What's new

Gwazi Closing in 2015

Lofty

CF Legend
Joey said:
I'm skeptical about attendance dropping as a direct result of SeaWorld's issues because I don't think many people are smart enough to realise Busch is owned by SeaWorld. I think it's more likely money is being hacked from the other parks to reduce impact on SeaWoWld's losses?
Busch Gardens Tampa is directly marketed through Seaworld and the correlation between both parks is rather obvious. All of the group tickets from SeaWorld mention Busch Gardens in them.

The park was doing incredibly well until about 4/5 years ago and then started to dwindle, recently however, it has truly suffered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend
Maybe the reports of broken down rides all the time does not help.

Also they have more competition now in the Orlando area and maybe people chose Lego land instead.

We went Busch 5 years ago and the place had gone down hill. It was dirty and tbh just boring so much do we are only going back due to the new coaster or we would not bother. It's s long drive for rides that have got rough and break down.

The parks have gone down hill since that take over. Ride operations at Sea World and Busch were stupid.

However what we were told was that Busch does not reply on people visiting Orlando, they make their money in the summer with people going to Tampa and areas around there. Their Halloween event also pulls in huge crowds and from what I understand the last two years the reviews have been poor.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Lofty said:
Joey said:
I'm skeptical about attendance dropping as a direct result of SeaWorld's issues because I don't think many people are smart enough to realise Busch is owned by SeaWorld. I think it's more likely money is being hacked from the other parks to reduce impact on SeaWoWld's losses?
Busch Gardens Tampa is directly marketed through Seaworld and the correlation between both parks is rather obvious. All of the group tickets from SeaWorld mention Busch Gardens in them.

The park was doing incredibly well until about 4/5 years ago and then started to dwindle, recently however, it has truly suffered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like you are getting a lot of your information from a disgruntled employee who was laid off. Since you already dropped his name on here I should warn you, most companies have non disclosures in their severance package. Sounds like he violated his and you are broadcasting it on the internet with his name and title.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ How laughable - I'm getting zero information from him actually, we don't talk.

If you googled his name, I'd think you wouldn't have even bothered with your post. I don't know him on a friendly level, I just know the work he's done and how much of a key employee of the park he was. So I suggest before you make comments of a derogatory nature towards me in the future - you ask a passing question about my post rather than respond with a completely **** stupid post.

I know how entertainment companies run and everything you can imagine about NDA's, also the fact that with the termination of any contract, the NDA's are meant to be reassessed as they no longer have working communication with said employee.

Thanks and goodbye.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I will miss Gwazi, it was probably the first wooden coaster I ever have a memory of riding. That and it's a bit of a family favourite on our Orlando trips, we've got lots of stupid stories involving Gwazi so it's sad that it's going.

I'd like to see an RMC conversion over complete demolition obviously but I'm a bit gutted it's going to be truly honest.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Lofty said:
^ How laughable - I'm getting zero information from him actually, we don't talk.

If you googled his name, I'd think you wouldn't have even bothered with your post. I don't know him on a friendly level, I just know the work he's done and how much of a key employee of the park he was. So I suggest before you make comments of a derogatory nature towards me in the future - you ask a passing question about my post rather than respond with a completely **** stupid post.

I know how entertainment companies run and everything you can imagine about NDA's, also the fact that with the termination of any contract, the NDA's are meant to be reassessed as they no longer have working communication with said employee.

Thanks and goodbye.

Bit of an overreaction don't you think? I re-read what I wrote and didn't find anything derogatory. Merely pointing out you can screw this guy out of his severance by linking him to your posts. The non disclosure was specific to the severance package. Had nothing to do wih his 20 years and everything to do with the day he was let go.

A lot of good people from all over lost their jobs, they don't need overreacting babies like you implicating them on message boards like these.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm confused.

How does Lofthouse knowing a fact about someone in the same industry as him mean he's friends with him or implicating him in anything?

What's he disclosed that wouldn't be public knowledge?! Being an enthusiast means you get to know of these people, it doesn't mean you're personally linked. We'd all know if Amanda Thompson left the Pleasure Beach, we wouldn't be breaching anything.

