What's new

How many different coaster types appear in your top 10?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Over in another thread, @nadroJ said this...

I also like to try and have some variety in my list as opposed to just ranking B&Ms and RMC, so that has some influence too.

Which got me thinking... How many of us have a varied top ten? Do you like a lot of variance? Maybe you like what you like and that's all good too....

My top 10 has 7 different types of coaster

1) Zadra - RMC
2) Untamed - RMC #2
3) Taron - Multi Launch
4) Hyperion - Hyper
5) Ride To Happiness - Extreme Spinner
6) F.L.Y - Flying Coaster
7) Shambhala - Hyper #2
8) Helix - Multi Launch #2
9) Lech - Traditional Steel / Multi Inversion
10) Nemesis - Inverted Coaster

So yeh, that's 7 different coaster types, which I think is a good mix... However, it's probably this way because I haven't ridden enough RMCs or Intamin Launch / Hyper Coasters!!! I have a sneaky suspicion that, when I've done America, it will be mostly RMC, Intamin and maybe a few B&M Hypers 🙈🤣

How does yours stack up?

Trax

Hyper Poster
It's hard to draw the line between coaster types. For example, Lech coaster and Abyssus are both from Vekoma and use the same trains, but one is called Bermuda-Blitz and the other one is a Launched coaster. I try to be a little bit stricter.

Hyperion - Megacoaster (also it is technically a Hyper)
Taiga - Multi-Launched Coaster
Lech Coaster - Classic Lifthill
Kondaa - Megacoaster #2
Abyssus - Multi-Launched Coaster #2
Zadra - RMC Steel Coaster
F.L.Y. - (Launched) Flying Coaster
Helix - Multi-Launched Coaster #3
Monster - Inverted Coaster
Expedition GeForce - Megacoaster #3

So apparently, I am into multi-launched rides, tall coasters and like intensity.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's hard to draw the line between coaster types. For example, Lech coaster and Abyssus are both from Vekoma and use the same trains, but one is called Bermuda-Blitz and the other one is a Launched coaster. I try to be a little bit stricter.

Hyperion - Megacoaster (also it is technically a Hyper)
Taiga - Multi-Launched Coaster
Lech Coaster - Classic Lifthill
Kondaa - Megacoaster #2
Abyssus - Multi-Launched Coaster #2
Zadra - RMC Steel Coaster
F.L.Y. - (Launched) Flying Coaster
Helix - Multi-Launched Coaster #3
Monster - Inverted Coaster
Expedition GeForce - Megacoaster #3

So apparently, I am into multi-launched rides, tall coasters and like intensity.
I was thinking along the lines of broad traditional groupings...

So lech is a classic steel coaster, with a hill and inversions...

The megas, hypers, gigas with an airtime / speed focus and traditional hill all fall under the same heading for me (although mega is probably a better term than Hyper)

I would stick Fly with Galactica for example, despite the obvious difference... They're both 'flying coasters'

I would say you have 6 different 'types' So pretty varied, despite a focus on your favourite multi launch and mega coasters. :)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I think everything is encapsulated here:

RankCoasterManufacturerTrackOther notes
1TaronIntaminSteelMulti launch
2TaigaIntaminSteelMulti launch
3UntamedRMCSteel-HybridLooping
4HelixMackSteelMulti launch
5Oz'IrisB&MSteelInvert
6BalderIntaminWoodSit down
7Lost GravityMackSteelLooping
8NemesisB&MSteelInvert
9Joris en de DraakGCIWoodSit down
10TroyGCIWoodSit down

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think everything is encapsulated here:

RankCoasterManufacturerTrackOther notes
1TaronIntaminSteelMulti launch
2TaigaIntaminSteelMulti launch
3UntamedRMCSteel-HybridLooping
4HelixMackSteelMulti launch
5Oz'IrisB&MSteelInvert
6BalderIntaminWoodSit down
7Lost GravityMackSteelLooping
8NemesisB&MSteelInvert
9Joris en de DraakGCIWoodSit down
10TroyGCIWoodSit down
Would you have said you had a preference towards wood and launch coasters? Looks like it based on your top 10, but obviously, that's a small sample size, so wondered if you'd agree?

Trax

Hyper Poster
I was thinking along the lines of broad traditional groupings...

So lech is a classic steel coaster, with a hill and inversions...

