What's new

Hansa Park | Kärnan | Gerstlauer Hyper Coaster

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ooh, that's heading into ejector territory.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Tower is finished
kaernan-hansa-park-turm-thematisierung-2017-620x350.jpg

Source:
http://www.parkerlebnis.de/kaernan-thematisierung-turm-achterbahn-hansa-park-2017_39808.html

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm... maybe give it another 12 months to weather a bit and then I'll see.

At the moment? Not a huge fan. Looks more like a brick shortage in Germany than a detailed piece of theming.

It's okay though, 'cos Karnan will still be fab.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Why have they gone for two different styles in the brickwork? :/ I think that's what is annoying me the most.

If I were to hazard a guess, I think it might be a consequence of the brick laying process. Bricks made within the same batch might have the same colour tone, but the colour of two different batches can vary wildly. Therefore, if you mix batches the bricks will form a pattern of sorts. Seems like the bricklayer who did the broad side didn't account for this, whereas the one on the narrow side did. It could be as simple as this: the bricklayers on one side had only one pallet of bricks to pick from at any time while working, while there could have been two (different) pallets lying by the long side at all times, since they had to work with a twice as large area there.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If I were to hazard a guess, I think it might be a consequence of the brick laying process. Bricks made within the same batch might have the same colour tone, but the colour of two different batches can vary wildly. Therefore, if you mix batches the bricks will form a pattern of sorts. Seems like the bricklayer who did the broad side didn't account for this, whereas the one on the narrow side did. It could be as simple as the bricklayers on one side had only one pallet of bricks to pick from at any time while working, while there could have been two (different) pallets lying by the long side at all times, since they had to work with a twice as large area there.
Whilst this is a problem with doing large brickwork walls, I don't think that's the case here. Simply because the colours are so wildly different. jayjay's post from the page before hints at another potential reason. Maybe they've tried to mimic the "patchwork" effect seen here.
Looks like they've gone for the "realistic but scaled up" version. Apart from the octagonal tower (staircase persumably), it's not far off, but doesn't quite work at this scale

2864000-Karnan-Tower-Helsingborg-Sweden-0.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
If I were to hazard a guess, I think it might be a consequence of the brick laying process. Bricks made within the same batch might have the same colour tone, but the colour of two different batches can vary wildly. Therefore, if you mix batches the bricks will form a pattern of sorts. Seems like the bricklayer who did the broad side didn't account for this, whereas the one on the narrow side did. It could be as simple as this: the bricklayers on one side had only one pallet of bricks to pick from at any time while working, while there could have been two (different) pallets lying by the long side at all times, since they had to work with a twice as large area there.
That is not the issue with this, they used brick veneers that are completely artificially made and are usually the exact same colour as one another. I've used them in attractions before and they don't have the same issues as bricks.

You can tell that this was artificially created to have the patchwork to it.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm guessing they've done their research - and thats how a castles may have looked when it was built in medieval times! So maybe its just that they want to be authentic!