What's new

Im off to Japan to help out 18-24th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Giga Poster
So as the title says I will be off to Japan for 6 days to help out over there in any way I can.

At the moment the organiser Akemi is in contact with the Japanese Red Rross so we can do a bit of fundrasing before and after this trip.

This is a quote off the volunteer Facebook page more is going to happen as organised.
How :
We will bring British toys, balloon, children's book and cheer up the children in refuged place. We move with British flag. Maybe Pika-Chu and other cosplay will be good.

We will interview and film in Japan. This film is shown in our event on the 15th May in London.

Why :
When Akemi sensei's daughter was five, there was Kobe earthquake. They had lived in Tokyo, but still she had nightmare and cried. We can help children who have to live in refuged place.

Another event I will be at as a direct result is:
Play for Japan – Japan Aid
On the 15th May (Sunday)
Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, Holborn

There will be more fundraiding and a bits linked in with this trip see here.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138368482900345

Also more info on the volunteer group is here
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 346&ref=ts

Will keep every one updated as and when I know :--D

Steven

Giga Poster
Look David I wanted a nice topic here. An informative one if nothing else. Not one for you to slate me off even more.

If you can’t take the Japan Crisis seriously I really pity you. Take a look at what is actually happening and wake up to the fact that they do need help and it's no joke or a laughing matter.

Here is a link to the bbc I hope you start taking it more seriously:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12711226

:arrow: Any way moving on got a brief time table today

Monday: Fly out from Heathrow. With 1/2 Bags of Toys, Games etc whilst the other 1/2 is my cloths and essentials.
Tuesday: Land at airport. Shower. Visit shrine and report in. Then have dinner at local pub.
Wednesday: Visit Tokyo and recover from jet lag. We will be buying Manga, Anime etc for the kids.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday: Help out the refuge camp.
Sunday: Fly Home

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Steven said:
Look David I wanted a nice topic here. An informative one if nothing else. Not one for you to slate me off even more.

If you can’t take the Japan Crisis seriously I really pity you. Take a look at what is actually happening and wake up to the fact that they do need help and it's no joke or a laughing matter.

I think we are all taking it seriously. If you'd bothered to read the Japan topic, you'd know that. :roll:

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... hp?t=29998

Any way moving on got a brief time table today

Monday: Fly out from Heathrow. With 1/2 Bags of Toys, Games etc whilst the other 1/2 is my cloths and essentials.
Tuesday: Land at airport. Shower. Visit shrine and report in. Then have dinner at local pub.
Wednesday: Visit Tokyo and recover from jet lag. We will be buying Manga, Anime etc for the kids.
So how does this work, you buy the flights and the toys and they just help you set up contacts etc?

Steven

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
Steven said:

I think we are all taking it seriously. If you'd bothered to read the Japan topic, you'd know that. :roll:

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... hp?t=29998

Any way moving on got a brief time table today

So how does this work, you buy the flights and the toys and they just help you set up contacts etc?

a) Aimed at David not CF. Hence 'Look David' first off. (Now no more about that please)
b) I have to pay a certain amount for flights, transport, B and B etc see a link in first post and all of the contacts etc it is set up by organiser.
Regarding toys etc I will be fundrasing for toys games etc. And when I get over ther thats when I buy anime manga etc.

davidm

Strata Poster
Steven said:
a) Aimed at David not CF.
David said:
Hasn't Japan had enough disasters recently?
Aimed at you and not Japan.

--

So the £600+ flight you need raise money for, plus how ever much expenses you rattle up in a week in Japan (I'm doing you the favour of assuming that you board&lodgings are not too expensive and you are not going to need to raise another £100/day hotel etc expenses), plus the inconvienece factor of real aid workers having to put up with a bunch of "disaster tourists" for THREE DAYS (3 whole days FFS!) far outweights donating that amount of money (or even a fraction of it) to a real aid agency? Say this one; http://www.redcross.org.uk/japantsunami who I'd suggest might be slightly better equipped to "help out" rather than "hinder".

Your heart might seem to be in the right place; your brain on the other hand....

