What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

Lord Kotowa said:
Least Dream Theater are more well known and play better music than half of those bands you've listed.

Dream Theatre>Radiohead?

Ha.

Lord Kotowa said:
Your such a scene kid, only going by whats 'popular'

I don't listen to scene music at all anymore. I don't dress to that style whatsoever and I've been called an indie kid more then a scene kid anyway.

Lord Kotowa said:
why should you drop bands because they are not popular?

I dropped bands because I actually expanded my music taste outside of that **** I was listening to and actually changed it because it blew.

Lord Kotowa said:
Letmee guess they all play on the Music TV Channel you always watch ;)
(Bands are listen to don't have music videos on the TV, as they are too extreme)

Didn't know The National, Iron & Wine, Thursday, Modest Mouse, or The Format ever played on MTV. Popularity has nothing to do with my music taste what so ever.

nadroj123 said:
Almost said:
They ought to be. They influenced so many bands and still have found ways to be relevant 10 years later. Cockiness=stage presence. And Gerard Way has alot of it.

Was talking about Thursday babe, not MCR. I hate cocky support bands.

I know that you were talking about Thursday. Thursday should've been headlining anyway.

I'd say MCR is far more cocky for less reason then Thursday anyway. Thursday is the only ****ing reason MCR is around today anyway.

danielfitzgerald99 said:
Quote of the year. I have been listening to stuff like Lamb Of God, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera for years and call myself a metalhead but I still listen to stuff like MCR and Panic! @ The Disco. I get **** for that but still it doesn't matter what is popular as long as you like it.

Jesus christ. You get **** because they suck. Panic blows. Simply put.

Almost said:
Dream Theatre>Radiohead?

Ha.

I'd agree with that, but it's like saying pears are nicer than apples. The only real difference is that any member of Dream Theatre could stand in for an equivalent member of Radiohead and cover for them - it wouldn't work the other way around. Technically Dream Theatre are the better musicians.

Almost said:
I dropped bands because I actually expanded my music taste outside of that **** I was listening to and actually changed it because it blew.

See, that's why you actually cannot comment in the slightest on anyone else's musical tastes. You don't have one. If you could "drop" old bands you favoured so easily, then pick up new ones, it means that you're only listening to whatever somebody else is telling you is good - whether that is peers, the TV, Radio, Internet broadcasts, whatever.

A true music taste is honest. You like what you like, and although you may see it more realistically in the future when your tastes expand (your tastes do expand), you will still be able to understand what it was appealed to you in the first place. I still listen to music I was listening to at age 7 - 26 years ago. You can of course claim that I should have moved on, but I'll bet you discover Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones and Megadeath at some point yourself ;) (if you're really lucky, you may even discover Depeche Mode, but I very much doubt it).

The problem is hypocrisy. You can't have a strong musical opinion, if you don't actually have a musical taste of your own. IF your musical taste is still evolving, then you wait until it has finished before you start having an opinion. This goes for Dan as well to a degree, but he does actually seem to have a standard taste foundation he works from - therefore validating his opinionation.

Anyway, to try and keep this on topic, I'll do a quick top ten 'performances' I've been to:

10. Marilyn Manson - 5th December 1996 (he didn't turn up :lol: )
9. Steeleye Span - Stafford Gatehouse - 2000
8. Jethro Tull - Birmingham Hall - 1995
7. The Mission (supported by All about Eve) - 1999
6. New Model Army - (all 4 gigs I've been to)
5. The White Stripes - Leeds Festival 2004
4. Peascod - Tewksbury Medieval Festival (1998-2001)
3. Depeche Mode - NEC - October 2001
2. NIN - August 2007
1. Pink Floyd - Pulse Tour - 1993

I've seen a few other 'big names', but very few were actually great performance. I'm upping White Stripes and Mode because I'm big fans of theirs, and the gigs were good, but I've been to gigs with much better atmospheres - but the bands are ones I'm not quite so keen on. It's a bit of a mixed bag really. However, I don't really like 4 of the bands in that top ten, but their gigs were so fantastic and engaging, I had to put them in there - Live, these bands just had a charisma and stage presence, and created an atmosphere most bands only dream of (and try to overcome by packing stadiums full of fans). A great gig converts even the stoniest heart to the music :D

Other close runs for me in the top ten include Echo and the Bunnymen (never listened to anything other than two of their songs, and they entertained me for two hours), Garbage (great, vibrant atmosphere) and most of the bands at Leeds 2004.

