What's new

How to LEGALLY record POVs?

Mack

Mega Poster
The display at Untamed contains an S7, an iPhone 7, a GoPro and its mount, a DS (wtf), and various other items. (I can't take a picture because "on-stage" use of a phone or camera is basically the most harshly disciplined thing you can do). The stuff we don't put in the display case is kept in maintenance for god knows why.

Kkc

Roller Poster
That's actually something I wanted to discuss for a while.

I use a chest belt GoPro bought on the official website. I never sneak my camera onto the ride and always make it obvious to the ride ops. I usually, if not always, ask the park for permission beforehand. In my mail or Facebook message, I make sure to point out several things:

- I have a secured GoPro
- If necessary, I am ready to get my recording material checked by competent upper level staff
- I am flexible and am willing to get a little before opening/after closure to film the ride if the park doesn't want me to use my GoPro onride with the public around
- Showing some positive attitude and desire to make some free advertising/word-of-mouth for the park. Show sincere appreciation for the park in general and good faith. You must be a responsible enthusiast, not a naïve one that does not care about the park's rules or public safety!

Now, this doesn't always go my way and some park told me no. But I deal with it and try my best with the off-ride footage - which is much more burdenous to record in my limited experience. Energylandia was such a case, no cameras allowed on-ride at all, but the super-quick ride ops and quality of the park still made me enjoy my day. In any event, I respect the park's decision and want to act in good faith no matter what.

I know some openly wonder why bother filming "shaky" on-ride POV that put other people in danger. I want to share my opinion on that recurring statement. I've been legally recording on-rides with my chest GoPro for about a year now, and I can tell the stability of the videos are really decent if you do it right. It might not look like the camera is attached to the train, but there are actually little uncontrolled shaky movements. I might post some of my Lech Coaster footage here to put my point to the test.

Onto the serious and sometimes sadly overlooked issue of security. Tbh, I strongly disapprove the use of loose cameras/phones/objects on any coaster. Hitting flying solid object at 100km/h (62 mph) is not just scary, but frankly life-threatening. Having said that, does a chest GoPro still classify as a "loose camera"? I have not heard of a chest GoPro belt failing and coming loose on a coaster yet, and big park chains such as SeaWorld/Busch allowed such GoPro belts on their coasters after extensive testing. Still though, I believe that while the technology hasn't failed yet (to my best knowledge), the most potent risk lies in the human failings and misuse of said technology. The chest GoPro might be designed to handle forces greater than Skyrush and I305 combined, but it is worryingly easy for an excited rider to forget to properly lock the belt or the GoPro protection case. That's especially true when operations are quick and you feel obliged to rush. While I trust the chest belt, I will honestly admit reckless use of the material can end up very badly.

Now, many wonder why some people want to film on-ride POVs while so many others, including excellent ones filmed by experienced goons or professionals are already out there. One reason is video rights. Coaster Youtubers want to use on-ride stuff to illustrate their point or commentary and using other people's footage is a hazardous path (and understandably so) given Youtube's copyright policy. Many "opponents" of amateur on-ride POVs argue that people can still film off-ride footage, and while this is true, I realized over a year how far more time-consuming this can be. You have to be crafty and patient to get all the good spots to catch all the elements of a coaster, or at least the main features of it. Sometimes some parts of the coaster aren't in sight at all, it depends from time to time. Recording off-ride can even get longer because operations are very slow while you have to mix several laps of the coaster to show the layout in its entirety. Off-rides are generally doable and I find them underrated and quite valuable indeed, but for all the reasons above, I understand why many people would just like to film on-ride.

Of course security concerns are entirely legitimate, and I frankly think people filming on-ride, especially newcomers, should be careful and consider very seriously the consequences of misused on-ride cameras. I just want to give my insight as why I do the GoPro stuff, and my short experience based on it.
Can you tell me how i can do that at alton towers please

Will

Strata Poster
Does anyone else remember Rocco Casella? Can't help thinking of him every time I see the title of this topic...

Reactions: Kkc

Dar

Hyper Poster
You go here: http://www2.altontowers.com/press-centre/filming-and-photography/ and sign the contract on there, making sure you've read and properly understood it all. Then, mindful of this about on-ride filming
  • We are happy to consider requests to film on-board our rides but require at least 12 working days to arrange this. While we will endeavour to accommodate as many requests as possible, approval of on-board filming is subject to the Resort's Health & Safety procedures.
  • On-board filming is subject to a pre-site visit with a member of the Press Office, completion of our Health & Safety forms and submission of your public liability insurance, risk assessment and camera use method statement.
contact one of the people on this page http://www2.altontowers.com/press-centre/contact-us/ at least 12 working days in advance, with evidence of your insurance, risk assessment, signed contract from the first link, and "camera use method statement" (whatever that is). EDIT: and don't forget your cheque book for the fees:
lvTaOBv.jpg

Or realise CoasterForce has high quality POVs of every coaster at Alton Towers, except Wickerman, on their youtube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/wwwCOASTERFORCEcom, saving you all that hassle and bother.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
dont think you have to pay do you
No one here can answer that question for you as it depends on exactly what you want to do any why. Contact them using the links Dar provided and find out for yourself.

Error

Strata Poster
As someone who has worked at Cedar Point several times and has gotten asked about it several times, the two main reasons why cameras (Yes, even go pros) aren't allowed on rides boils down to two main factors: safety and liability.
I have seen the countless handheld cameras, phones, and everything else get tossed from coasters, only to come crashing down a few feet from an unsuspecting patron. If anyone were to actually get hit by a camera, they could easily try to sue the park. All the park has to do is point out their no loose articles policy and pass the blame onto the rider at fault for not following rules.
This is expanded to Go Pros since they can't have people inspect every harness and mounted camera someone has when that time could be spent checking seats and getting more people through. This is often why POVs provided by the park are filmed before opening on empty trains, just in case if the mount were to break, there would be no one around to get injured.
So I think the law that is often cited is just a broad term, mostly to get people to not attempt it.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
In Everland, riders must be confirmed by ride operators that the camera is strapped on their body or train. More, T Express offers fastpass of 2 people+rider cam for $30