What's new

Intamin

Joey said:
nealbie said:
Ben said:
They did make Rita, Colossos, Goliath... <3

Swap the first one for the looping bundle of JOY at Thorpe and you've got yourself an accord! :p
Why.... do you like Colossus so much?

Because it's AMAZING beyond all words <3

It brings me immense happiness on many, MANY inappropriate levels.

nealbie said:
Joey said:
nealbie said:
Ben said:

Swap the first one for the looping bundle of JOY at Thorpe and you've got yourself an accord! :p

I should have nominated you for spammer of the year.

Joey said:
nealbie said:
Joey said:
nealbie said:
Ben said:

Because I'm expressing an obsession with a roller coaster, on a roller coaster forum? :p ;)

nealbie said:
Joey said:
nealbie said:
Joey said:
nealbie said:
Ben said:

Because I'm expressing an obsession with a roller coaster, on a roller coaster forum? :p ;)
No, because you've stated so twice, not given any reasons and not contributed to the thread topic really. :p

<3 you though.

^I think that argument sums it up really, whether a ride is good or not is always going to be subjective. But there certainly are a number of misconceptions about Intamin going around here. Perhaps the most prominent is whether Thirteen was a world first or not. Listening to John Wardley’s narrative of the project on the Season Pass Podcast does indeed confirm that the Maurer Sohne spinner trick track was a source of inspiration for Thirteen. You may recall Alton Towers has its very own Maurer Sohne spinner. John Wardley stated that Sonic Spinball was originally planned to have a trick track (which would explain that pre-lift straight) but was cut for budgetary reasons.

Besides, Thirteen’s indoor drop is true freefall. Whereas I believe Winjas is simulated? Alton Towers needed a company with experience in designing magnetic braking systems. Intamin certainly has an enormous portfolio of magnetically braked drop towers and launch coasters. And the result with Thirteen is a very well engineered roller coaster. Literally no time is spent waiting for mechanisms to lock in at the bottom of Thirteen’s drop, and that is the true innovation of Thirteen.

Maverick’s problem wasn’t a miscalculation either. The fact is Maverick worked with the heart-line roll, the trains were withstanding the force and would have done so for a further four years had it been kept. I believe an executive or two even rode Maverick with the roll in the layout. The problem was fatigue and without strengthening the trains, yes they would have needed replacing in due course.

But hang on, anyone recall Battlestar Galactica’s problems with fatigue this year? A seat fell off! And that was a Vekoma design. Maurer Sohne also found fatigue issues with their X-Car design very recently. X-car operators are now required to inspect their train links more frequently until a replacement is ready. Anyone know when Ring Racer (S&S launch) is due to open? Or flying turns for that matter?

To be honest, Intamin are just like any other roller coaster manufacturer when it comes to incident rates. All manufacturers suffer incidents, including B&M. A steel beam for Air’s rider positioning system broke (physically snapped), I think opening day, but certainly within the first week of operation. I think it’s just that Intamin is a high-profile company for doing some crazy things, and as result, I believe, are scrutinized more than most when it comes to incidents.

Maverick’s problem wasn’t a miscalculation either. The fact is Maverick worked with the heart-line roll, the trains were withstanding the force and would have done so for a further four years had it been kept. I believe an executive or two even rode Maverick with the roll in the layout. The problem was fatigue and without strengthening the trains, yes they would have needed replacing in due course.
What do you mean it wasn't miscalculation? Presumably they wanted Maverick to last more than 4 years when they designed it, otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. So it wasn't fit for purpose.

Just out of curiosity, where has it been confirmed what the issue actually was? Where did you get this "4 years" from?

Besides, Thirteen’s indoor drop is true freefall. Whereas I believe Winjas is simulated? Alton Towers needed a company with experience in designing magnetic braking systems. Intamin certainly has an enormous portfolio of magnetically braked drop towers and launch coasters. And the result with Thirteen is a very well engineered roller coaster. Literally no time is spent waiting for mechanisms to lock in at the bottom of Thirteen’s drop, and that is the true innovation of Thirteen.
Yes everyone knows this, the point was Intamin are certainly not more innovative than Vekoma. The idea of a moving track section had been around for years and Winjas had already demonstrated a drop. All Intamin were doing was "better" the idea. And even then, it was Wardley who came up with and pushed for the idea of an actual drop, Intamin just agreed to do it.

Thanks for explaining where the info came from.

