What's new

How Much do you Research a Park Before a First Visit?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I pretty much just check opening and closing times and prices (and discounts like buy online or with soda can or whatever)
I like to leave some surprise to the park itself, if its some place I haven't been.. So I don't really look at maps or study or anything... Most times even at a park, I wont use a map. I like to just "find" rides as I go and I've yet to miss one... So it must work pretty ok.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
well - I do all the usual stuff to ensure I don't do a lampoon, or not have enough money (unless they're like plohn and don't take cards..), and obviously check the coasters, but I also like to check other rides as I don't want to get back to a chorus of "omg! you didn't ride XXXX, that's the best thing ever! "

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I tend to check what kind of rides are in the park, and - and this is important - whether any notable ones are SBNO or having problems. It's too bad going to a park only to find the star attraction closed for refurbishment or down for repairs. There might be enough other fun stuff to do at the park to make the visit worthwhile, but at least I won't be getting my hopes up unnecessarily.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Depends if I'm visiting solely for the park, or if it's just going to be a part of a holiday for example.

If it's the latter, I'll usually check opening hours, ticket prices, see if there are any deals floating about or savings to be had. Check out how to get there, probably Google Street View the entrance/route so I know I'm heading the right way. List down the coasters on RCDB. Have a look at trip reports to see if there's anything I shouldn't miss.

If it's the former I'll do all of the above, plus probably get a rough plan on how to get around the park, what order to do the rides in, food options etc...

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
When researching a park, I just tend to look how far it is from the hotel and average wait times to see whether its worth getting a line skipping pass.

Crosscoaster

Roller Poster
My Main thing I check before I go is the Following:
  • Opening Times
  • Ride Lineup
  • How easy it is to get to
  • If there is any other parks nearby
  • Who will go with me :)
I'm surprised how many people look at price when booking and look for any discounts. If its within my own country, I usually look for the best deal, however if I'm going abroad I don't tend to. Ill have a quick look at the price, but I never shop around. Not quite sure why, I just never have. I suppose I think its because I am only visiting for that one thing, so I'm not really bothered about how much they rip me off (unless its a certain operator that rhymes with Berlin, They will get little or not money out of me). I do visit a lot of smaller independent parks, so in all honesty, I'd rather them get the money to invest.

Saying that I do usually get a good price on flights/ hotel... god how I love Ryanair! Having just booked two separate 3 day trips to Gothenburg and Stockholm and it costing me less than £200 for flights and hotel for the both! ... can't say I've looked at the price for Liseberg or Grona Lund yet though!

Fi

Mega Poster
In order:
  • Creds
  • How to get there (bonus points of accessible by public transport)
  • Opening times
  • Nearby parks/creds
  • Price/offers
  • I'll take a look at the map but not usually study it in detail
When I only visited one or 2 parks a year I used to plan in minute detail and know everything about it, because I needed to make the most of the day and it's suck to run out of time or discover I'd missed something. Last year I went to Liseberg not knowing exactly what was there, just that it'd been on my radar for ages and that it'd be a decent park It would still have been great if I'd researched it but I think not having specific expectations made me appreaciate it even more.

Looking at prices, if it's a big park or there's a ride I really want there then I'll go whatever the price, but I still want to know how much it's going to cost (and why pay full price if you can easily get a discount), if it's just an average park I might decide it's not good enough value to make it worth visiting.