What's new

How many languages do you speak?

Intricks

Strata Poster
Speak English quite crudely, took German for 4 years and can only really speak random words and phrases of nonsense and tomfoolery. Learned Spanish quite fluently when I was younger (Day program before kindergarden) and took some Italian as well (can only really read it, **** speaking or comprehending it).

Also learning ASL.

Refernce for my German speaking randomness:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRamkbRmomg[/youtube]

tomahawk

Strata Poster
furie said:
tomahawKSU said:
English and every seventh word of German.

So if somebody says something to you in German, do you have to get them to repeat it using the words in a different order until you've got them all and can make the sentence? ;) :p

LOL! Love it. Taking 4+ years, I really should be able to speak more, but it's been 5 years now. Occasionally I say a random phrase to be like, I still remember that, but I was never good. I could understand a lot better than I could speak.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Dutch, of course. Also pretty fluent in French (since it's our second language). Other languages include English and a very little bit of Turkish.

peep

CF Legend
English.

I can understand and speak random stuff in French. I also know various random words in Spanish and German.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
English, obviously. Took 5 years of Spanish in grade school so I know a little bit, but having not taken any classes or traveled to any Spanish-speaking countries in 6 years, I'm quite rusty.

My Spanglish is pretty solid, though.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
English.

I did German at GCSE so I have some basic understanding of that, and I know a few words in French and Spanish.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Aside from the obvious, I've got a vague recollection of my French GCSE stuff. Also, since I've got lots of free time on my hands and with the Eurolive looming, I'm making some effort to attempt some Finnish.

Nic

Strata Poster
English. I know enough French and Spanish to get by on holiday (I got an A in Spanish at GCSE but have forgotten most of it). I know a few key phrases of Japanese, which will hopefully increase over the coming months.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Even so, they can still read lips and may have a Cochlear, which allows some sound to get through based upon the setting they use.

Plus, all you really need to know are rhe alphabet and some essentials and you are somewhat good to go from there!

thx

Mega Poster
I know finnish, swedish and english and I studied german for 6 years. I understand most of what I hear (depends on accents of course) however I speak it so rarely that I've forgotten much, which is annoying. I've also done a few spanish courses and studied on my own and know a little bit, I can pretty much get by on holidays and so, but I really can't say I know the language.
Also I understand like 90-100% norwegian when I hear it and read it and like 80-100% when reading danish (not as much when hearing that's a lot harder) however I've never studied any of it. Also I think it's a bit funny that we've had to read a few articles and books in norwegian and danish in a class in uni (which wasn't about languages or history). Dutch is also moderately easy to get, because it's so similar to german (and swedish) (despite how much the dutch and flemish people hate to hear that), however the throat g-sounds do make it unnecessary hard at times.

gforce

Roller Poster
I'm a language whore.

In Order: English, Latin, Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Chinese, and Norwegian.

Nic

Strata Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
furie said:
I can muddle by badly using British Sign Language (BSL).

Isn't your wife DEAF?
PMSL! If she is, she hides it very well! haha! I bet she wishes she was half the time, having to listen to Phil prattle on ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Why are people finding it necessary to answer with "English" on an English language forum?

kimahri

CF Legend
gavin said:
Why are people finding it necessary to answer with "English" on an English language forum?

Self gratification to delude us in thinking we're not total plebious piles.of crap and only know one language. Or to remind us of that fact and wallow in self pity because of it.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I speak English and a bit of spanish, though when put on the spot, i can barely say or undertsand more than 'Hola!' Ironically i am getting A's in my GCSE exams, which just shows how badly the GCSE Spanish syllabus and the type of exams that you have to do are at actually preparing you for speaking the language.