What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Another new artwork of the Wicker Giant
FB_IMG_1550175582155.jpg

Will be interesting to see how it looks in reality when finished with the effects, because the pictures leaked a while back aren't quite as imposing, threatening and towering over the ride... But then perhaps its the angle of the image of the wooden blob.
1ceff427c83691b4e29d2b125be89ca9.png

Although it does on reflection make a bit more sense. You can see the hand holding the broken fake bit of track and the face of the giant.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I still think the placement of the pathetic monster on the layout is stupid, along with the entire concept. Ugh, I loved Colossos so much but this is actually making me want to return less somehow.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I still think the placement of the pathetic monster on the layout is stupid, along with the entire concept. Ugh, I loved Colossos so much but this is actually making me want to return less somehow.
This sums up my thoughts. I think the entire monster thing is stupid and ruins the look of the ride.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
FFS, come on guys. The only thing this affects is the singular bunny hop at the end - it's hardly covering the whole layout.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah exactly, it only affects the last bunny hop yet they're marketing it as a whole new bloody attraction. At least Wicker Man winds in and around the structure multiple times and fits in more. This is just sad.

Lofty

CF Legend
To be fair, we don't know if there's going to be other effects around the rest of the track, yet? I'm 100% not saying there is, but just putting it out there.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
At least Wicker Man winds in and around the structure multiple times and fits in more. This is just sad.

Wicker Man without the theming wouldn't be a terrible roller coaster, but for sure a very weak GCI that everybody would shrug their shoulders about. It's the overall experience that turns it into a great ride.

Colossos however is a fantastic rollercoaster, with a very simple Out&Back recipe. Adding in a little bit of spice at the very end will still be an improvement because the ride experience usually tends to decline towards the end of the ride when the hills get smaller and smaller. Some fire effects definitely make for a better finale than nothing at all, and if I'm not getting the perspective wrong, it should be visible nicely from outside and the queue line.

To all people who are disappointed about this (which I totally understand btw, this is Merlin overmarketing at it's best), well how would you have approached this if it weren't for more or less strict budget limitations? What would you like to see in terms of additional theming? I could see another theming structure with fire effects inside the helix, but besides? You actually want to theme 40-50m tall airtime hills? There's only so much you can do to a layout that was created without any theming in mind.

Like, if we were talking about Balder, yeah, I would totally understand an argument like that. With it's multiple layers stacked on top of each other, that's about as easy as wooden coaster theming will get, and even though the entire surrounding area has received a major overhaul, nothing has happened to it and that doesn't appear to change in the future. But do people complain? Some do, sure, but not nearly as many, because Balder is still a great roller coaster and Liseberg is not run by Merlin Entertainment, which tends to make people more forgiving.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Wicker Man without the theming wouldn't be a terrible roller coaster, but for sure a very weak GCI that everybody would shrug their shoulders about.
I'm pretty sure Wicker Man with theming is still a very weak GCI that everybody shrugs their shoulders about?

I just think it's a poor effort. And I do understand budgeting and how the minds at MMM are starved of the funding they need to put their talents into practice, but this is just pathetic. You've just experienced Colossos, a great coaster, and on the last hill there's a tunnel now. Great. Doesn't mean it's a new attraction, it's a sodding tunnel. Not even an original one at that, Alton Towers has the same concept across the channel. I really don't like this thing Merlin do of rebranding something they've had for years and not even doing a good job of it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really don't like this thing Merlin do of rebranding something they've had for years and not even doing a good job of it.
The thing is, Merlin don't give a **** about the rebrand here.

They're using it as cover for all of the work they're having to do on the coaster resulting from their maintenance (or lack of). An extra few thousand euros to be able to claim they've done more than just repair the bloody thing would be seen as a good investment in the boardroom. Heck, I'd have done it if I was them. Their choice of theme is obvious once you have this mindset - cheapest one possible. You've already got the aesthetic worked up with your fabricators and graphic designers from Wickerman, you already know how to build a tunnel, you're basically almost there at that point.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Adding in a little bit of spice at the very end will still be an improvement because the ride experience usually tends to decline towards the end of the ride when the hills get smaller and smaller.
You sure about that? I haven't done Colossos so I don't know how the finale rides but I wouldn't say a ride experience declines just because the hills get smaller. I'd much rather have a smaller hill than a larger and more drawn out hill taken at the same speed. Boulder Dash and Phoenix have their smallest hills at the end, but they're the best parts of the rides.