The issue I find with the roll on Maverick is that they must have known it would behave in a similar fashion to how it did. They can't know spot on, but they must have had some idea. The fact it simply looked ridiculous before even seeing a train move around it and that so many of us thought just that when it was built, illustrates my point.

I'm glad they are brave and boundary pushing, it's just interesting and a little odd. Perhaps the fact that they dominate so much of the market, like you pointed out, is partially how they get away with it.

BGW's head of engineering said to a friend of mine that they dislike working with Intamin because they are unreliable.

You're getting hung up over a point I'm not defending. I'm not saying Intamin are ****, I'm just questioning why their "issues" seem to numerous. They either are numerous, or just seem it because they are the more adventurous of the two major companies. Personally, I think it's both, and it's blatantly obvious that's the case.

It does matter what a bunch of enthusiasts think and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise. It's like suggesting that because I'm not a nutritionist, I can't tell that KFC's Double Down must be horrendously bad for me. I'm not saying that we're all far more knowledgable than the professionals, but are you effectively suggesting that it was a complete coincidence that Maverick's roll looked ridiculous and then turned out to be incredibly forceful and would cause structural damage? It's fine if you are, that's perfectly possible, it just seems quite unlikely. Does it seem more likely that Intamin ****ed up calculations? Well, no, I guess not. I just literally cannot see how they wouldn't have been able to calculate close to what they should expect in real life and I would have thought that you should leave some room either side of that prediction. If the prediction was that way off, then I hope Intamin have figured out why.

The issue I have is whenever Intamin are defended you get long winded answers to why this wasn't their fault and that wasn't their fault, but they are always the common denominator and it's always something mind-numbing simplistic. What on earth happened with the miscommunication about boat sizes on shoot-the-rapids, for example? Not their fault, it was the other company? Possibly, but again, common denominator.

EDIT: Also, with regard to what Sandor said. There's numerous issues there all summed up into; he's defending himself and his company and choosing his words wisely, obviously. I heard that twist was pushing 6g, but like that's any more reliable than his words. Acceptable and preferred are two very different things. You don't want your ride making everyone light headed, sick and not want to ride again if you can help it.

But also, is the intensity felt by riders and the strain on the structure itself are both effects of the same thing?

Edit

It does matter what a bunch of enthusiasts think and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise. It's like suggesting that because I'm not a nutritionist, I can't tell that KFC's Double Down must be horrendously bad for me.
Actually, KFC's Double Down is surprisingly healthy. It's only around 660 calories, which isn't all that bad in the fast food world. I mean, it's actually within the acceptable parameters for a meal. Still, nice metaphor.

UC said:
They either are numerous, or just seem it because they are the more adventurous of the two major companies. Personally, I think it's both, and it's blatantly obvious that's the case.

Blatantly obvious?

Yes, because you know exactly what happens every time a roller coaster is closed, right?

I don't think anything here is "blatantly obvious." I think to suggest such is grossly ignorant.

It does matter what a bunch of enthusiasts think and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise. It's like suggesting that because I'm not a nutritionist, I can't tell that KFC's Double Down must be horrendously bad for me

No, it's not like that at all. As a consumer, you have access to plenty of nutritional information, and your experience in directly dealing with other, similar foods can assist you in making such educated decisions.

When it comes to roller coasters, 90% of the time, those outside of the park and manufacturer never get to know what the exact issue is.

Therefore, to look at something like this and say "Well, that looks bad," be it a ride element or a closure, is irrelevant - because yes, it does require some experience to make truly educated guesses.

Heck, even people WITH the experience can't make them at times. You think Cedar Point and Intamin went with the roll "for the hell of it?" Spent all that money, delayed a widely-anticipated opening of a major, major attraction at one of the premier U.S. theme parks because "eh...it looks a little weird...but what the heck, let's give it a shot?"

Goodness Joey, I don't know WHY they didn't just register on CoasterForce to ask some fifteen-year-old's opinion on the subject. They could've saved a lot of time, money, and effort.

I'm not saying that we're all far more knowledgable than the professionals, but are you effectively suggesting that it was a complete coincidence that Maverick's roll looked ridiculous and then turned out to be incredibly forceful and would cause structural damage?

Yes, I do call that a coincidence. If I said that because that car is red, it will probably have a manual transmission, I'm going to hit one sooner or later. It doesn't exactly take a genius or an "enlightened" individual to make a hundred guesses and get one right. What irritates me is your insistence that such a thing somehow means enthusiasts have any real knowledge over how something is going to perform based on how it looks.

