What's new

Have you ever been too scared to ride a coaster?

Have you ever chickened out riding a coaster?

• Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Rachel said:
There was a time when I was at Thorpe Park with my Dad and brother where I got to the top of Depth Charge and then told them that I had "Lost my confidence". I was about 8 years old and they still mock me about that to this day.
And no you've revealed that, I too will mock you. It sounds so middle class; "I'm sorry, Father. I have lost my confidence." That really tickled me.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I would never do a slingshot or a sky coaster. I might do drop towers but I really don't like the feeling of free falling. Also I probably would never do a skyscreamer. I like heights on coasters but it's not for a long period of time swinging in circles.

DeanGaryCox

Roller Poster
When i was younger i was scared of going on the Corkscrew at Alton Towers but eventually went on and loved it... Same happened again when i think i was about 10, crying my eyes out having a domestic in the middle of Forbidden Valley with my dad because i didn't want to go on Nemesis because i was too scared, i eventually gave in, and with lots of napkins from the McDonalds there stashed in my shoes under my heels, i reluctantly went on it, and well i needn't have worried as i absolutely loved it, and is probably the reason why it is still my favourite ride now, although it is undeniably an amazing ride regardless of nostalgia. The reasoning behind my dad trying to get me to go on Nemesis (without telling me at the time), was because the year after, 2005, for my 11th birthday, off we went to Florida for two weeks and literally had the busiest and best holiday ever! Still have yet to return to America though!!

EDIT 1
Back from when i was younger i had a fear of rides crashing etc... and I remember running to Sheikrah at Busch Gardens literally a couple of days after it officially opened, and the queue line was still being painted and i started panicking and rather than being on the first train of the day, I made my dad wait for people to go past us just because i didn't want to be on the first train in case it crashed, guess i didn't realise they done tests etc. back then, but i still get that sort of paranoia (which is more related to rides breaking down as I know they are really safe now, I just get claustrophobic if I'm stopped too long, or just being on Colossus at Thorpe Park) in the back of my mind today which i usually blank out now.

I actually chickened out due to being scared of a ride crashing... which was X No Way Out at Thorpe Park, as i used to hate the bits where it would stop and roll you up and down the inclined break sections, and constantly thought it wouldn't stop you and would roll back down into the previous bit of track into another train, so on quite a few occasions refused to ride on that basis! Am i glad that they turned it into X, forwards and no stopping, i actually love it!

EDIT 2
Having actually read through this topic... I've also point blank refused to ride Furius Baco a couple of times while EthC went on it and he probably regretted it - i literally could not be dealing with the headache for the rest of the day, and unless you happen to be in a particular seat on a particular train at a certain time of day lol..

Attachments

• youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time-54b187940239e.png
    youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time-54b187940239e.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 43

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Absolutely. Before getting into roller coasters, I was very good at getting convenient headaches right before riding.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The last time I flat out wimped out on a coaster was Déjà Vu at SFOG when I was 12. Since I've ridden everything, but my cousin practically had to force me on Dragster and Tatsu. Dragster I was scared of the height (though I've since gotten better) but flyers are the bane of my claustrophobic existence. I'll ride them for the cred and never touch them again.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Never had any issue from back when I was really young (Steel Phantom at 7 ftw). I absolutely refuse to go on Ferris Wheels unless they are the basket kind and not a free swinging chair.

I never used to have an issue sith them, but my sister and a fellow childhood friend decided to rock one of them back and forth which REALLY freaked me out.

Colossus

Giga Poster
According to my mother, when i was about 4, she took me to Chessington and I apparently refused to ride everything and spent the day in the children's park, I grilled her about this story as there could have been extra cred's I don't know about! :shock:

As for adulthood, yes there's a fair few things I won't do for various reasons, the main being drop towers, I tried to go on the one at Liseberg and numerous ones in the US, but when it came too it I just poo'd myself and walked away in shame dropping man cards as I went.
Same can be said for Tidal Wave, I hate it and will avoid it at all costs, don't get me wrong I love water rides, and Tidal Wave is not a bad ride, if you want to get soaked, hardly anything does it better. it is just too much for me, the shock of being suddenly drenched from head to toe and then taking ages for clothes to dry just don't do it for me.
Also things that spin I can handle only in small moderation, same as others have said, I get a headache and start feeling ill, which is a shame because I really like them and used to really enjoy them.

As for coasters not really, I have chickened out of some kiddie creds here and there, they all depend on how much of a goon I feel on the day.
Other than that no not really, I have been nervous on rides, like waiting for TTD launch, I also really hurt myself on Skysrush (anyone who has rode it will know having a pot of Vaseline in your pocket is a fatal mistake) so I was apprehensive of re-riding although in the end I did ride it a few times over the following days, even though the damage was done and the pain on my thigh was unbearable.

GamingPro941

Roller Poster
I remember chickening out on lots of rides. Not necessarily coasters, but mostly flats.

-Evolution, Great Yarmouth
-Kamikaze at my local-ish funfair (I am going on it today!)
-Dragon's Fury, Chessington
-Boosters (I refused to go on them until I was a bit older)
-XXL, Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
-Rameses Revenge, Chessington
-Scorpion, Adventure Island
-Vortex, Adventure Island
-Round Up (until I was older)
-The Big One, Blackpool

Edward M

Strata Poster
Until I was around 13, I was too scared to ride anything that was inverted or launched. Size never intimidated me and loops didn't really either. It was just inverted and launched, can't explain why though.

nealbie

CF Legend
Last year, the jelly at the back of my eye detached leaving me at very high risk of getting a retinal detachment and going blind when partaking in high force activities.

Happening only weeks before the Sweden Euro Live, when we got to Grona Lund and it was time to ride Insane, I suppose you could say that I was scared of going blind and didn't "get the cred".

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I've always gone to theme parks fairly regularly throughout my life, so the line between pre-enthusiast and enthusiast for me is a bit blurred. However, when I was younger, I was quite scared of heights so chickened out on the odd thing. I think my first visit to SFMM in '09 when I was 11 may have been a little pre-mature because I was too scared to ride the likes of Déjà Vu, X2 and Superman. Although, I did go on Goliath, but ended up crying through most of it and for some time after. Tatsu was fab though <3

I guess 2011 was the year when I had pretty much lost my fear of heights (although, I still get a bit anxious on the lift-hill of certain hypers and occasionally on Drop Towers). Since then, I have never chickened out on a coaster (unless you count missing the odd kiddie cred). I will always avoid haunted houses, scare mazes etc., as well as Disk'O's, Sky coasters and slingshots but I can deal with pretty much everything else. I'll never pass up on an intense, spinning flat as they're usually the best!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The only time I've been 'scared' of a roller coaster was whilst queuing for my first ride on Oblivion, back when I was around 11 or 12.

It was mostly the queue line videos which caused it. I really got into the story and did feel a bit scared when going on the ride. I guess it was more a 'nervous' scared feeling than a true scared feeling, but it's the closest feeling I've had to it really.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I've loved coasters for the whole of my living memory with absolutely no fear of them, except for one ride, Kumali at Flamingoland.

This was as a kid (about 10-11 years old) visiting the park for my first time. I would happily go on every other ride in the park including the drop tower and Velocity but outright refused to go on Kumali and I'm still unsure on why.