'just sayin.

Steven

Giga Poster
You know when blocking users come into place here, my am I going to be happy.

And just to let you know we are also fundraising and getting help from the Japanese Red Cross.

Also my money raised and donated by me to Red Cross is about £350 atm it will go up with the amount of events I am doing.

In the group raising event I participated in last time it was about £300 we raised.

Off to a West end show now so Ill see what sort of response this gets overnight.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The point he's making is why not just give ALL the money you raise to Red Cross?

You've raised around £350, excluding flights etc, so why not just donate £1000 to Red Cross, instead of giving £350 to Red Cross and spending the rest on being in Japan for three days (and you're only actually on the refugee camp ONE day)?

Steven

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
The point he's making is why not just give ALL the money you raise to Red Cross?

You've raised around £350, excluding flights etc, so why not just donate £1000 to Red Cross, instead of giving £350 to Red Cross and spending the rest on being in Japan for three days (and you're only actually on the refugee camp ONE day)?

Hixee do you ever read my posts I suggest reading them properly.

Also £350 isnt for this trip it is seperate from this.

Steven

Giga Poster
Snoo thanks for your comment sorry about the timewasters in here could you expand and say why please. Thanks

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Steven said:
Hixee said:

Hixee do you ever read my posts I suggest reading them properly.

Also £350 isnt for this trip it is seperate from this.
Well do you want to explain yourself more clearly?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^What are you talking about?!

Explain to me where the money for all of this has come from and how it wouldn't all be better spent being donated.

davidm

Strata Poster
Ok simple Steven;

You have raised £350 so far - donated that to a real aid agency - BRILLIANT, I really mean that, well done.

I don't quite follow what you meant by the "group raising event I participated in last time it was about £300 we raised" - but for the sake of argument I'll assume that means you are going to raise another £300 and give that to a real aid agency. Again; BRILLIANT. And again I really mean that.

--

Now on top of that, you need to raise (pay) another £600+ flight plus "B&B" plus buying toys for the kids, hey lets call it an even £1500 (which is 5 times the amount of that previous group raising event you mentioned - and thats 5 times per person!!!).... and you need to do that in order to;

...spend 3 whole days in a refugee camp, getting in the way of the real volunteers (who will speak the language of the kids maybe?) (and don't say you are going with Japanese speakers, you may well be, but if you can't speak Japanese then you are just in the way).

My point is that that additional £1500+ that you will raise in order to WASTE THE TIME of real aid workers who want to deal with the actual problem on the ground; would be much better spent on REAL AID.

Thats it, I'm done.

Steven

Giga Poster
david morton said:
Now on top of that, you need to pay another £605 flight plus "B&B" and travel. Toys for the kids are rasied, hey lets call it an even £1300 (which is ? times the amount of that previous group raising event you mentioned - and thats ? times per person!!!).... and you need to do that in order to;

...spend 3 whole days in a refugee camp, getting in the way of the real volunteers (who will speak the language of the kids maybe?) (and don't say you are going with Japanese speakers, you may well be, but if you can't speak Japanese then you are just in the way).

My point is that that additional £1300+ that you will raise in order to WASTE THE TIME of real aid workers who want to deal with the actual problem on the ground; would be much better spent on REAL AID.

Thats it, I'm done.

Thanks for being done I corrected your quote. But I strongly think we wont be in the way. But I am fundraising aside from this. Personal thoughts at the end of the day.

Also come to the event in may and ask these questions to our faces please after you have seen what we have done.

Nobody is denying that you've raised money for the cause, and everyone said it's great that you've donated. The point everyone is trying to make is that you're NOT a professional aid worker or rescue person, so you should donate the money you're using on flights etc, to go towards the kids getting PROFESSIONAL help.

Not saying it's bad that you want to do this, it just would be a more sensible thing to do.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but... I agree with Taylor. ;)

Like David said above, your heart is almost certainly in the right place, and I really really very happy/jealous that you've donated so much and are ready to give so much more. If only everyone was like you, but do you not think that you'd be better off sending all of the money you've raised. Think of the good that could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.