After all, if that were the case, surely these elements:

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p160137 ... aconda.jpg
http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p24723.jpg
http://www.rcdb.com/m/1354.htm?p=11934
http://www.themeparkreview.com/spacewor ... orld05.jpg
http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p15278.jpg

Would have been axed a long time ago? Yet all perform(ed) perfectly fine. I won't dive deeper in to it, but if you want to look at some more things that look weird and work... http://coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27995

Heck, Hydra is a perfect example. The entire thing is jilted and distorted. Another great example in the upcoming months will be the new Texas Giant - people have been ripping its looks to shreds, even going so far as saying the track doesn't even look like it lines up!

I just literally cannot see how they wouldn't have been able to calculate close to what they should expect in real life and I would have thought that you should leave some room either side of that prediction.

Well, for starters, Maverick's train design was fairly new, wasn't it? The trains have fixed permanent magnets on them, and they're shorter...

Since then, I know Fahrenheit has similar trains (almost the only thing it shares with Maverick, despite the comparisons), and that hasn't had any issues, right? Seems to me like when Intamin realized their limit with said trains, they didn't try to touch that boundary to me again...

This is where I wish I still had the post that explained the issue. In it, Sandor explicitly stated (as I said above) that according to computer simulation, the element ran perfectly as expected, and he himself had ridden it, and said that while intense, the element was well within tolerances. However, it was stated that the fatigue factor - the reason it was removed - could not have been predicted before physical testing.

Which is why I urge you to grasp the concept that physical testing is just an extension of computer-generated testing. It exists for the exact purpose that Maverick's roll removal demonstrated - to pick up issues that could not have been predicted using other means. It is VERY common (in fact, I'd bet that not an installation goes by without it) for things to be changed from the original design after physical testing begins, and it in no way means failure by the manufacturer, unless the issue cannot be fixed.

This physical testing and adjustment process is even MORE crucial for a company like Intamin, where they routinely push the limits of both the industry and their own ride systems, as opposed to B&M, who (as stated before) are generally comfortable staying within their "known" boundaries.

Unfortunately, in the case of Maverick, one of the testing issues that required changing was something involving one of the more interesting elements of the ride, and the fixed turned out to be a very visible replacement. Thus, the rather "normal" process of adjustment became a tool with which enthusiasts used to beat Intamin over the head with. Quite unfortunate, seeing as how the same people consistently have rides like El Toro and SFNE's Superzarro in their lists of favorite rides.

The issue I have is whenever Intamin are defended you get long winded answers to why this wasn't their fault and that wasn't their fault, but they are always the common denominator and it's always something mind-numbing simplistic. What on earth happened with the miscommunication about boat sizes on shoot-the-rapids, for example? Not their fault, it was the other company? Possibly, but again, common denominator.

No, I'm not suggesting that accidents don't happen. After all, one can view what happened on S:RoS SFNE as a clear oversight in restraint design. I believe it was even admitted as such, if not directly, then by when nearly every similar ride had a restraint retro-fit done.

However, these issues are a common denominator throughout the industry. The fact of the matter is, when you build so many rides, things are bound to go wrong. It happens with everything, in every industry. Aircraft. Shipping. Cars. You name it.

Of course, you're going to come back and say something to the effect of "Well Intamin have a lot of issues, it seems, and other companies don't." No, I don't see that as the case at all. It seems the issues Intamin coasters have had have been much higher profile, yes, but you're an idiot if you think B&M coasters don't have their faults - and a quick look in to the accident history of amusement parks in general will reveal that everyone shares some responsibility.

Your "common denominator" theory is absolute BS, because that's exactly what you're going to get if you look at it using one company. To say someone is to blame simply because their name is there is a ridiculous theory. It's easy to do that on the surface, but look deeper and you'll find more explanation.

I just think you're very quick to throw blame around without actually knowing what the exact issue is.

EDIT: Also, with regard to what Sandor said. There's numerous issues there all summed up into; he's defending himself and his company and choosing his words wisely, obviously. I heard that twist was pushing 6g, but like that's any more reliable than his words. Acceptable and preferred are two very different things. You don't want your ride making everyone light headed, sick and not want to ride again if you can help it.