Just think through what you're saying before making statements like this.

davidm

Strata Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
I re-read what I wrote and didn't find anything derogatory. Merely pointing out you can screw this guy out of his severance by linking him to your posts.
No, you explicitly said that you thought that Lofty's info was coming directly from this guy;
rtotheizzo17 said:
It sounds like you are getting a lot of your information from a disgruntled employee who was laid off.
Thats rather different to just 'linking him' to some random posts of the internet.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Here comes the coasterforce army to rabidly attack anyone who might slightly disagree with anything that is said against one of their buddies.

You guys all act like you have sticks up your ass... or maybe you need to find a stick to sit on to calm you guys down.

^^Ben, it is not a known fact that Busch Gardens have "truly suffered", be it financially or attendance related. The only numbers SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment posts are at a company level. If attendance is down say 4.5% as a company that does not = Busch Gardens Tampa (the park this topic is about) is truly suffering in the last 4 or 5 years.

^Lofty is not just an enthusiast he works in the industry. I am reading the post as you would a normal conversation or debate. He name dropped a high level member who got laid off then either made assumption based on limit knowledge of financial statements, or inside knowledge. He usually comes across as an intelligent guy.

It is truly amazing that this site has any followers. The way people are attacked by a bunch of spoiled old money brats is beyond asinine.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ I'm not saying I like CF a huge amount, but they're right on this one.

Lofthouse didn't say he ever knew the guy personally, he was just stating a fact. The only reason some of the other members here picked in up your post is because you're refusing to admit you were rude!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This is rather annoying if true since I'll be there in February. I know it's mostly seen as a pile of crap, but it's still Credspite; I was hoping to at least get the one operational side.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
gavin said:
This is rather annoying if true since I'll be there in February. I know it's mostly seen as a pile of crap, but it's still Credspite; I was hoping to at least get the one operational side.
Gwazi is set to close in February so you may get lucky and still get the cred.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ It'll be closing on the 1st of February and I doubt gavin will be there on that exact date. ;)

As for the ride, there will be nothing to miss about it. One of the poorest creations to ever come from GCI (I can't comment on many others, but if they are at least half as good as their hype is, they are probably better than Gwazi), uncomfortably rattly and just throughly unenjoyable. The only good aspect of the ride was the fact that it was once a dueling coaster with some near misses, but since the Tiger side has been SBNO for the past 2 years, I can't imagine any positives to defend its operational status.
It has, however, some sort of a sentimental value for me, since it was the very first woodie I've ever ridden. And that's the only thing that saddens me with this announcement.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
rtotheizzo17 said:
Here comes the coasterforce army to rabidly attack anyone who might slightly disagree with anything that is said against one of their buddies.

You guys all act like you have sticks up your ass... or maybe you need to find a stick to sit on to calm you guys down.
rtotheizzo17 said:
It is truly amazing that this site has any followers. The way people are attacked by a bunch of spoiled old money brats is beyond asinine.
You didn't slightly disagree, but rather attacked Lofty (although not rapidly) with an assumption and those that responded, other than Lofty, did not attack you but pointed out the error of the conclusion you jumped to. The comments above are unwarranted and uncalled for. Frankly I'm surprised that this kind of comment is coming from someone that has been active on the site for as long as you have. You've seen instances when certain members have had a go at someone for attacking a friend and that clearly isn't the case here.

rtotheizzo17 said:
^^Ben, it is not a known fact that Busch Gardens have "truly suffered", be it financially or attendance related. The only numbers SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment posts are at a company level. If attendance is down say 4.5% as a company that does not = Busch Gardens Tampa (the park this topic is about) is truly suffering in the last 4 or 5 years.
It might not be a known fact that BGT has "truly suffered", but it is clear that they have suffered to an extent. It's easy to look up individual park figures and although the 2014 stats haven't been posted yet, BGT's 2013 attendance dropped by some 300,000 visitors (as did SeaWorld Orlando's).

rtotheizzo17 said:
^Lofty is not just an enthusiast he works in the industry. I am reading the post as you would a normal conversation or debate. He name dropped a high level member who got laid off then either made assumption based on limit knowledge of financial statements, or inside knowledge. He usually comes across as an intelligent guy.
It's also safe to assume that the reported increased drop in attendance at SeaWorld parks since the release of Blackfish has had an effect on the company's bottom line that resulted in cutbacks including longtime employees being let go, which is what I (and most others) read into Lofty's post. He is an intelligent guy that works in the industry, which means he's probably in a better position to have the opinion (or assumption as you wish to call it) he posted without it necessarily being inside knowledge - an assumption only you seemed to have made.

rtotheizzo17 said:
Bit of an overreaction don't you think? I re-read what I wrote and didn't find anything derogatory. Merely pointing out you can screw this guy out of his severance by linking him to your posts. The non disclosure was specific to the severance package. Had nothing to do wih his 20 years and everything to do with the day he was let go.