The megas, hypers, gigas with an airtime / speed focus and traditional hill all fall under the same heading for me (although mega is probably a better term than Hyper)

I would stick Fly with Galactica for example, despite the obvious difference... They're both 'flying coasters'

I would say you have 6 different 'types' So pretty varied, despite a focus on your favourite multi launch and mega coasters. :)
7 if you count Hyperion as a Hyper ;-)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
SteVe - RMC steel.
Helix - Mack Multi Launch.
Shambhala - B&M hyper.
X2 - S&S 4D
Nemesis - B&M invert
Untamed - RMC steel #2
TTD - Intamin Strata.
El Toro - Intamin wood.
Outlaw Run - RMC wood.
Behemoth - B&M hyper #2.

Clearly I like B&M's (but I've known that for years) and clearly I like RMC's with 3 from each manufacturer. 2 Intamins, 1 S&S and 1 Mack.
More specifically, B&M hypers and RMC steel conversions are my obvious faves.
But still, I make that 8 different types of coaster in my top 10.
However, I do have a weird way of assessing my top 10. I don't really rank coasters anyway, but when I do (for the purposes of the CF poll etc...), I can't be arsed to rank every single coaster on it's own merits. What I tend to do is take my favourite coaster (or two) from each type, and then pit them against each other to form a (very) approximate top 10. That, by it's very nature, will undoubtedly produce quite a varied top 10, soooo... make of that what you will.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A chart, you say? :D

I think this came up in another thread ages ago, so I have added this as one of my 'main' charts. Firstly though, the Top 20:
Ffv0ojH.png

So, first thing to say is that I don't count hybrids separately - they're either steel or wood depending on the track construction. But it's pretty clear that RMC dominate, with Intamin being a respectable second and B&M third. S&S, CCI, GG and Mack in there by luck, really.

But when this came up before, there was a good point made about the proportional comparison of these various things in your overall count when compared to your Top 20. For example, if you've ridden 90 wooden coasters, and 10 steel coasters, but your Top 10 is all steel, then it shows a pattern. An extreme example, but demonstrates the point.

So now I also have the following tables:

Firstly by material - here it's quite apparent that my Top 20 actually aligns pretty well overall with the distribution of steel vs wood coasters. I additionally classify all coasters as Extreme/Thrill/Family. Accounting for that shows an even closer alignment.
MmjOC3V.png

Now by manufacturers - here it's a bit more off. I think this is probably quite multi-faceted, so harder to draw a direct comparison, but I think it goes to show just how much different the proportions are and therefore, by a bit of extension, how much more I prefer that type of ride. Of course, doesn't directly correlate and this is a relatively arbitrary selection of the big manufacturers (note to self - adjust this to reflect the ten most ridden or something), but I think there's an overall pattern to be drawn here - for example: I am around four times more likely to have an Intamin in my Top 20 than in my overall count, but thirty times more likely with RMC. Something, something, maybe I need to rework the chart.
XKp9Noq.png

Age/opening year might be an interesting one to compute next...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
A chart, you say? :D

I think this came up in another thread ages ago, so I have added this as one of my 'main' charts. Firstly though, the Top 20:
Ffv0ojH.png

So, first thing to say is that I don't count hybrids separately - they're either steel or wood depending on the track construction. But it's pretty clear that RMC dominate, with Intamin being a respectable second and B&M third. S&S, CCI, GG and Mack in there by luck, really.

But when this came up before, there was a good point made about the proportional comparison of these various things in your overall count when compared to your Top 20. For example, if you've ridden 90 wooden coasters, and 10 steel coasters, but your Top 10 is all steel, then it shows a pattern. An extreme example, but demonstrates the point.

So now I also have the following tables:

Firstly by material - here it's quite apparent that my Top 20 actually aligns pretty well overall with the distribution of steel vs wood coasters. I additionally classify all coasters as Extreme/Thrill/Family. Accounting for that shows an even closer alignment.
MmjOC3V.png

Now by manufacturers - here it's a bit more off. I think this is probably quite multi-faceted, so harder to draw a direct comparison, but I think it goes to show just how much different the proportions are and therefore, by a bit of extension, how much more I prefer that type of ride. Of course, doesn't directly correlate and this is a relatively arbitrary selection of the big manufacturers (note to self - adjust this to reflect the ten most ridden or something), but I think there's an overall pattern to be drawn here - for example: I am around four times more likely to have an Intamin in my Top 20 than in my overall count, but thirty times more likely with RMC. Something, something, maybe I need to rework the chart.
XKp9Noq.png

Every time I see one of your posts like this it makes me want to use excel!!! That is an incredible insight…

… Then I remember I’ll have to add, and rank, hundreds of coasters and I give up on the idea…

One day I’m going to do it!!! It’s incredible the statistics you are able to pull and showcase from it!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Every time I see one of your posts like this it makes me want to use excel!!! That is an incredible insight…

