What's new

How does being tired/inebriated affect your judgement of pacing?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ok so this is an interesting, but weird correlation I've made recently. I've watched many many coaster POVs, and something I've noticed recently is that if I watch a POV of a coaster in the middle of the day, then re-watch the same POV before I go to sleep and/or if I am inebriated, the coaster seems to run A LOT faster, and I can't identify any pacing issues at all.

I'm guessing this is down to the same reasons why you shouldn't drive when you're tired and can't drink and drive, as it must alter your sense of speed significantly. Here are some examples of coaster POVs that seem to look faster under these circumstances. Try watching them in the middle of the day, then after a few beers or before you sleep. I am very curious to see if you guys have the same results as me. And if anyone has any better explanations for this, I'd love to hear those too.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean, yes. That's why you're not supposed to drink and drive, or make sure you're regularly taking breaks when driving.

It does all sorts of crazy things to your perception of time, distance, how well you can focus and concentrate, how fast things 'blur' past your vision. It's no joke. :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
When it comes to watching POVs, I don't think my level of tiredness really affects what I thinking of the pacing (I've watched POVs late at night/right before bed). I don't watch POVs after drinking though (and don't plan on it), so can't speak about that.

But riding coasters after some drinks? Yeah, that'll change it up for sure.

Will

Strata Poster
I usually watch coaster videos with a few drinks in the evening and hadn't noticed anything strange - but if I've had too much, I can't deal with watching POVs.

Not sure about level of tiredness, but I often find music/video in general feels like it's playing at the wrong pace if I'm over-tired.

With regard coasters themselves - I've ridden Hollenblitz and a few of the EP rides after sinking a few and had a whoring session of Shambhala whilst off my face - in truth, they probably shouldn't have let me on, but they were some of the more enjoyable rides I've ever had!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This really is the small tip of a bigger iceberg for how humans perceive speed; there have been countless studies done on reaction time, perceiving differences in speed/velocity, or ability to respond under different stresses/influences. Radiolab has a nice round-up episode on "Speed", which covers some of these different studies/components: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/episodes/267124-speed

The specific times of day you're referring to @CrashCoaster do align, to a certain degree, with the body's natural circadian rhythm; a general dance of our body's systems that causes us to be more alert/perceptive at some points of the day than others.

iu

To throw beer, pot, or any other controlled substances in there would absolutely lead to a conclusion that your perception, especially anything related to coordinated action (which pacing is; the notion of speeds and forces over time), would be off or altered.

I'm sure we have plenty of drunken coaster accounts across the forum to validate. I for one remember a particularly terrifying ride on Millennium Force after drinking 5 summer shandies, where I would've sworn the drop was 1,000 ft. tall. 😅

CoasterMOG

Roller Poster
I'm sure we have plenty of drunken coaster accounts across the forum to validate. I for one remember a particularly terrifying ride on Millennium Force after drinking 5 summer shandies, where I would've sworn the drop was 1,000 ft. tall. 😅

Yup, exactly how I was thinking scared ****less while being drawn back in what felt like some diabolical Isaac Newton physics experiment on the 300’ sky coaster at Fun Spot Kissimmee. My girl Sara wanted to do it (clearly), and luckily they had tall boys you could buy at the sky coaster ticket booth. Not sure how many liquid courage’s I put down to finally muster the will to get strapped in but holly hell, that was probably the most scared I’ve been in my life. The alcohol may have made it easier to stupidly commit myself, but it sure made it more intense mentally and physically.

fyi, this is Sara’s favorite off-ride picture of us:

1615845525415.jpeg

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
But riding coasters after some drinks? Yeah, that'll change it up for sure.
XD that it will!

Some edibles made Goliath @ SFMM actually really fun, which was an achievement!

As for OP hmm...interesting, I'll watch now and see if I notice any difference when I'm dead tired. But probably some? Like said above how we perceive things vary wildly on a number of things. Which is why sober and fairly awake driving is responsible :) Save it for amusement rides ha

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No idea on the science of it all, but the mind could possibly be more forgiving when it’s in chill mode. Being less alert is like switching off the criticism.

A bit like playing a computer game. Do it sober and you lose, and it’s “****ing bollocks **** bloody game!” plus a smashed controller. But I find when I’m a bit pissed, it’s more of a tut, big sigh, then I’ll have another go.

Or it’s like tolerating a Hugh Grant film. I wouldn’t dream of watching one when I’ve got my wits about me, but I might actually find it mildly entertaining if I’m in a don’t really care state of mind.

A post full of waffle, with no conclusion whatsoever, but perception is all in the mind. Or something. I don’t know.