What's new

Is inverted air time possible?

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
So on Zadra there's that beautiful hangtime element under the lift hill, what happens if they put an air-time hill style piece of track on the upside down bit? Would you get ejector hangtime? Has it been done?

Edit: Added Planet Coaster pictures to show what I mean:

Planet Coaster 19_08_2019 12_02_04.jpg

Planet Coaster 19_08_2019 12_02_59.jpg

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
What you're describing hasn't been done as far as I can think of, but it sounds awful.

The RMC zero-g stalls are perfection. They somehow manage to feel like floater airtime rather than hangtime. They really don't need to be f**ked with.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When you're hanging upside-down on a Screaming Squirrel you're experiencing -1G. It's the same force feeling you'd get on one of Skyrush's-1G hills. The reason Skyrush's hill 'feels' more forceful is all those rate-of-change things we've talked about in great length before.

If you want an inverted 0G hill, then you just do what B&M do on their hypers but flip the track. It's pretty simple, really. If you want to give that feeling of being dumped out the seat, you just draw the hill out a bit more and target the 0.2G hill (and flip the track). You can also vary the hill profile to give you that little pop right at the top.

That said, I'd argue that any G-forces under the -0.5G mark is going to feel a lot more like hangtime - especially if you've got the visual cues of being upside-down. What you've drawn would be something awful like -3G and be foul. :p And no, I'm not sure anyone has ever made anything like that before.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
That drawing you have there shows -4.4 G. If sustained for any time longer than a very short moment, it will probably lead to brain damage. And even if it's momentary, it will feel like a very nasty blow to the head - from the inside. Your head is full of all these little veins and blood vessels that are conditioned to quite low pressure. Blood usually flows away from them due to gravity, after all. When you hang upside down for a minute or so, in regular gravity, the blood flow to your head is enough to overload your brain and you may faint. Add a few Gs of acceleration, and the blood flow will simply burst all those little veins and vessels.

So yeah, anything above -1G can be painful. Above -2, dangerous. Some info at the bottom of our Physics page takes it over from there.

TL;DR - ejector hangtime is not a good idea.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
When you're hanging upside-down on a Screaming Squirrel you're experiencing -1G. It's the same force feeling you'd get on one of Skyrush's-1G hills. The reason Skyrush's hill 'feels' more forceful is all those rate-of-change things we've talked about in great length before.

I thought Skyrush pulled -2G's on the second hill?

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
The diagram was just to show the shape I meant, I made it bigger just to make it easier to see.

So why couldn't you do that but with a small bump in the upside down section to get to -0.5g to -1g? It seems like it'd be a super weird sensation to have a little hop when you're already upside down.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I thought Skyrush pulled -2G's on the second hill?
Semantics. ;)

So why couldn't you do that but with a small bump in the upside down section to get to -0.5g to -1g? It seems like it'd be a super weird sensation to have a little hop when you're already upside down.
You could, but the shape of the element to go from -0.5G to -1G would look like this (train shown both normal and inverted through the element):
SGuOjsP.png

You could so something like you suggest, but you'd very quickly get into the realms of discomfort. For the forces to managed reasonably well, you'd have a very long element or a very painful one. :p

I dunno, Schilke or S&S will probably try it at some point!