… Then I remember I’ll have to add, and rank, hundreds of coasters and I give up on the idea…

One day I’m going to do it!!! It’s incredible the statistics you are able to pull and showcase from it!
I think I've told the story a long time ago - but I started getting into coasters at around the age when I realised the power Excel has for storing lists. Over the years it's not actually ended up being much effort to keep up to date, although I will admit that it does take quite some time if I decide to add a new parameter ("thrill level" being the most recent one I had to add when my coaster count was ~600). Couple of beers and a TV show and isn't so hard. ;)

Sandman

Giga Poster
1) Taron - Multi Launch
2) Helix - Multi Launch (2)
3) Shambhala - Hyper
4) Troy - Wooden
5) Balder - Prefab Wood
6) Expedition GeForce - Classic Lifthill
7) Nemesis - Invert
8) Black Mamba - Invert (2)
9) Nitro - Hyper (2)
10) El Toro - Prefab Wood (2)

Not really a solid Top 10, as I never usually think outside of my Top 3 really. Positions outside of the Top 3 also vary constantly.

Hutch

Strata Poster
1. Steel Vengeance - RMC
2. Skyrush - Hyper
3. Lightning Rod - RMC
4. Voyage - Gravity Group Woodie
5. VelociCoaster - Multi-launch
6. Ravine Flyer II - Gravity Group Woodie
7. Twisted Timbers - RMC
8. Maverick - Multi Launch
9. Storm Chaser - RMC
10. Nemesis - Inverted Coaster

4 RMCs, 2 Gravity Groups, 2 Multi-launchers, 1 hyper, 1 invert. 5 different types!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's the top 10 rundown, with a lot of Intamin/RMC styles (8 unique styles all in):

RankCoasterParkManufacturerType
1Steel VengeanceCedar PointRMCI-Box
2VoyageHoliday WorldGravity GroupWood
3VelociCoasterIslands of AdventureIntaminLaunch
4Storm ChaserKentucky KingdomRMCI-Box
5MaverickCedar PointIntaminBlitz
6X2Six Flags Magic MountainArrow4D
7Outlaw RunSilver Dollar CityRMCWood
8SkyrushHersheyparkINtaminHyper
9Fury 325CarowindsB&MGiga
10Intimidator 305Kings DominionIntaminGiga

As for overall coaster types, here's the entire aggregate, a lot of wood, launch, sit-down, and invert styles:

1643230699093.png

Oh hey! ;)

1643230748942.png

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
#1 - Olympia Looping (Sitdown Looping)
#2 - Icon (Multi Launch)
#3 - The Smiler (Sitdown Looping #2)
#4 - Saw - The Ride (Sitdown Looping #3)
#5 - Nemesis Inferno (Inverted)
#6 - Cannonball Express (Sitdown)
#7 - Oblivion (Dive)
#8 - Revolution (Shuttle)
#9 - OzIris (Inverted #2)
#10 - Wicker Man (Wooden Twister)

Summary of the above list

Sitdown Looping x3
Inverted x2
Multi Launch x1
Sitdown x1
Dive x1
Shuttle x1
Wooden (Twister) x1

By the manufacturers
Schwarzkopf x2 (100% of Schwarzkopfs I have ridden are in my top 10)
Mack x1 (12.5%)
Gerstlauer x2 (40%)
B&M x3 (50%)
Arrow x1 (33.3%)
GCI x1 (100%)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Would you have said you had a preference towards wood and launch coasters? Looks like it based on your top 10, but obviously, that's a small sample size, so wondered if you'd agree?

I almost wrote up a mini conclusion about what could be based off how my table made it look, but decided against it because it's a deeper conversation and I didn't have the time then. But I have a little bit of time now.

@Hixee has covered a lot of the points I was going to raise tbf (and also had much nicer-looking tables than me, as does @Hyde..need to up my game!). But yes, if you look at my Top 10, it looks like I have a preference to wood and to the (multi-)launch coasters.

I don't have the nice charts yet like Hixee to show this yet, but... Steel coasters make up approx. 92% of my coaster count, so you could - crudely - say you'd expect 9 of my Top 10 to be steel. But that's a little bit off arguably, because there's a lot of +1 junk I've ridden that are steel, and very few +1 junk that are wood.
But even ignoring all of the +1 junk, steel coasters make up approx. 89% of my "ranked"* coasters, so again, you could still crudely say 9 out of my Top 10 should be steel.

So, you can use that to say that I have a preference towards wood.

