What's new

Headchoppers and Hands

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nah, I keep my hands up to show what a big and brave little soldier I am.

Let's dig out a few Googled images to show how professional manufacturers test clearance.
8z7ZYl0.jpg

vprupa68phrtiocagcj7.jpg

Now let's get on to the subject of why we put our arms in the air and wave them around like we just don't care.

For me, it's showing off. "Look how much I trust this ride and how I'm fearless of anything. I'm well cool."

I'm not a scientist. The extent of my biology knowledge is if I drink 10 pints of beer, I'll be sick. So bear with me on the following point. I once read a theory that by putting your arms in the air, you stretch your internal organs and allow more air into your body, which can heighten your senses. To some extent, I believe that. When I'm pumping some Fe at the gyme, the sensation when I extend my arms in preparation to pull the weight bar towards me feels nicer, more exiting, than the sitting in a relaxed position with my arms down. This could be the anticipation of the forthcoming action, which logic also applies perfectly to riding a roller coaster. The inhalation during the action and exhalation as I revert to rest position feels great. Therefore keeping ones arms in a sustained up position on a roller coaster would, I guess, increase lung capacity and heart rate, and give a sexier ride experience. I reckon there is some science behind it. Any goons want to further research this?

One of the best head chopper moments I can think of is on Big Dipper at Blackpool. The is a moment just before it returns to the station where it goes under a path. I know it's perfectly safe but I do tend to find my fingers slowly retracting at that moment...and it's the only time they every do.

Let's face it, we are not mongs. We're not going to put our arms out/up where there is a potential risk of injury. Not necessarily for our own sake, but to prevent any closures or give tabloids ammunition about "dangerous rides". My days of silly tree grabbing etc are behind me. Must be an old fart thing but this from @Howie, I totally agree with and is my preferred riding style.
I like to relax, go all floppy and let the airtime moments (where applicable) make your arms and legs float up on their own. Now that's fun!

Finally, from last year, a CF Top 5 Video - the best Headchoppers!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Ooh nice topic here! I have to admit raising hands is one of my favourite things to do on a coaster. It's so much fun to me :D I feel a great coaster feel even more out of control and enjoyable hands up.

There's also probably the group effect. Having an entire row or even train raise their hands in excitement adds to the fun imo.

Agree with Howie too, letting the flow of a coaster dictate your gestures and throw you around feel fab indeed!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Instinct always makes me duck at headchoppers. I think that makes the ride more exciting as it's less of a passive experience.

mouse

Giga Poster
Generally I'll just hold my hands up during moments of airtime, although I will usually instinctively duck under head/handchoppers. Personally it adds to the adrenaline!

BBH

Giga Poster
I'm 6'2" and I can violate more than my fair share of clearances. I can touch the ground on Whizzer at SFGAm and I've hit my hands multiple times on American Eagle.