What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

Hutch

Strata Poster
I bring up the new cred discussion as it's a similar argument to the reconstruction of Hulk, which I count as a separate cred (and I know others do). With new track but the pretty much the exact same structure, it kind of enters a weird gray area. There doesn't seem to be any "rule" on this, and wanted to see what others thought. That being said, I'm not saying this situation would warrant a +1. It's vague but it'd be a bit overkill and cheeky to count retracks.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Yeah, I mean technically there can potentially be an argument for it if the entire coaster has had a complete retrack.
But I agree with @Sanchezmran - we all know it's the same ride, it's just been given some TLC.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I would say it more depends on what the coaster is - A steel coaster such as Hulk had EVERYTHING replaced, supports, track, train. This is unusual, as steel coasters do not generally need an entire retrack (therefor Hulk is a new cred). Colossos is a wooden coaster that is getting it's track replaced - something that is common with wooden coasters, pieces of track are replaced all the time as the timber gets worn etc. The supports are staying the same, so it's not a new cred.

Another interesting one is Python - This is far more of a grey area than Hulk, because the entire track was NOT replaced. Brake run, Station, lift and most of the drop is still the original coaster, but the rest of the coaster was replaced - New supports, new track, reprofiled too. But is the reprofiling enough to warrant a new coaster cred? It's enough of a difference on Phantom/Phantoms Revenge, because it's a completely different ride experience, but is Python?

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
In my mind it goes something like this:

1. Replace over 50% of the track, change or add elements - new cred (any of the RMC conversions)
2. Replace under 50% of the track, change or add elements - cred plus - somewhere between a new cred, and a revision (e.g. The Big One's first drop, Mighty Canadian Minebuster's airtime hills)
3. Replace over 50% the track, course stays the same - revision / re-imagining / v2.0...whatever (Python @ Efteling)
4. Replace under 50% of the track, course stays the same - a normal repair job

I didn't note changes to support structures as I wouldn't really count revisions to the structure as anything more than repairs to ensure safety and structural integrity. It doesn't alter the flow of elements, doesn't change the designer's vision for the ride, and likely isn't noticable to many except for a slightly smoother ride.

This is, of course, totally subjective, and potentially the gasoline leak that precedes the oncoming inferno.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Was Hulk fully replaced? Including the Launch and station track?
No-one has answered my same question regarding this yet either.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Was Hulk fully replaced? Including the Launch and station track?
No-one has answered my same question regarding this yet either.
RCDB says:
The Incredible Hulk closed on September 7th, 2015 as the start of a major overhaul. During this overhaul most of the track was replaced as well as the trains.

Not sure that's particularly insightful though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
RCDB says:
The Incredible Hulk closed on September 7th, 2015 as the start of a major overhaul. During this overhaul most of the track was replaced as well as the trains.

Not sure that's particularly insightful though.
Most = not all
So it's quite insightful, in the sense that a reputable source states not all the track was replaced.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Most = not all
So it's quite insightful, in the sense that a reputable source states not all the track was replaced.
I suppose it's not insightful in the sense that it doesn't tell us what was/wasn't replaced. I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate - what if they didn't replace the storage track? :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I suppose it's not insightful in the sense that it doesn't tell us what was/wasn't replaced. I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate - what if they didn't replace the storage track? :p
You don't travel on the storage track so doesn't count as part of the circuit.
Wow, what a noob ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You don't travel on the storage track so doesn't count as part of the circuit.
Wow, what a noob ;)
Not disagreeing with that, but I would say that the statement "most of the track" could mean everything by the storage track.

This is like the CF arguments of old. I love it. :D

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Not disagreeing with that, but I would say that the statement "most of the track" could mean everything by the storage track.

This is like the CF arguments of old. I love it. :D
Could be. Someone ask them.
@Lofty @Ian @nadroJ @Ben
Goons Assemble.
giphy.gif

Edit - Tagging @CanobieFan and @roomraider as one of them might actually know.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I mean they never took down the launch tunnel. Would B&M even manufacture a tyre launch section for the ride again?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean they never took down the launch tunnel. Would B&M even manufacture a tyre launch section for the ride again?
I recall this debate coming up at the time. I think the conclusion was that they probably hadn't, as replacing the track would be such a nightmare without taking the lid off the tunnel.

That said, I don't reckon B&M would say no to re-fabricating the track section - they'd probably just tell Universal to sort the lunch themselves again.

Lofty

CF Legend
With Hulk, the station and launch were left intact and were not actually removed/amended.

For me, if Python is classed as a new cred (even according to Coaster-Count), then so is this.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
With Hulk, the station and launch were left intact and were not actually removed/amended.

For me, if Python is classed as a new cred (even according to Coaster-Count), then so is this.
Python's lift hill wasn't replaced so It's not a new cred in my book.
If Hulk's launch wasn't replaced then It's not a new cred in my book.
If they don't replace the station on Colossos, then it's not a new cred in my book.

My book's pretty simple, replace the whole thing, aka remove the ride and plonk an entirely new track in the same place (clone or RMC) then it's a new cred, otherwise it's maintenance on the existing ride.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Python's lift hill wasn't replaced so It's not a new cred in my book.
If Hulk's launch wasn't replaced then It's not a new cred in my book.
If they don't replace the station on Colossos, then it's not a new cred in my book.

My book's pretty simple, replace the whole thing, aka remove the ride and plonk an entirely new track in the same place (clone or RMC) then it's a new cred, otherwise it's maintenance on the existing ride.
I'm going to regret saying this, but I'm with you here. :p