What's new

GCI Wood @ Thorpe Park

UC said:
I think a B&M flyer for Thorpe will never happen, especially as Alton has Air which did have a lot of problems in it's early years.

That doesn't make any sense. Thorpe/Merlin aren't blind - they know how successful B&M Flyers have been. Air was the prototype.

And Air is still one of the most popular rides at Alton.

Speaking of plans for 2015 and 2018 etc, another thing he said on the tour was that by 2018 Thorpe will be full with no space for further attractions.

They've also looked at moving the car park over the road (they own that land too) and bridging across to the old carpark which could then be used for more rides, however they hadn't managed to get permission for this.

And when asked how tall they could potentially build a coaster, the answer was 350 feet! Although this is unlikely to happen for various reasons which most of us could easily guess anyway.

Definitely interesting stuff.

The thing regarding having no room for furhter attractions is... well, daft, because they have plenty of room if they just removed the current attractions which are a waste of space.

X, the arena, neptune's kingdom. Boom, two new coaster sites.

Obviously, the guy giving the tour isn't providing all pieces to the story... Because he can't, or likely doesn't know them all anyway. Things change so fast even those in charge can't keep up.

Are you able to tell us what position this guy has at Thorpe?

That's another point .. bad news with regards to the arena - one of their focusses for the next few years is bringing more events in and looking at expanding/improving it. When asked if they had any plans for X:\WTF in the future the only answer they had was that perhaps the arena could be expanded into there or it could be used for some form of events. (Although this is by no means final, so hopefully don't read into it too much)

I didn't take note of the main guy's position, I'll ask one of the others cos I'm sure they did, but the other guy showing us around was an Operations/rides area manager.

If they get rid of the dome at the entrance, that'll create a lot more space for new rides. Same with the beach area.

I think they should keep the dome. Helps make thorpe's entrance a unqiue one after crossing the bridge. But I think that the patch of land beside the thrill workshop, and the patch of grass in the front left of the dome may be used for the 2015 coaster. That patch of grass at the front left of the dome, used to be a play area but is now a clear grass patch. They'll most likely use that patch for some footers.

Just thought of another place that would create a lot of more space. The conference/business place by Depth Charge and the big grass patch to the left of the dome with that Random building.

All that space, without taking out much or filling in the lake, is enough for a very long coaster.

Thekingin64 said:
Just thought of another place that would create a lot of more space. The conference/business place by Depth Charge and the big grass patch to the left of the dome with that Random building.

All that space, without taking out much or filling in the lake, is enough for a very long coaster.
That random building you are I think you are talking about is the Thrills Workshop. (But I believe that land is a possible location for the 2015 rollercoaster)