Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay

• Dunno yet!

• Total voters

Dave

CF Legend
No, I'm in bed with a cold which I caught off my housemate.

Not sure why the title is written as if it's some sort of scrubs rap...

Karen

Hyper Poster
No jabs ta. agree with Ian totally. Aidan is possibly gonna come into the 6months to 5 years bracket that they are going to start immunising in December, I'm gonna say no thanks. I don't think as many people have had Swine flu as we think anyway. So many cases are being diagnosed over the phone!

Totally sympathis with Marc. I am sick to death of getting colds/flu at the minute! One of them put me to bed for 3 days, was ok for 2 days and then back to bed for 2 days! Mutli-vitamins seem to be keeping things at bay .........for now.

When shopping in Tescos last week, so many people were sneezing and coughing and loads of them didn't use a tissue or put their hands to their mouth! Phil was getting rather annoyed to say the least.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
East Coast(er) General said:
But I was neither sneezing nor coughing. :eek:

You've just got one of those faces :p

Emmett

Giga Poster
No, once I saw the list of side effects there was no way I was taking the jab. I'd prefer to take my chances. Plus the jab is only available to people at risk here like the elderly and pregnant women.

My nephew caught it a few weeks ago but it only lasted for a couple of days and it didn't seem too bad with him.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm getting it (all school students get the offer over here these days).

Even if the flu won't trouble me much, if I get it, there's a risk of spreading it to others, who really shouldn't have it. My grandparents, for instance. Or other persons in the risk group.

Also, why should one not take it? It's a small sting, and semi-immunity from a week later on. They say it contains mercury, but... we're talking extremely low doses here (chances are, the average herring contains more of it). Rather that than lying in bed coughing for a week. The side-effects are there, yes, but they are peanuts compared to the actual flu.

c&r

Mega Poster
I'm sorry, but I've never read two pages more filled with pseudoscience presented with total confidence.

None of you have any idea what you're talking about.

I'm not even going to justify my opinion, try reading one journal entry or even one article on a bloody news website about the vaccine. Or try understanding the basic concept of a vaccine. Either of those would be a good start.

Anecdotal evidence is the best kind of evidence guys!

Slash

Giga Poster
UC said:
Plus hospital staff take it so they aren't off work when they're probably most needed.

Uhh...or so that they don't catch it and start passing it on to sick patients before it's recognized...

...you know, people with weak or vulnerable systems...i.e. the kind that tend to die from H1N1...

Just because I didn't say it, doesn't mean I don't know it. :roll:

c&r is totally correct.

tks

Strata Poster
Slash said:
UC said:
Plus hospital staff take it so they aren't off work when they're probably most needed.

Uhh...or so that they don't catch it and start passing it on to sick patients before it's recognized...

...you know, people with weak or vulnerable systems...i.e. the kind that tend to die from H1N1...

Just because I didn't say it, doesn't mean I don't know it. :roll:

c&r is totally correct.

Don't worry. Being condescending to people is a past-time for UC.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^ Can you still catch AIDS from it if the person administrating the vaccine is wearing a condom?

Dave

CF Legend
Oh another thing I learnt from last night, none of the doctors and nurses we come across knew what was in Tamiflu and its side affects.

Ben

CF Legend
^And? So they all knew what was in Tamiflu and it's side effects? Your point being?

And...

C&R said:
I'm sorry, but I've never read two pages more filled with pseudoscience presented with total confidence.

None of you have any idea what you're talking about.

I'm not even going to justify my opinion, try reading one journal entry or even one article on a bloody news website about the vaccine. Or try understanding the basic concept of a vaccine. Either of those would be a good start.

Anecdotal evidence is the best kind of evidence guys!

This. I don't not want it because it's gonna "OMG KILL ME" (the head vaccine-woman (haha, so scientific here!) at Birmingham's Children Hospital recommended it to my family as something you should have if available), but, cause I want SWINE cause it's the most hilarious disease ever. And I want a few days off to finish Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran.

I'm pretty sure anyone in here with half a brain (and anyone who says to me "then you must not understand it" is so unoriginal) understands what a vaccine is, or does.

The only logic behind me not really wanting the shot anyway is first of all, it has been out on the market for less than a year.. I'm not having something injected into me that has been out for that short of a time span. Besides, if you get the "SWINE" and don't die from it, it obviously makes your immunity stronger.. Not that I want it or anything, but I'd rather my body naturally fight it off if I happen to get it. Also a few of the batches over here were defective and had some weird side effects so, no thanks.

Talking to my doctor about it today and he recommended I get it, along with my sister and mom but I refused, though I think they're going to get it.

Slash

Giga Poster
Well, in my opinion the more important reason is so they won't be off work. That way even people immune to the virus or who have already have it but have other problems can get healthcare. Although it is important that they keep the virus away from people who could potentially die from it.

And to be honest with the little amount of fatalities I don't think there is much risk to many people. We would have had many more fatalities by now if it was.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Besides, if you get the "SWINE" and don't die from it, it obviously makes your immunity stronger..

Common misunderstanding in this sentence. I'm not only picking on LFTL, just using her quote to explain something. I think you all may have seen Independence Day, in which there is a nice little anecdote to use for explaining vaccines:

Imagine the vaccine being the ship that crashed in Roswell in 1947. The scientists pick up the wreckage, analyze the alien ship and get a basic understanding on how it works. They aren't sure if the aliens will keep using those ships when they once come to Earth again, but they can assume that their technology still will be based on the one on the crashed ship.

Same goes for the flu shot. Your body recieves a dose of half-dead virus. Your immune system still see them as a threat (it's virus after all), and bombards it with whatever antivirus stuff they have got. In case of a normal illness, the virus would have been free to rampage while your body searched for the effective antidote, but now, it's half dead and can't harm a flea. Eventually, your body finds the correct antidote, obliterates the virus, and scribbles on its metaphorical notebook: "In case of this virus, use that antidote"

Back to Independence day, the aliens attack. We'll skip the part about destroying major cities, and jump straight to the part where the humans pick up the alien ship and use it to deliver a nuclear bomb to the mothership. The tools are there, and the aliens are defeated. If it hadn't been for that ship, the aliens could run rampant until the humans managed to shoot down a ship and use the same strategy, and by that time it could have been too late.

Again, same goes for the viruses. If you get the flu, your body has to try all sorts of antidotes before they find the correct one, but it you have the vaccine, it can simply open the metaphorical notebook and send the correct antidote without further ado. The outcome is the same either way, your body investigates the virus and eventually defeats it. But with the vaccine, it gets time to find the correct antidote before it gets to a stage of emergency. Without it, it has to do it while coping with the effects of the viruses, and the virus can wreak a lot more havoc before it is defeated.

Again, vaccine for me, please.

Slash

Giga Poster
Yes but Erl, vaccines are expensive and I imagine your not at an immediate threat of dying from Swine Flu. That's why I think only those who truly need it (medical staff, people with severe health problems etc...) should get the vaccine.

All its going to do for you is make your ability to fight it better when you'd survive it anyway. Which is in my opinion a waste of money for your government.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Ahh... forgot to mention that. The Norwegian government somehow bought 9 million vaccine doses... to immunify a population of less than 4.8 million. The money is wasted already, and we're just trying to make the best out of it.