What's new

Hersheypark to get a new coaster in 2011/12?

The Deadman

Mega Poster
http://www.screamscape.com/html/hersheypark.htm

its Screamscape so take it with a grain of salt

2011/2012 - New Coaster - (6/2/10) I’m told that small white triangle looking survey markers can be found around the Comet Hollow area. One is even said to be placed right under a section of Great Bear’s track. Anyone have pictures?
(6/1/10) The latest rumor sent in about Hersheypark claims that they may be looked at obtaining a new B&M coaster creation in the next two years. While nothing is set in stone yet, I’m told that the rumor going around is that the station may be placed in the Comet Hollow section of the park, which is also expected to see the Tilt-A-Whirl removed after this season. More when we find out.

The Deadman said:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/hersheypark.htm

2011/2012 - New Coaster - (6/10/10) Lots of rumors are starting to swirl about the next big coaster in the works for Hersheypark… both good and bad. Starting with the bad news, one rumor claims that this could result in the end of the classic Sooper-Dooper Looper, though I really hope that one is wrong.
As always, there are tons of rumors claiming that the park’s next coaster will be a B&M at last again, despite the fact that they had been sticking with Intamin for the last few. If they do go with B&M, the ride could be either a Flyer or possibly even a Hypercoaster, but there is no telling what it may be if they go with Intamin. Certainly an Intamin Mega-Lite coaster would go over well in this area too, but it’s too early to tell.

that sucks, i actually like SooperDooperLooper

I really do hope they do not get rid of a Schwarzkopf coaster, there are just not enough of them in the work :(

Well do you think a B&M Hyper would be a good replacement (even though Looper does look fun)?

SDL doesn't exactly take up a ton of space and a B&M hyper is.. well.. big. Even Raging Bull takes up a big spot.. much bigger then SDL. I don't see where they would put it tbh.

SDL isn't very... good. But it's in an awkward location. Can't see why they'd need to remove it to put something else there. Maybe it's becoming a maintenance nightmare?

To be honest though, a hyper only really requires a long stretch of space for the out & back section. I'd imagine a ride like SDL would be removed to make space for a station area?

It's station is in an awkward area too. I can't see where a hyper would fit over in that cluster**** round there. It's right next to the lake area Bear goes over and a bridge.

I hope they pull a Blackpool though and continue to build over stuff. Cuz it's kinda like that round where Great Bear is.

Well we are only saying its a Hyper since they are the most popular B&M in the last 5 years.

Alright, being the Hershey fanboy I am, of course I have been following this closely. Here's what we have heard and what we know:

What we know:
The park definently has the space to fit a large coaster. The park has space in Comet Hollow/Founders circle that is both visible and not visible. They still have paths behind Comet and the kiddie rides from the 60's that can be used for space for the ride. Also, they own the golf course right next to the park, which would not only allow future expansion but the coaster can start in the park, cross the street into the golf course to complete a turnaround and return into the park, similar to Goliath at Over Georgia. The station is rumored be placed either at Creekside Catering (located in Comet Hollow along the little creek), where the current Comet Hollow bathrooms, Tilt-a-Whirl, and former Paddleboats were or ultimately it can be where Sooperdooper is now.

With help from enthusiasts, we have a map of the survey markings around the area.

db_2010_0621_Survey1.jpg

(Golf course is over that road and to the left)

Now, these are not ride support markings or any sort of markings that would indicate construction. They are simply survey points. They show a large footprint in the Comet Hollow section, meaning this new ride/coaster is going to be tall.

The park was having a town meeting about re-routing Park Blvd., near the golf course, which certainly raises possibility of expansion into the golf course and for a large coaster layout.

Markings were also seen by Trailblazer and Stormrunner. This also certainly adds a drop tower/new flat into the mix for that area for the 2011 season and push the coaster to 2012.

What we think:
Speculation is around a B&M hyper coaster or an Intamin hyper. I personally don't think a giga is possible, but I'm not ruling out anything. Intamin seems to be the front runner of rumors right now, considering they have gone with Intamin for their last two big coasters, Stormrunner and Fahrenheit.

Rumors:
Comet may be closed as early as this fall to have restructuring done to allow the possible new coaster to travel through it.

That's where everything is right now, I will update this as soon as I hear more.

Hershey can fit a Hyper or Giga without removing a popular attraction. they have a ton of money to work with, so anything is possible. who knows? maybe they're interested in building a new Strata coaster to de-throne Kingda Ka, but that's unlikely

My bet would be a Mega-lite, but not the same layout as the rest, maybe something a bit more original.

I was at Hershey Sunday and yesterday and saw not only the markers that were already reported but I saw new markers (pink and white) over by Tilt-a-Whirl and Comet's station as seen in the attached images. There was an orange dot marked with numbers next to it which was next to the food stand right beside Comet's entrance. I rode Sooperdooperlooper and was able to see what appeared to be stakes with orange or pink flags lining a path/road across the creek from Comet. I do not have a picture of these markers as park rules prohibit photography during the ride. The photos were taken with my cell phone as it was the only thing I had with me.

39924_1392879742099_1235337193_31067618_3687856_n.jpg

40394_1392878942079_1235337193_31067615_157550_n.jpg

Right along the fence where Comet is, to the left of Tilt a Whirl's exit.

39835_1392878542069_1235337193_31067613_4825096_n.jpg

This was ON the rocks that border/landscape Tilt a Whirl

39907_1392869581845_1235337193_31067533_6319377_n.jpg

This was next to the food stand right next to Comet's queue.

Interesting.