What's new

"Green Lantern" B&M Stand Up for SFGAdv

GASM was ****ing awful! The sooner it goes the better! I'm glad I got to ride it before it took the wrecking ball, because they're a rare sort, but that's almost like saying I'd like to have Ebola just because it's rare, so that doesn't change the fact that it was probably the worst coaster at the park and Chang will probably be 203095968x better.

SFGA posted this on their Facebook:

•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great
Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re
celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive
ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!

So July 18th. Get it.

What counts a guest invited to the event? And is GASM really worth ERT? No offense, I'm going to ride it plenty seeing as it's the last chance I'll get when I'm there next week, but it's not exactly that great of a ride. :?

^You've got a point, but I still think it's a good idea. It's a bit like when Alton did their special event for corky's closing. No one was that bothered about riding it on a normal visit to the park (it never really had much of a queue) but it was still nice to acknowledge it's place as an important part of the park's history.

According to Screamscape, the name Chang will be retired. According to rumours, Chang will possibly be themed to the Green Lantern, based on the DC Comics character of the same name and with the new movie coming out next year it would be a good way of advertising it.

Screamscape said:
Chang / Green Lantern - Semi-Confirmed - (7/11/10) Many have wondered if Chang is coming to Six Flags Great Adventure… just what might Six Flags theme it to? With a new board of directors calling the shots, clearly anything is possible at this point. The one thing that is certain however is that the name “Chang” will be retired.
Right now a very likely possibility apparently under consideration is to theme the coaster to Green Lantern. The park does have coasters themed to Batman, Superman and Bizarro, so another DC Comics character would indeed fit right in. In addition the area around Great American Scream Machine used to be themed as Edwards Air Force Base before becoming “Boardwalk” but it could easily be turned back into an Air Force Base with little effort. This would fits right in with the back story of Green Lantern’s origin as Hal Jordan, a Test Pilot. Of course the biggest momentum pushing all of this is that a Green Lantern feature film is on the way for Summer 2011 staring Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern. Of course, with Six Flags currently in a budget cutting mood, I’m not sure they’d free up the money to do all this just yet, but so far they don’t have a bunch of other big projects going on yet to eat up the 2011 capital.

*sigh*

Now well. I guess it's good business. And Chang will look good in GAdv. Perhaps a little similar to Medusa, but one can say that GASM was too. I think it will be a nice addition.

And yes, I refuse to use the brand-abused names as long as people understand which coasters I'm talking about.

the ride would look really ugly if it is green and black.They would have to use green and black like what other colors would they use

Pokemaniac said:
*sigh*

Now well. I guess it's good business. And Chang will look good in GAdv. Perhaps a little similar to Medusa, but one can say that GASM was too. I think it will be a nice addition.

And yes, I refuse to use the brand-abused names as long as people understand which coasters I'm talking about.

It's funny, because I refused to call Superman by Bizarro, and I somehow keep calling it that, but I am able to refer to Medusa by Medusa still. I don't want to drag this too far off topic, though. >.>

Also, I'm not really sure how similar how GASM or Chang looked to Medusa. Maybe Chang a little bit because it's another B&M with B&M inversions but GASM was totally different.

Gazza said:
Green and black looks ok doesn't it?
http://www.rcdb.com/m/470.htm?p=436

I never liked black supports on a roller coaster, or any ride really. Maybe if they were white or silver or some other color.

It will just be like the east coast Riddler if its green and black... and Scream is in MM with Riddler, so I guess they can stick Chang and Medusa together too.

I was at the ERT event last night. Six Flags was really nice and catered the event, had stiltwalkers with shiny american flag themed outfits, and had a band (pop punk cover band that was pretty awful, but oh well). They also had a silent auction of some construction photos and first press photos.

I did catch something when I was eavesdropping after the last ride. I heard some ACErs joking with one of the managers. They said "What's the new ride going to be called? Revenge of Chang?" and she laughed and then replied "What about P.F. Chang?" There was a lot of wink, wink, nod, nod going on there. While she didn't confirm completely that Chang was coming, it was pretty obvious that was what she was trying to say without explicitly saying it. She did confirm that an announcement would be made in August. She also wouldn't confirm what would happen to GASM.

I don't know why GAdv would get a stand-up. They already had Shockwave back in the day and that coaster has been in storage at Darien Lake since 2006. I don't know if it is actually still in storage or what. Did Six Flags also sell that coaster when they sold Darien Lake? I mean I guess they only had Shockwave for 2 years so it makes sense maybe.

construction/demilishion

gallery_505_375395.jpg

so quickly

its kinda funny because it says closed temporarily

Re: construction/demilishion

jjjjustin12 said:
gallery_505_375395.jpg

so quickly

its kinda funny because it says closed temporarily

There are demolition pictures up on Facebook, it made me sad. :(

Re: construction/demilishion

Pieman said:
There are demolition pictures up on Facebook, it made me sad. :(
38535_424892723512_69421318512_4622408_3892394_n.jpg

So much for relocating GASM.
38535_424892728512_69421318512_4622409_2534572_n.jpg

CRUNCH!
38535_424892738512_69421318512_4622410_4143790_n.jpg

Great American Scrap Metal!
38535_424892743512_69421318512_4622411_1522272_n.jpg

That's intense.

I'm glad I got the credit before the demolished it, though. Was nothing spectacular, but it was still intense and well.. Relatively decent (that might be pushing it, haha).

I rode GASM on my recent visit, only as it was closing down soon.
I felt i had wasted my time to get knocked around.
It was easily my least enjoyable ride of the day.
I don't like coasters being demolished (SOB would be an exception) but Chang will make one of the best coaster parks on the planet even better.

Oh yeah! Thanks Jerry! I wanted to be in that coaster chomping machine though "take that GASM, see how it feels yourself now do you???!!!" ;)