But there's plenty of other factors that come into play. The spread of steel coasters is much broader in terms of quality I'd say (at the least, amongst to ones I've ridden this is true). So it's not really a surprise that there's not an alignment.

As you say as well, a Top 10 is a small sample size. It could be the case that those are the only 3 woodies I rate highly, and all the others are ranked pitifully. That's not the case, for the record, but it could have been the case.

To answer the question directly of "Would I say I have a preference to wood?" (ooh-err), I guess the answer would be "Not particularly, but when wood is good, it's great".

When it comes to launches, that's much trickier. I think "launch" is a big umbrella term these days. You have single launch coasters, multi-launch (non-swing) coasters, swing launch coasters, launched shuttle coasters. You could even split single launch coasters into standing launches and rolling launches. All launch coasters, but all very different, so where should lines be divided there. I haven't really thought about it much, but that was an interesting thought that popped in my head when I saw your post..

Again to answer the question directly. I would have said confidently "I have a preference to multi-launch coasters" before riding Icon, but after riding Icon, I had no fondness over it. So it becomes hard to draw a conclusion - do I actually have a preference towards multi-launch coasters, and Icon is just a dud, or have I just happened to find 3 coasters I love which happen to be multi-launchers, and there's other factors at play?
That's becoming a bit technical and philosophical, and in honesty, I still think I have a preference towards multi-launch (and launch more generally) coasters!

*The age old 'ranking coasters' debate has been cropping up a couple of times on the forums again. So I'll (try to) briefly mention my method again. I've done a post on the forums somewhere, but can't remember where, so I'll post the link to my (now never-updated) blog where I discussed it: https://justanotherthemeparkblog.wordpress.com/2021/02/11/geeky-analysis-of-my-coaster-rankings/

Basically, I was bored during a lockdown, and ranked every 'worthwhile' coaster I had ridden. The term 'worthwhile' is loose, and basically just means anything bigger than kid-family thrill in some sense. The ranking procedure I did was to ask 'Which coaster do I really want to ride the most?', and then exclude the list of already ranked ones. Not perfect, but did the job.

I then did some stuff and came up with a formula to try and, in effect, "predict" how a coaster would rank, based off it's different core stats (height, length, max. speed, number of inversions). I've yet to test it out in practice (grrr covid), but it's something I've always been interested by. There's plenty of other factors to consider too. Manufacturer, material, 'type', intended thrill category are all very big factors, but hard to measure due to not being quantitative data. I could also include opening year, age of ride when last ridden, etc.

Will end this long rambling post (sorry), by posting something I've added to my spreadsheet file and don't really know what to do with at the moment:
Age of Coaster when First Ridden (Yrs)Age of Coaster when Last Ridden (Yrs)Years Since Last Ridden

Column 1 I take a mean average of the age of every coaster ridden when I first rode it.
So say I had ridden 2 coasters, one which was 20 years old for my first ride, the other which was 10 years old for my first ride, the average would be 15.

Column 2 I take a mean average of the age of every coaster ridden when I rode it most recently.
So again, say I had ridden the same 2 coasters. The first I rode when it was 20 years old and it was my only ride on it. The second, say, I have ridden twice, once when it was 10 years old, the other time when it was 16 years old. Then the average would be 18.

Column 3 is probably a bit more self explanatory.
Say I had ridden 2 coasters, one I last rode in 2020, the other in 2014. Then the average would 6.

I don't think that taking the averages of these is very insightful or worthwhile, but it's the easiest and laziest thing I could do when I set the data up. I should toy around with setting charts up and, more importantly, making them look pretty, one day.

Anyway, enough rambling from me!

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
1. Skyrush (Prototype Wing)
2. El Toro (Pre-Fab Woodie)
3. Steel Vengeance (Hybrid)
4. Fury 325 (Giga)
5. I305 (Giga)
6. Twisted Colossus (Hybrid)
7. X2 (4D)
8. Orion (Giga)
9. Storm Runner (Launch)
10. Storm Chaser (Hybrid)

3 Hybrids, 2 Gigas, and one 4D, Pre-Fad, Wing, and Launch.

9 Steel, 1 wood.

Skyye

Mega Poster
Going off the not-as-updated list, since I shifted stuff around (Chromebook doesn't have the new list and phone is dead sooo...)
  1. Steel Vengeance - Hybrid
  2. Maverick - MultiLaunch
  3. Time Traveler - MultiLaunch/Spinning
  4. Outlaw Run - Wood
  5. Goliath SFOG - Hyper
  6. Mystic Timbers - Wood
  7. Twisted Cyclone - Hybrid
  8. Goliath SFGAm - Wood
  9. Millennium Force - Giga
  10. MaxxForce - Air Launch
2 Hybrids, 3 Woods, 2 Multi Launch, 1 Hyper, 1 Giga, 1 Air Launch
Ill update this post when I charge my phone

