What's new

How old is too old for theme parks?

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
This is something that's been bugging me for a while now,I'll be 44 this year and although I still enjoy going to theme parks,one thing I've noticed is,at the parks I visit,I'm probably the oldest person there.

Ok there may be older people in the park,maybe with grandchildren etc,but actually riding coasters,it's mainly teenagers,it's extremely rare you'll see somebody more mature on a coaster.I do find myself checking out queue lines for older people,but you really don't see that many.

Do you think it's the kind of hobby that has an age limit?,maybe once you hit a certain age,it's no longer cool to do? or am I just being paranoid?

therick311

Mega Poster
Absolutely not! I say who cares if you are the oldest one there. You should do what you love and **** anyone who doesn't like it.

Several years ago my wife (then girlfriend) and I were waiting in line for Powder Keg at Silver Dollar City and there was an older couple waiting in line for the front row just a few people in front of us. I would say this couple was in their late 60s/early 70s. I will never forget the moment when the train they were on rolled back into the station. They both had big smiles on their faces and they gave us a thumbs up as they got off the train and we got on. I turned to my wife (again girlfriend at the time) and said "I hope that's us when we are that age."

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I guess you've never seen me when you were at a theme park. :wink:

Just think of the Herschends the next time that thought creeps into your brain:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKj2afOByn0[/youtube]

Or just about any member of the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain. :p

therick311

Mega Poster
My story above was from before I was a goon. Since learning about the Herschends, I have wondered if it was in fact them.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If you go alone, then yeah, I think an "older" person would stick out, but if you're confident in yourself, who gives a ****? If you go with another person or in a group, then I don't think it matters what age you are.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
My mum and dad are both 59 this year and they both have held Merlin Annual Passes for the past 8 or so years. So I guess there is no age!

nadroJ

CF Legend
I think if you have kids then no age limit but if you're going on your own it does begin to look a bit weird seeing as they're traditionally a kids/family day out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Everything is on you. Its been pointed out before but it is a hobby, an ageless hobby. If your body can take it and your mind still loves doing it, whats the point in stopping?

peep

CF Legend
There is an odd British impression that once you get to a certain age then you shouldn't go to parks "because they're for kids" which is totally wrong in my opinion. If going to parks and riding rides is what you enjoy doing then that's all that should matter. Why should there be an age limit on having fun?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
It's kind of like peep is saying, you do start to question whether at a certain age, it's time to call it a day before making yourself look silly.

I did go to Thorpe Park about 3 years ago on my own, and believe me I did feel out of place, especially in a place like that, I swear I was the oldest person there.

Seeing that video ECG posted has helped change my mind though, I'll be an adrenaline junkie grandad.