What's new

Houston, Texas | Grand Texas | Theme Park

Intricks

Strata Poster
This bit is interesting in regards to the actual theme park attractions:

The first phase of the theme park will span 71 acres and will offer one wooden rollercoaster engineered by the same company that produced the Twisted Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain in California, Galland said. The park will also feature a children’s coaster, a family coaster and two high-thrillseeker coasters. In addition, the first phase will include 20 other historic Texas-themed rides and an entertainment area with stagecoach and boat rides.

So this is where another RMC is being developed at within the states. Ontop of that alone, there are another two guarenteed high thrill coasters as well.

This just got VERY interesting.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Another Texan RMC, eh?

I wonder why they said Twisted Colossus and not something in Texas, or even a woodie for that matter. Could we see RMCs first ground-up hybrid?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Another Texan RMC, eh?

I wonder why they said Twisted Colossus and not something in Texas, or even a woodie for that matter. Could we see RMCs first ground-up hybrid?

Because saying from the makers of new Texas giant leaves a bad taste in the gp's mouth after the death...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
But still, most of the GP have no idea what a new coaster 15 hundred miles away is. Most of the GP here in Chicago had no idea about Fury 325.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Thought this was long dead, but apparently not. Still just a lot of mud though.

HERO.jpg

Source

Lofty

CF Legend
There's been a few articles about it on LinkedIn that are really interesting, about the use of land and showing the overall construction - it seems very much 'still happening'.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Oh yeah this thing.

I'm interested to see what they'll put in b/c there's no way the original plans stayed for this long.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
YUNG_CHOPPA said:
tomahawk said:
Since it will be north of the city, instead of landlocked in downtown like Astroworld was,

Astroworld wasn't in downtown...
NRG stadium (which is across the parking lot from where the park used to be) is considered a downtown stadium. You probably wouldn't consider Elitch downtown either then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Bumping for the sake of boredom.
So the theme park looks like it's gpnna open in 2020. The RV park, waterpark and play area however are happening. The water park has been delayed for the umpteenth time, but the new opening date i beleve is 2019. Also of note:
main-street_page_05.jpg
As can be seen, they planned to rebuild Greezed Lightnin' from Astroworld. They sadly could not because the costs of rebuilding it would be too high.
So to recap: Park's opening in 2020, water park and kiddie area opening in 2019, RV park already open, and Grreezed Lightnin' was planned for the park.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Honestly, they are doing this the right way to ensure it doesn't become another Hard Rock Park. Yes, it is outside the city, but it's close enough for the metro to visit and with Texas continued rapid growth, this is needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Apparently this project isn't entirely dead. The on-site waterpark named "Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures" opened in 2019, and apparently there are some events being held at the site as well.

However, it seems to be a long way from this to an actual theme park. The website ( http://grandtx.com/ ) hasn't been updated since late 2018, and doesn't even report on the opening of the waterpark in its News section. There appears to be some ambition to make a theme park at some point, but I think it's a long way off and there doesn't appear to be any concrete plans.

As the portion of the park that was under construction has finished construction, and there's no construction reported on the remaining parts, I'll remove the stick from this thread.