A lot of good people from all over lost their jobs, they don't need overreacting babies like you implicating them on message boards like these.
I don't know where you get this from, but Lofty's post and "name dropping" isn't going to screw anyone out of getting their severance. He hasn't implicated anyone and with all your name-calling it's pretty clear who is being an "overreacting baby".

Please don't get me wrong as I am clearly not part of any "CoasterForce army" that "attacks anyone who disagrees with their buddies". You are free to post your opinions here just like anyone else, but in this case you have gone about it the wrong way and I can only applaud the lack of any personal attacks that Lofty's or Ben's "buddies" have made toward you.

njn63

Mega Poster
The-Rock-Clapping-Reaction-Gif.gif

I read it exactly the same as ECG and I don't have any ties to anyone here.

Alex23

Roller Poster
According to HTF on OU it will remain standing but not operating for a while as demolition costs are expensive. Due to the previously mentioned budget cuts the 2016 coaster won't be materialising but an Egyptian themed family attraction will. He provided no details what the ride/attraction will be.

Snoo

The Legend
owenrita121 said:
gavin said:
Gwazi is set to close in February so you may get lucky and still get the cred.

Prepare your body gavin. :D

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
Just to clarify - the Tiger side closed in 2012 and the Lion side is the one that's closing come February.
As for the ride's permanent closure, I do understand why it's happening even though I wish it could be avoided. I always liked riding in the front car, but hated riding in the back as it was simply too rough (although nowhere near as bad as Son of Beast). I also don't think it will be getting RMC's Iron Horse conversion, but would love to see it get their topper track overhaul with both sides running again. I don't think that will be happening although it's much more likely to come in at that $10 million price tag (that tomahawk mentioned) than an Iron Horse conversion would cost (probably triple that for a coaster this size).

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Gwazi was one of those rides which I really, badly wanted to love, but after riding it back in 2012, I was left ultimately disappointed, and here's why. It was my first, (and so far, only!) woodie, and one of the benefits of theme-parking with my family is that I truly get the GP's grasp of rides - which at the end of the day, more broadly represents the market than my, manufacturer-biased views, and is thus massively more useful. As a UK family who haven't ridden a woodie before (I will do Oakwood and Blackpool at some point!), Gwazi was exactly why woodies have so mixed reputations. Simply put, they hated it. I think I elbowed my sister in the face at some point.

I rode it with the hope of exactly what I hear about (good) woodies on this site....
Well, it was rough as hell, took about 6 mins to dispatch with one train, had a dull and unispiring layout and even when it was dueling, the timing was completely off, and there were near to no interactions to enhance the experience. It had a little promise....good lateral Gs, and in some places, the roughness was muted, bearable and enjoyable.

But apart from that....I'm in the tear it down (mostly) and install an RMC camp.

Just remember - On TPR (not that I have an account over there), people are dubious about the ride spending so long SBNO. However, was RMC not fully booked until 2018 or something? ;) ;)

An RMC at BGT would provide:
-The next gen woodie, for Florida and internationally, which would be massively appealing.
-A cost-effective new ride
-A way to renovate the front of the park near Gwazi (honestly, that area was DEAD when I went)
-New interactions, which other Floridian parks (coughcoughcough IOA) cannot counter
-Give balance to the attraction line-up

and overall, a bloody good ride which will stand the test of time. Frankly, especially considering the recent massive gamble of Falcon's Fury, they'd be silly not to install one.

OK, that was a bit of a rant....

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Oh great here we go again with the whole RMC can only do X amount of projects per year deal again. If anybody actually thinks that the company can only handle two projects at once, you look like an absolute dumbass. RMC just opened a new addition to their facility so now they can handle even more projects. Y'all can stuff it with your "only two rides per year" ****."

10730962_766193106751145_5631051224916061784_n.jpg

Source: Rocky Mountain Construction Facebook