Oh, I see - so the President himself isn't to be trusted when he comments on the issue, but the 15-year old Joe Schmoe from Supercoasterz dot com is capable of convincing you that the roll should've been removed in the first place because it "looked funny?"

And where are you getting this 6g statistic anyway? A friend of a friend?

You see the problem here?

You're so quick to sit back and say that "enthusiast opinion absolutely matters" - yet when pressed for actual facts and back-up on it, it's rare that enthusiasts can actually back up what they're saying, because 99% of them don't have any real reason other than speculation for saying it.

When your primary arguments are "Well, that looks sort of funny" and "I have a friend that knows a friend who knows a guy that works for *insert park name here*," you need to be willing to defer to the case of professionals when discussing matters that involve the integrity of their companies and quality of their work.

Even I, for all of my opinionated posts and what I feel are fact-backed arguments, wouldn't dare for a second to comment on a technical aspect that I do not have adequate knowledge in - and when I do, and am corrected by someone who does know, I always admit the flaw in my original point/fact/whatever. That, for those of you who noticed, is why I do not tend to associate myself with "enthusiasts."

But also, is the intensity felt by riders and the strain on the structure itself are both effects of the same thing?

Yes and no. There are two important factors.

1. Rides are designed around a general human body model - just like everything else is in this world - that is "known" to be capable of withstanding certain forces. This is not changed, and is consistent for pretty much everything out there. For example, it's generally unacceptable for rides to sustain more than 3 positive gs for anything other than a short period of time, and it's usually unacceptable for rides to "spike" above 6 positive gs. Obviously there is a tiny bit of leeway on this, but there are set guidelines.

With structures, the guidelines are set by the design and type of material. Something made out of steel is going to be "stronger" than something made out of wood, although something made out of wood is going to flex more. Depending on what it is you're designing, everything from wheel placement to support structure to chassis placement to seat placement to weight distribution is all going to have an effect. It's not a set "standard" of guidelines like the human body is.

2. Fatigue. Generally, a person is only going to ride a ride once or twice. The trains, on the other hand, cycle hundreds or thousands of times a day. Fatigue was the reason Maverick's roll was removed, just like I'm sure if you rode Maverick all day, every day, for a year, you'd probably get pretty screwed up too. Fatigue is a factor that really isn't going to have a great effect on the human body when it comes to ride design - but it's absolutely, completely essential to monitor when it comes to the ride structure itself.

Bit OT, but this has got to be the longest post that does not contain images on CF...

Just sayin...

Yeah, not only is that post really OTT, he's getting hung up over comments in peoples posts that aren't where he should be focusing, taking them out of context and blowing them out of proportion as if they were the main point.

You can't break parts of someone's post down like that and then expect to respond to what they are saying as a whole, because you're not getting the entire gist, you're too busy getting hung up over bits which contribute to the whole but as stand alone points don't have any weight.

Making your opponent frustrated and bored does not mean you win. This is a ****ing coaster forum. If you think anyone here has the time or can be bothered to read that, well, I'm glad you've got so much time to waste.

On skim reading your post, I want to just add that you totally miss that I'm unbiased. You're attacking one side of what I have to say. For example...

And where are you getting this 6g statistic anyway? A friend of a friend?

You see the problem here?
Er, yes? Here's the actual comment you're responding to...
I heard that twist was pushing 6g, but like that's any more reliable than his words.
And in the greater context of the entire paragraph you quoted, it's even more clear that I'm quite unbiased.

Whatever.

I'm not offended, I'm aggravated. You are frustrating. You know you are frustrating and you think that by frustrating people you "win". That's ALL there is to it.

And you're right, I can't be bothered to read a long ****ing post when this should be for fun.

The end. Thanks for sapping the fun out of the forums.

Can someone just delete page 3 please? (hahaha, Page 3)

Back to Intamin..

I'd like to know why they designed Rita with a giant kink in the second corner.

Intamin's problem with the restrains was due to the ride operator letting a very disproportioned man ride SROS. He fell out because his proportions were similar to that of a little tikes or, peter griffin.

They now have seatbelts installed and i think they also changed the restraints.

That seems to be the most outstanding accident in my mind along with Hydro and the de-railment which happened recently. But today i think intamin have the same credibility as B&M, to me they are very acomplished in what they do.

On the documentary which features the building of Tatsu, they test the ride physically for the first time. They grease the track and make as many adjustments to make the ride complete the course. Apparently it made it round several seconds faster than they had anticipated in the design..