurve_Day_1.jpg

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Omg, Bayern Kurve!
I haven't seen that one for like 18 years!
Dunno if I'd consider it a cred, as it's pretty much like Slinky Dog in Disney?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Bayern Kurve, no. Six Flags New England had one until the late 90's, in the Riverside days, I rode the hell out of it.... And even as a child.... Before "credits" and counting.... Never did it cross my mind that it was // could be.... A coaster. But it was <3<3<3
(Unlike say, a Zamp powered Dragon... As Canobie has one of those and again, in the same time frame // age // mindset, always 'felt' it *was* a coaster)

Matt N

CF Legend
Now I know that this isn't an "is it a cred?" debate, as this is undeniably a cred. But I just wanted to ask; would you guys call Grand National 2 separate credits? I probably won't when I go to BPB and hopefully ride it in August, because in my opinion, Nash is a bit different from duelling coasters because it is actually one ride system with two separate stations. I'd class it as a self-duelling coaster, so it isn't 2 separate creds, in my opinion. If it were a racing coaster, like Colossus at SFMM was, for example, then I would class it as 2 creds. However, it is one track with two stations, so I won't class it as 2 creds. Steeplechase, on the other hand, would class as 3 creds, in my eyes, because they are separate tracks.

Will

Strata Poster
Grand National and Steeplechase are each 1 cred in my book; not possible to express a meaningful preference for either track.

Peet

Giga Poster
I'd say its one cred, and as it is one continuous track you have to ride both sides in order to get that cred.
Naah just doing one side of the Nash is definitely a cred! I wouldn't count the second side as a separate cred though. But I don't currently count any multi-lane coasters as multiple creds; I could get a cheeky +5 overnight if I did.

Matt N

CF Legend
Each to their own, I suppose! I agree with you all in classing Nash as 1 cred, but I'd definitely class Steeplechase as 3! If Nash were 2 separate, identical tracks on 1 structure, then it would be two creds, but as it's one continuous track, it's only 1, in my eyes!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but would you guys class Seuss Trolley Train Ride at IOA as a cred? I've never even thought about classing it as a cred, because it is a Severn Lamb monorail, but for some reason, some class it as a cred. Do you guys class it as a cred?

The reason I don't count Seuss, despite having ridden it in 2014, is because it seems to be completely powered along its course, with no coasting involved whatsoever, in the same way that a monorail is. However, with a powered coaster, despite it also being powered, there is an element of coasting involved, if you get what I mean. Also, it's not on RCDB or Captain Coaster, which are two of the main sources I go off of to determine whether something is a cred or not.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Sorry to bump the thread, but would you guys class Seuss Trolley Train Ride at IOA as a cred? I've never even thought about classing it as a cred, because it is a Severn Lamb monorail, but for some reason, some class it as a cred. Do you guys class it as a cred?.
I'd say its a MACK built ride.... C-C has it listed as a coaster and I have it marked off as ridden there... but I don't personally count it.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'd say its a MACK built ride.... C-C has it listed as a coaster and I have it marked off as ridden there... but I don't personally count it.
I don't class it as a cred either, because if I were to class it as a cred, I feel like I would also have to count rides like Get Set Go at Alton Towers.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but I've got another one; Ghost Train at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I would personally say no, as despite the drop, the ride looks to have more of a car ride type system than a coaster system. However, I have heard someone class it as a coaster before.

I've just thought of another one from BPB; an ex-ride that used to be there called Vikingar. If you're wondering what it is, it is the ride in pictures 4, 5 and 6 on RCDB's BPB page. Now I'm not too sure on this one, as I think it looks like a regular shoot-the-chutes ride, but it apparently used to be on RCDB, and I've heard multiple people class it as a coaster.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Strange Matt, I was going to post up the Ghost Train an hour ago, but couldn't be arsed.
When you go in a few weeks, even if you don't go on it, give it a good look for a few minutes, then tell me it doesnt tick all the boxes.
Yes it is a powered train for the majority of the ride, but...
Chain lift, freefall wooden real drop and rise, it rolls and coasts better than a lot of "real " coasters do.
Good job I don't do creds!

Matt N

CF Legend
Strange Matt, I was going to post up the Ghost Train an hour ago, but couldn't be arsed.
When you go in a few weeks, even if you don't go on it, give it a good look for a few minutes, then tell me it doesnt tick all the boxes.
Yes it is a powered train for the majority of the ride, but...
Chain lift, freefall wooden real drop and rise, it rolls and coasts better than a lot of "real " coasters do.
Good job I don't do creds!
I'll be sure to have a good look!

Out of interest, @rob666; what are your thoughts on Vikingar's status as a credit, as I'm not too sure myself.