How Fast Is Your Internet Connection??

What Internet Connection Do You Have?

• Stone-Age Dial Up! 56k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low-end Broadband (Usually 2-8mb)

• Medium Broadband (Usually 10mb-16mb)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • High-end Broadband (Usually around 20mb)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Ridiculous Broadband (Anything above 20mb)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • NEW STYLE OPTION FOR 2009 - MOBILE BROADBAND DONGLE

• Total voters

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Bearing in mind I'm on university-provided internet (which is sometimes notorious for being a bit ****), I think I'm doing very well. If I fork over a bit more money, they'll give me 100 mb/s.

I do miss my 18 mb/s connection back in Milton Keynes though :(

Ollie

CF Legend
^^I know it means how fast you can download and upload things but mine is LOADS higher than everyone else here so it confused me. :p

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
Not amazing but still better than most of you, of course my old computer probably would have been way slower.

1629260438.png

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Heres mine on BT Infinity, looks impressive but it really isn't. Throttled like crazy which sucks for torrents e.t.c.

1631814938.png

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
Why do i have a huge discrepancy in download and upload?

TL;DR Summary:
Martyn said:
Upload is always rubbish with consumer broadband!

;)

It's because (until the new BT infinity stuff comes in) consumer broadband is asynchronous. You have a single channel for data travel along which is shared for both up and download.

It's essentially like a narrow bridge with traffic lights controlling the flow of traffic on it. As most people want information to come to them ASAP, the traffic lights are set to allow more traffic along one side than the other. So in your case it's 10 cars per second across from download then it allows one car per second from the upload side.

It's really that you have an 11Mbps connection shared with 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up :)

Though that's still actually pathetic. We have a 10Mb connection with Virgin and I can manage 1.5Mbps up and my connection is bloody slow. I'm sure it's supposed to be 2Mbps, but maybe even 4Mbps.