Far away from the top ten include Aerosmith (1998 - no atmosphere at all), Sting (great musician, bland gig) and Joe Satriani (superb technical guitar, but the absolutely most boring concert I've ever been to).

furie said:
See, that's why you actually cannot comment in the slightest on anyone else's musical tastes. You don't have one. If you could "drop" old bands you favoured so easily, then pick up new ones, it means that you're only listening to whatever somebody else is telling you is good - whether that is peers, the TV, Radio, Internet broadcasts, whatever.

A friend recommended a band or two to me (actually started by going through Thursday to Thrice to Brand New to Modest Mouse to Radiohead etc.) It wasn't someone telling me anything.

furie said:
A true music taste is honest. You like what you like, and although you may see it more realistically in the future when your tastes expand (your tastes do expand), you will still be able to understand what it was appealed to you in the first place.

I think I matured and got over the part of my life where I wanted music to be rebellious and angry. My music reflected that.

furie said:
The problem is hypocrisy. You can't have a strong musical opinion, if you don't actually have a musical taste of your own. IF your musical taste is still evolving, then you wait until it has finished before you start having an opinion. This goes for Dan as well to a degree, but he does actually seem to have a standard taste foundation he works from - therefore validating his opinionation.

I've listed my favorite bands. If you'd like more, I can do that. I've been listening to this music for roughly a year now.

I got a ticket for the Jonathan Davis "Alone I Play" solo tour. That is going to be brilliant.

Also it is highly likely that Ozzfest is stopping for a one of UK gig at the O2 arena in London on July 19th.

I will definatley get tickets for that because of Ozzy alone but with Killswitch Engage rumoured to play I can't say no. My Last Serenade would be awesome live.

I'm going to see Attack in Black tonight...

Anyone listen to Protest The Hero?
I'm going to see them on the 25th at the sound academy.

Honestly I haven't been to many, but Van Halen last September blew my mind! The guys are in their mid-50s now but they were so full of energy that night! I've seen video and talked to people who are old enough to have seen them back in their heyday in the mid 1980s, and this show I saw was very close to that. I'm the biggest Van Halen fan I know, but up to that point, I had never seen them live. This was a dream come true. :--D

furie said:
8. Jethro Tull - Birmingham Hall - 1995

Heh, I find that funny as I have the same last name 8)

I've got nothing coming up really, should be looking for some in the near future.

Skindred are touring the UK again in some of the smaller venues so I might go and see them at the Brighton Concorde. Benji Webb is an awesome front man. C'mon, it's freakin reggae metal.

Wired was great and Mark sang brilliantly - next time he has a gig let's get more CF there in support. Well done Mark :--D

Glad it went well :)

Well last saturday was unbelieveable!

4 bands for £14.95 at Nottingham Rock City and all were great!

Opened with Serpico. Lovely piece of eye candy for a singer and they sounded really good, the crowd couldn't help but bounce around to them.

Next was Bridgade, again good but the crowd didn't warm to them quite as much but their sound was more polished.

Woop next came Kill Hannah who were wow wow wow tehe.

Then Aiden, who in my opinion didn't sound as good as Kill Hannah but the crowd paritcipation was amazing!

Me and Kat saw or met most of the bands afterwards in the night club. It truely was a night to remember. Tripping up wiL Francis was funny tehe.

I envy you. Kill Hannah are awesome. I want to get a ticket for the second day of GIAN (Give It A Name) to see 30stm but I can't get online at home.

Got my Feeder tickets for one of their intimate gigs next month today! Well excited, they're one of maybe 3 of my favorite bands that i haven't seen yet, so can't wait!

Have a few lined up soon...

Dirty Pretty Things on the 28th May.
New Found Glory on the 28th November.

THE ALMIGHTY DRAGONFORCE! WITH TURISAS SUPPORTING. I am going to see them at the Astoria and dragging John91 along to loose his gig virginity. I mean, It's freakin' DRAGONFORCE!