What's new

Front or Back

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
When I go to America to go to some theme parks like Six Flags and Cedar point, I might only get once chance to ride some of the coasters. I would like to know if the front or back of the train is better on these coasters: Millenium Force, Goliath, El Toro, Boulderdash, Maverick and finally Intimidator 305. Thank you :)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Raptor at Gardaland is a definite for both.The front is awesome because it feels so fast and you have the wind battering your face...whilst on the back you are pulled over the lift at speed (a bit of airtime) , it feels fast and is slightly more intense.

I personally am undecided...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Most coasters I would say the back on the first go. With inverts, floorless and wingriders etc (basically where most of the ride experience is in the view) then most of the time the best ride is had in the front.

For other types of coasters then the back will most probably give better forces (especially hypers etc), and therefore a better ride.

Things change when you have the chance to re-ride, or even a guaranteed re-ride. :D

Snoo

The Legend
Pingu on drugs said:
When I go to America to go to some theme parks like Six Flags and Cedar point, I might only get once chance to ride some of the coasters. I would like to know if the front or back of the train is better on these coasters: Millenium Force, Goliath, El Toro, Boulderdash, Maverick and finally Intimidator 305. Thank you :)

MF: Front.
Goliath (Which one?): Back.
ET: Back x1000
BD: Front
Mav: Both
305: Front

Ridden them all multiple times and those are the best rides imo.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oddly, I found the best seat on Boulder Dash to be about third or fourth from the front. Equally as odd, the best ride I had on Balder (the only really "stunning" ride on it) was also somewhere around the middle. Sometimes, you just never know :lol:

Lofty

CF Legend
tks said:
I love it in the back.

Honey, you don't need to tell us all that. We already know.

It depends, I'm the same as Hixee. If it's a coaster that has near misses, scenery and theming, I tend to sit as close as I can to the front, so I have a better chance of seeing everything. Where as, if it's something like Goliath at Walibi World, there's only on way to ride, that's in the back!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
Oddly, I found the best seat on Boulder Dash to be about third or fourth from the front. Equally as odd, the best ride I had on Balder (the only really "stunning" ride on it) was also somewhere around the middle. Sometimes, you just never know :lol:
That's the exception actually. Boulder Dash is SO MUCH better in the front. I think it's the combination of the view and the ejector, but whatever it is it's **** epic.

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
Ok, this is really useful, so thanks. I have always wanted to know MF, El Toro and Boulder Dash because often there are mixed opinions. And I guess I'll have to try the back, front and (surprisingly) middle of BD haha :D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When I first went to the USA and visited Cedar point, my mate and I rode MF in the back row first time. It was so good (and a new experience to us, which is why we loved it so much), we ended up chanting "USA! USA!" afterwards. Obviously it was to take the piss, but I'd like to think that somewhere deep inside I actually meant it.

And MF front row at night/dusk is rancid. THE FLIES! OMG! THE FLIES! I was spitting out bugs for about 10mins afterwards.

For Maverick, front row all the way. Being an Intamin, it's low on airtime. With the launch and bit over water, the front seat is sick. Or whatever word kids use nowadays to describe something excellent.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ian said:
And MF front row at night/dusk is rancid. THE FLIES! OMG! THE FLIES! I was spitting out bugs for about 10mins afterwards.
This was the same for Maverick. The night ride was ruined by the flies. Horrible!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ I never did Maverick at that time of day, but front row pinched it for me. Plus it hurts less, being an Intamin and all that.

reddude333

Giga Poster
For MF I would definitely say front. I do see the benefit of back as well but I really liked the feeling of pure speed (night or day I say front).

As for Maverick, I would also say front. Both of these coasters involve some pretty epic speed so if you really want to feel it, go for the gold. My first ride on Maverick was at dusk and my friend and I were so excited after waiting about 2 hours to get on it. We didn't even care that our mouths and faces were full of gnats. In fact, it made the ride seem that much more awesome, don't really know how to explain it though.

fishman100

Mega Poster
Sit in the back for the most speed and least air time (that's not true for all coasters, however) and the front for the view. That's what I like about the front.