• Sheikra

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Abstain

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

fishman100

Mega Poster
The title says it all :)

As i was randomly browsing through Youtube POVs and Wikipedia pages, i finally decided it was time. They look the same, they have similar speeds...

But which is better? You decide ;)

I've also included the "abstain" option if you 1) don't care or 2) you think both are equally good.

When voting, you may wish to include thoughts on line time, smoothness, comfortability, etc.

Ben

CF Legend
Sheikra.

I'm not really sure why, I just like it more. I prefer it visually in terms of colour and theme, although not setting in park, and in terms of ride experience I just feel it's more varied and fun, whilst Griffon is repetitive.

Sheikra also has the plus of being one of only two good rides at the park (along with Montu), whereas Griffon has one of the best parks in the World to compete with, so I'd rather dedicate more time to re-riding Sheikra at BGA than Griffon at BGE <3

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Sheikra is the better ride because it's slightly more forceful and interesting. Griffon is a bit too smooth and lacks the weird air-time you get on Sheikra's inversions. But Griffon is presented much better... And really that's the big deal with such a spectacular looking ride. The area was just designed better for Griffon, with better non-rider interaction. Sheikra's first drop area is absolutely dreadful. Obscured and no spectacle made out of it.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I feel like this has already been a topic on here several times..

Anyway I've only ridden Griffon and I could see how Sheikra could potentially be better, but I vote Griffon. Wider trains, an extra immelman, great interaction with its area of the park, and a couple random airtime pops. It's a very fun ride.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I haven't been on both but it seems to me like it'd be a close call? SheiKra is a fantastic rollercoaster, it really does pack a punch down both of the vertical drops and the Immelman is insane. However, looking at Griffon I much prefer the theme and location over SheiKra.

Overall I think I'd choose SheiKra because I'd prefer another drop to another loop, but we will have to wait until I have been on both for a proper comparison.

fishman100

Mega Poster
It's interesting how people debate the 2, as they're pretty similar.

I suppose an extra drop would be nice...where is it? I don't remember seeing it in relation to griffon...

I wasn't overly impressed with Griffon, and I don't think any minimal changes in layout could make it any better or worse to be honest. I think they'd be equally as good, because Griffon has the added bonus of scenery and atmosphere, whereas I think SheiKra has the edge for layout.

Oblivion is clearly better than both, though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^True, but it is one hell of a drop. The actual drop is easily 5-10 times better than SheiKra's. I still think I put SheiKra higher, only just, because of the rest of the layout, but Oblivion's drop wins hands-down.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
madhjsp said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:

How so? One drop into a hole beats two coasters with actual layouts?

Has Loefet got a graph of the forces on either Sheikra or Griffon? It would be interesting to see the actual physical differences.

Overall, Griffon still wins out simply because "it does more", but the drop on Oblivion is the best out of the two, and the breathless feeling as you sit on the Oblivion brake run is second to none. It's a bit like comparing a latte to an espresso. The latte contains the espresso shot, but is a much longer, mellower and satisfying coffee experience. However, for a short jolt of COFFEE!!!! the espresso wins out.

Ben

CF Legend
madhjsp said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Yeah, it kinda does.

I'm not SURE I prefer Oblivion to Sheikra, but, I prefer it to Griffon.

fishman100

Mega Poster
furie said:
madhjsp said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Has Loefet got a graph of the forces on either Sheikra or Griffon? It would be interesting to see the actual physical differences.

Overall, Griffon still wins out simply because "it does more", but the drop on Oblivion is the best out of the two, and the breathless feeling as you sit on the Oblivion brake run is second to none. It's a bit like comparing a latte to an espresso. The latte contains the espresso shot, but is a much longer, mellower and satisfying coffee experience. However, for a short jolt of COFFEE!!!! the espresso wins out.

Seriously? Even though it's pretty much the same drop as Griffon/Sheikra but slightly shorter (the ride, too)?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
furie said:

I can buy that. I can't disagree that Oblivion probably has the best drop, and I do acknowledge that for this type of coaster, the drop is the dominant element. That said, I'd put more value on a longer and more varied ride experience, which is why Griffon is superior to the other two in my mind.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said it best to be honest - you simply can't compare them. Yes, they're all dive machines but Oblivion is a different beast. It sets out to do one thing and does it brilliantly.

It's something that is really difficult to explain. Once you've done two of them, it makes sense :lol:

D1993

Hyper Poster
ive been on neither of them unfortunately but i would assumed griffon simply because it does more. It has everything that sheikra has, with another immelman and those little airtime bump hills.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
madhjsp said:
Anyway I've only ridden Griffon and I could see how Sheikra could potentially be better, but I vote Griffon. Wider trains, an extra immelman, great interaction with its area of the park, and a couple random airtime pops. It's a very fun ride.
^ Something like this, however I'd abstain cause I haven't ridden both to compare the two. Ditto with everything else though.

fishman100

Mega Poster
The only airtime pop I saw/felt on Griffon was at the end after the splashdown...where else was there airtime?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^ I always get a little bit just before the splashdown too. Taken together, they're nothing major, but they are one of the ride's nice features.

michaellll

Mega Poster
I personally don't like Sheikra at all. After the Immelman I personally find the ride to be pointless. Sure there's another drop, but it pales in comparison to the first and I'm 9 times out of 10 hit with random drops of water in the cave. It has a good first drop, but I value rides that have a complete package. Griffon is a bit better in my opinion because of the immelman after the second drop. Gives me something to look foward to you know?

I'd also like to note on the side that I'd rather ride kumba all day before Sheikra. I'm a sucker for 0g rolls.