What's new

Harry Potter Expansion - Universal Orlando

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I was wondering if it would a single track that travels in both directions of will they have the need/space to make it a circuit track?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Land seems to be a premium, so I'm expecting a simple shuttle. If the rumors pan out about the Sinbad area heading out, then there's plenty of room at that end for a loop. At the other end, if they don't kill the often dormant Fear Factor Live theater, I can't see them fitting a loop, as the Amity area is even smaller than the current WWOHP without Dueling Dragons.

The two areas are separated by quite a bit of unusable real estate, so there's no way they can join them into a single separate gate experience.

Remember the idea for HD/flat panel screen-sided trains I had heard?

Howzabout these:
HD/OLED touch-screens that become transparent
(Click for video demonstration at CES.)

D1993

Hyper Poster
To be honest, I dont think there are enough rides and attractions in HP land to start charging for HP only tickets ...
it needs to grow more and have stuff added to it before that can happen, IMO

nadroJ

CF Legend
I couldn't give a **** if Sinbad and Poseidon's died, they're both mediocre attractions that I think I've done........once, in my maybe ten visits there? The theming is cool yes and apparently the restaurant in that area is very good, but pfft.

The best part of that area before Potter was the Medieval bit, which is now gone </3 I say just get on with it and do what you have to do.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Thought I'd bring this back into light as Screamscape has posted some very interesting photos of the rumoured expansion. The first is the proposed route for the train that will connect the lands:

db_2012_0213_HogwartsExpressRouteMap1.jpg

It was based on marks that were sighted by staff.

The second is the rumoured layout over the jaws expansion. Its interesting to note that there is a good size chuck of land they aren't using that could be used for future expansion.
db_2012_0305_LondonLayoutMap1.jpg

Here is the source: http://www.wesh.com/travelgetaways/30594694/detail.html

Mark

Strata Poster
Why not? Disney have a monorail bridging 2 parks? :p

Considering that Diagon Alley is essentially a street that 2nd pic was a little confusing but looking at it I think I have sussed it out, roughly...

Lofty

CF Legend
Mark said:
Why not? Disney have a monorail bridging 2 parks? :p

Considering that Diagon Alley is essentially a street that 2nd pic was a little confusing but looking at it I think I have sussed it out, roughly...
Yes, but, the Monorails aren't a Specific theme, story or franchise. So, I don't mind them. I like Harry potter, I really do, but I don't know why it annoys me that it could be taking over more of the resort. I understand that it's going to cause more people to buy a ticket for both parks (if it goes through), but, yeah, I'm just not too fond of the idea myself.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I quite like the idea personally, it would add a sense of adventure to the area. Especially riding the 'Hogwarts Express' to the ride.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ok, being a total Harry Potter geek I was looking at this and trying to work out what some of the buildings might be in terms of the shops. I don't know how accurate they are going to be in terms of the films etc

HPExpansionCF.jpg

That much is certainly obvious but I am pretty sure the Leaky Cauldron has been mentioned somewhere too. Now, the leaky cauldron is supposed to be at the opposite end of Diagon Alley to Gringotts, so I am not sure how that will work if this layout is in any way accurate...

I just dug this out and its basically a fan-made (but pretty accurate) map based on what is in the books and that has Gringotts sat along side the street in the middle rather than at the end of the road. Looking at it its not very indicative of what might go into this expansion project though. However, it does give some ideas of what shops may be utilised...
diagonalley.gif

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Not to burst your bubble, but since King's Cross station is not adjacent to Charing Cross Road, the whole thing is automatically out of sync from the books.

/Potter geek mode

Mark

Strata Poster
Well of course, There is always going to be artistic license. However, in the films it never really shows the relative distance between Diagon Alley and the train station so its not something that matters as much. My point about whether it will be like in the films is based on the fact that the street has been seen several times in the movies so I would imagine they would want to represent that well...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I think they might try and go a different direction with this one :lol: It looks a little more spread out in the Screamscape photo than in the linear book approach. To me I see them doing a much more open layout and trying to tie in King's Cross into it some how (making it a little more there own interpretation). The LeakyCauldron entrance must be where the thinner looking lines are by the lagoon and men in black ride.

Mark

Strata Poster
Again, I doubt it would bear any 'resemblance' with the books because technically, these areas are based on the movies first and formost.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
If the exit/entrance of the HogEx is to the rest of the park, then you get into Diagon around and through the Leaky, that's fine. But, if the train dumps out into the new Diagon area, then it is dissimilar to both books and movies.

That's all I'm trying to say. The connection between the two should be through muggle areas, not magic areas.

...and I'm not even a Potter nerd, I've only read them once and watched them once.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just read on Screamscape that Universal are also planning a Transformers attraction opening in the studio 44 building, which kind of puts a dampener on the whole Potter Expansion rumour?

If this is true then I hope it's a completely different Transformers to what they have at Hollywood. I'm not saying that ride isn't good, because it's actually really **** awesome but it's pretty much the same as Spiderman, and I'd like to see something different.

Lofty

CF Legend
Studio 44 has been demolished, completely, so I'm guessing it's making room for the new attraction. I think they definitely will go with a different experience to the Transformers experience, solely for the fact that they have Superman in the park right next to them, I don't think it would make viable sense, in terms of ride line-up, marketing & expenditure.

As I've said from the start, I'm REALLY not looking forward to them adding Harry Potter into the Universal Park. The way I see it, the Harry Potter Franchise has it's own area and section where it is now and it works. Also, the more it moves into the other park, the more they become one single park, again, it's all the way I think about it.

peep

CF Legend
^I think you mean Spiderman :p

I was reading about this the other day but no one seems to know anything about it. Just rumours and second guessing. It does sound like the most likely thing that it'll be is Transformers though, or maybe something new? However this attraction is apparently being 'fast tracked' so they can get it open before Potter so it's clearly something they've built before? Hence why most peeps seem to think it's Transformers as it's been a massive success at the other two resorts and it'll fit into the land space that is being cleared by the tearing down of the Studio building.

Jordan, how will this put a dampner on Potter? If anything this will help attract the older male audiences before Potter brings in more of the general family market. It's a brilliant situation for the resort and I hope it wakes Disney up and forces them to do more than just update Fantasyland.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Without sifting through this thread, has there been any confirmation on any specific rides for the new area?