What's new

How Long Would You Wait?

Max I've waited for anything was 2:20hr for Dragon Kahn on one train this week! Queue advertised as 20mins, hence why I entered in the first place!

In general, I try to avoid anything over 1hr but will stretch to 2 hours for big rides. Nothing over 30mins for family rides though, have missed some interesting looking non-coaster rides due to this.

Just curious but wouldn't common sense tell you that the queue would not be 20 minutes? If something advertised 20 mins and I seen hoardes of people, I'd like to think I'm a smart enough enthusiast to work out that the park was wrong!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just curious but wouldn't common sense tell you that the queue would not be 20 minutes? If something advertised 20 mins and I seen hoardes of people, I'd like to think I'm a smart enough enthusiast to work out that the park was wrong!
Right?!

Even if you gave them the benefit of the doubt that they'd be running the coaster really efficiently (but it's PA, so no chance), surely after 20 minutes of barely moving you'd realise something was up...?

Ben

CF Legend
If I honestly didn't think I'd be back there for years, like if the day Slinky Dog opened was my last day in Orlando, I'd join anything. Or if I went to Cedar Point now and Steel Vengeance was like, 10 hours I would do it (lol, jk I'd buy Fast Lane but y'know)

However, I don't really think I'd ever be in that situation? The longest I've ever waited was the five and a half hours for Top Thrill Dragster to open in a light breeze, which in the end it just, didn't. I don't regret it because it's so iconic and really it should have ****ing opened but they were just dicks.

I generally just wouldn't plan a trip opening day to anything so would usually avoid it, but yh I'd wait whatever was required if it was my only chance.

Matt N

CF Legend
The longest I've ever waited for a ride overall would have to either be Gringotts at USF a month after it opened (2 hours to get into Diagon Alley and another 2 hours to get on the ride) or Wicker Man at Alton Towers the weekend it officially opened (around 3-4 hours overall, including the pre-queue). My experience on Wicker Man was probably lengthened by the fact that the ride broke down every couple of minutes and had to send round 3 empty trains each time before it would reopen. It also didn't open until around 11:30am due to teething problems. And to top it all off, we got stuck in the final tunnel before the station for 20 minutes and had to be evacuated. At least we got on it, though. And we got free Fastrack, which we used to skip a 50 minute Thirteen queue!

In hindsight, I probably wouldn't wait much over an hour for anything unless I'd never ridden it before, if it was in its opening year or if it was really good (like top 5/top 3 material. Or a really good dark or water ride.) For example, I didn't want to wait 80 minutes for Inferno when we were last at Thorpe.

Rather ironically, my current number 1 coaster (Mako at SeaWorld Orlando) is actually the shortest opening year queue I've ever waited in, despite it being the ride that I would be willing to wait longest for! The longest we waited all the 3 times we visited SeaWorld was 15 minutes! Heck, the first time we rode it, we literally waited in the station!
P.S. Sorry for the long, mildly off-topic post.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Longest I've queued for a coaster was Stealth at Thorpe, front row, opening weekend, and that was just over 2 hours.

Ended up queueing almost 3 hours for Experiment 10 at Thorpe once, which was torture.

Over the past 3-4 years, I legitimately can't remember the last time I queued more than an hour for anything? Maybe Symbolica at Efteling, but that was opening day, and I used the hour hotel ERT to wait before it opened. But can't remember when I queued an hour for an open ride.

In terms of how long I'd wait, it comes down to circumstances I s'pose. If I'm at a park, dome everything else, not going back soon and a big new ride has a ridiculous wait time, then yeah, I'd probably bite the bullet. Also comes down to throughputs as well - I'd much rather be in a quick moving 2 hour queue than a barely moving one. Regardless of what the ride is, or who you're with, I don't think I'd cope well being in a slow moving queue for several hours.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
The longest queue I've been in was for the Smiler in its opening year at 165 minutes, in October and in the rain. Wicker Man was advertised as 30 mins and ended up being almost 2 hours, due to the fact that it was stationery more than it moved. And when I was 8 I waited for around 2 and a half hours, if I recall correctly, for G-Force, which was clearly worth it...

So I'd say I seem fairly willing to queue until the end of time for anything I've not been on before (including an hour for Sub-Terra).

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
To be honest, I wasn't really paying attention to how long the queue was. I knew it was longer than my previous ride just beforehand but that queue was only roughly 30mins and new queue didn't look too much longer. As previously mentioned, one train ops, PA operations and large numbers of fast-track didn't help things.

I was prepared to wait longer than 20mins as I knew the queue boards are never exactly accurate and I also don't feeling like I've wasted time. Yes, the 2:20hr queue was a waste having just ridden the same ride but still feels nicer knowing I got something out of it rather than queuing for 1hr+ and leaving after not riding. Was my 2nd day on park of 3 and staying on site so had plenty of time to enjoy the park, had done all other major rides the day before so was just re-riding everything at this point.

(Sorry if this feels a bit waffly, not entirely sure why I stuck it out myself either!)

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
average b&m looper -20 min
insane b&m invert - 45min
a mediocre rmc - 45 min
b&m hyper - 45min
except for ragin bull
intamin blitz - 1hr
Anything in my top ten 2hrs
sv - 3hrs

Snoo

The Legend
average b&m looper -20 min
insane b&m invert - 45min
a mediocre rmc - 45 min
b&m hyper - 45min
except for ragin bull
intamin blitz - 1hr
Anything in my top ten 2hrs
sv - 3hrs

There's no such thing as a mediocre RMC. HOW DARE YOU! :p

TLARides

Hyper Poster
It honestly depends on the ride. If it's something like Mystic Timbers, Diamondback, or something I've never ridden, I'm totally willing to wait 2-4 hours for a ride I probably won't like.

But if it's something like Vortex, Adventure Express, or something rough, boring, and unexciting, I'll get out of line after about 2 hours or won't even get in line at all.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
If I honestly didn't think I'd be back there for years, like if the day Slinky Dog opened was my last day in Orlando, I'd join anything. Or if I went to Cedar Point now and Steel Vengeance was like, 10 hours I would do it (lol, jk I'd buy Fast Lane but y'know)

However, I don't really think I'd ever be in that situation?

I generally just wouldn't plan a trip opening day to anything so would usually avoid it, but yh I'd wait whatever was required if it was my only chance.
Was waiting for someone to put it eloquently.
That's the one.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
I reached my max after waiting 2.5 hours for twisted timbers this season. I wasn't even close to the station.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
I've waited 240 min in just a Lost Valley Safari in Everland... I went there in opening day, But slow operation. I've waited for T Express maximum 40 min...