Indy

Hyper Poster
While I generally loathe combining steel and wood into a single list, it was easy in this case:
  1. Helix - Mack Multi Launch Looper
  2. Zadra - RMC Hybrid
  3. Wildfire - RMC Wood
  4. Steel Vengeance - RMC Hybrid
  5. Hyperion - Intamin Mega
  6. Expedition GeForce - Intamin Mega
  7. Fury 325 - B&M Mega
  8. Lech Coaster - Vekoma Traditional Sitdown Looping
  9. VelociCoaster - Intamin Multi Launch Looper
  10. Nemesis - B&M Inverted
5 different manufacturers: Mack, RMC, Intamin, B&M, Vekoma
6 different types: Multi Launch Looper, Hybrid, Wood*, Mega, Traditional Sitdown Looping, Inverted

*Might as well be the same as a hybrid

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Lists:

1: Intimidator 305 (Intamin Megacoaster)
2: Skyrush (Intamin Megacoaster)
3: Velocicoaster (Intamin Blitz)
4: Twisted Timbers (RMC Hybrid)
5: Phoenix (PTC Wooden)
6: El Toro (Intamin Wooden)
7: Beast (In-House Wooden)
8: Kumba (B&M Sit Down)
9: Mystic Timbers (GCI Wooden)
10: Flying Aces (Intamin Megacoaster)

Plus my 11-15 group rank:

Orion (B&M Hyper)
Candymonium (B&M Hyper)
Talon (B&M Invert)
Hagrid's (Intamin Blitz)
Diamondback (B&M Hyper)

Results:

Top 10 Only:

Manufacturer: Intamin (5), PTC (1), RMC (1), B&M (1), GCI (1)
Model: Intamin Megacoaster (3), PTC Wooden (1), Intamin Blitz (1), RMC Hybrid (1), Intamin Wooden (1), In-House Wooden (1), B&M Sit Down (1), GCI Wooden (1)
Type: Steel (6), Wooden (3), Hybrid (1)

Top 15:

Manufacturer: Intamin (6), B&M (5), PTC (1), RMC (1), GCI (1)
Model: Intamin Megacoaster (3), B&M Hyper (3), Intamin Blitz (2), PTC Wooden (1), RMC Hybrid (1), Intamin Wooden (1), In-House Wooden (1), B&M Sit Down (1), GCI Wooden (1), B&M Invert (1)
Type: Steel (11), Wooden (3), Hybrid (1)

Analysis

This is the first big analysis of my rankings that I've done, so I surprised myself quite a bit here.

Top 10 Only:

First off, the things I knew going into this, of which I can identify two. First, I love Intamin. I knew from my top 3 that I love a good Intamin, but the fact that they make up half of my top 10 caught me off guard. There's no doubt that they make good rides, but 5/10 is a lot. Next, I haven't been to a lot of the parks that house top tier rides. I need to visit Cedar Point and pretty much the whole west coast, not to mention lots of parks on the east too. I haven't been on a Mack coaster that's not a wild mouse, and I've only been on one RMC. Because of this, my list is pretty scuffed, especially if you don't have the context that I'm not particularly well traveled.

Now to the things I hadn't noticed. Three wooden coasters! I like them as much as the next guy, but I didn't realize they made up 30% of my top 10. They're all from different manufacturers, which might suggest a sense of variety, but in reality it's a mix of me having only ridden the best of GCI and PTC, and Beast being funky. If you consolidate Intamin Gigas and Hypers into one model (which I do, they're the same) then the model that makes up the most of my top 10 is the Intamin Megacoaster. That makes sense as I've ridden a good few and most of them make it into my top 10 (Superman at SFA misses it by a good margin).

Top 15:

The most interesting part about this post, in my opinion, is how drastically the composition changes when you include my highest group rank, 11-15. This group is overwhelmingly composed of B&Ms, with Hagrid's as the lone Intamin. This increases the number of B&M's to 5, and has B&M Hypers tied for the most represented model at 3, up from zero in my top 10. Talon marks my highest ranked B&M invert, and is the only one represented in this list. Despite all this, Hagrid's keeps Intamin squarely at the top, bringing their total to 6, and bringing in a second Intamin Blitz. There are a good amount of models with one representative (7 in both my top 10 and top 15) which again could suggest a sense of variety or poor-traveledness.

Conclusion:

Is this what it feels like to be Matt N?