What's new

Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach; overrated or underappreciated?

Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach; overrated or underappreciated?

• Total voters

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
I went to Icon with extremely low expectations after reading early enthusiast reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Could it do with a few MPH* added to the launches? God yes. But it's still a very, very fun ride and without a doubt one of the best in the UK. I know it doesn't have a lot in the way of competition here and agree that on a global scale it's pants but I do think it's a really fun, slightly underrated coaster and I personally love it.

* - was it true that this was/is/would be possible or was it just a rumour?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Ride speed can only be altered by Mack...they underpower in the mornings to warm the wheels with a few intentional rollbacks, but there is no "boost" button.
The speed was limited as anything faster made the front and back seats uncomfortable over the first hills after each launch, on what was always intended as a whole family thrill ride.
I like it, as my vanilla smooth ride into retirement.
Nash and Big One I only ride once due to discomfort, but I can (and have) ridden Icon all day.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
I really like it and I was pleasantly surprised.

It certainly gives Blackpool Pleasure Beach the most varied coaster line up in the UK (and arguably Europe? maybe the world? I'm not so knowledgeable a others). They now have a hyper, multi-launch, bobsled, mobius racing, steeplechase, inverted and a couple of old style woodies. Where else can you can that variety? Icon fits in perfectly. It fills the most obvious gap in its line up.

As for Icon itself, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much out of joy on a ride. I love Nemesis as I love the intensity. Mako and Stealth left me open jawed with wow. But Icon made me laugh hysterically having a good time. Yes the launches aren't massively intense like Stealth, but I didn't think that they needed to be. I've not been on other multi launches so I can't comment, but unlike, for example Stealth, Icon didn't feel like it was about the launch itself. The launch was more a means to give airtime on the top hat before going around the twisting track, tunnels, snappy transitions, that great junior Immelmann, the interaction with its surroundings.

No its not my favourite coaster. That would be Nemesis or Mako. But today, if I needed a smile putting on my face, its the coaster that I would choose.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
I went on Icon only a few months after it had opened and I think during these few months, there were a lot of great reviews about it and a fair amount of hype. Whilst I can totally agree that this is a great fit for Blackpool and it's a fun coaster, I don't personally see it as one of my favourites at all as it lacks the speed, intensity and strong airtime that I was hoping for. There was only one good moment of airtime for me and that was at the small airtime hill that dives into the helix in the 2nd half.

Another issue I have with it was the theming. I get that Amanda Thompson stated that it was a 'style' rather than a theme but I only noticed that style dotted around certain areas and it didn't seem to quite fit in with all the other classic coaster and rides surrounding it.

Whilst it is a great addition to Blackpool and certainly placed it on the map a bit more, I wouldn't even put in my top 5 UK coasters.
One thing I can agree with Matt N on however, is that Mako is my #1 as well....such an amazing coaster!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
See, I went expecting something fairly average and was surprised as to how much I enjoyed Icon. As others have said, it's really good fun, rerideable, a decent length and the location is just fab. Personally I've always preferred a rerideable experience rather than balls to the wall intensity. So coasters like Shambhala, Taron and Icon are really high up on my top 10. Icon sits comfortably as my favorite coaster in the UK.

Comparing it to other Mack Megacoasters.. It's no Helix but it's certainly an improvement on Bluefire...

Matt N

CF Legend
See, I went expecting something fairly average and was surprised as to how much I enjoyed Icon. As others have said, it's really good fun, rerideable, a decent length and the location is just fab. Personally I've always preferred a rerideable experience rather than balls to the wall intensity. So coasters like Shambhala, Taron and Icon are really high up on my top 10. Icon sits comfortably as my favorite coaster in the UK.

Comparing it to other Mack Megacoasters.. It's no Helix but it's certainly an improvement on Bluefire...
With regard to the bolded, I myself am exactly the same. I don’t know about you, but I personally love Icon because I think it strikes a really nice balance between thrill and fun/rerideability; it’s thrilling enough that you get a kick out of it, but not so ridiculously intense that it limits the fun factor and rerideability. Personally, that balance is one of the important things that makes a truly top coaster for me as opposed to out and out intensity.

I think that’s the thing, really. If you’re into massively intense g-machines, then Icon probably won’t be for you. But if you’re like me, and you’re into fun, rerideable coasters that have a nice balance between intensity and fun, then I think Icon is right up your street.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Copy and paste everything that @Ian said.

This was the ride that Blackpool Pleasure Beach was crying out for, and I'm delighted it's finally got a decent coaster that belongs in this century.

Will

Strata Poster
I love my Mack coasters and have no problem with a launch that doesn't feel like it's trying to crush your head as the old-fashioned intamin hydraulic launches are inclined to.

Having said that, I'm afraid I'm in the camp that considers Icon something of a meandering non-event and it doesn't really gel with me. Snappy transitions and constant changes of direction just aren't my favourite elements, which is the same reason I'm not a big fan of Taron.

I always enjoy a trip to Blackpool, but I'll admit I'm not actually a big fan of any of their coasters since the Mouse got the chainsaw treatment.

StevenX

Roller Poster
Having said that, I'm afraid I'm in the camp that considers Icon something of a meandering non-event and it doesn't really gel with me. Snappy transitions and constant changes of direction just aren't my favourite elements, which is the same reason I'm not a big fan of Taron.

I'm very much in this camp also. Portions of it do feel like nothing much is going on and it's just veering around from place to place. Meandering is actually a great word for it. The launches are disappointing too - they don't need to be the most intense launches ever, but they barely register here. There are no real memorable moments, launches or otherwise. It's fun and easy to ride, and I'd do it a couple times when I'm there if there, but I can't say much more about it than that.

It's particularly disappointing having experienced Blue Fire and Helix.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
With regard to the bolded, I myself am exactly the same. I don’t know about you, but I personally love Icon because I think it strikes a really nice balance between thrill and fun/rerideability; it’s thrilling enough that you get a kick out of it, but not so ridiculously intense that it limits the fun factor and rerideability. Personally, that balance is one of the important things that makes a truly top coaster for me as opposed to out and out intensity.

I think that’s the thing, really. If you’re into massively intense g-machines, then Icon probably won’t be for you. But if you’re like me, and you’re into fun, rerideable coasters that have a nice balance between intensity and fun, then I think Icon is right up your street.

Yep, I totally agree on this one. I love to be able to go on something a number of times within the day without it giving me a headache. I also like to ride after having a cheeky beer (fabulous spot to do this by Icon's break run) and not feel like i'm going to vom. It's a win win from me!