What's new

Football Topic

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Re: Barclay's Premier League

Man U has stumbled out of the gates, and are now making ESPN highlights for losing to teams that are in 3rd rate divisions?

What are the chances they get relegated? :)

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I just found this thread... In the Premier League, I've been supporting Southampton. I generally like to support the underdogs. To me it just feels so cheap to choose a succesful team, and then rub others in the face about how "your team" won. The reason I went with Southampton also has to do with a Dutch trainer and two players from the Dutch league going there. It was great to see them being second place, but sadly the great run ended when they had to face the big teams.

As far as the big clubs go, I like Liverpool the most. It's just a beautiful club with (mostly) great supporters, and Gerrard is an amazingly loyal and awesome player. I also like Manchester United. Not a big fan of Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal though (with the exception of Sánchez, he's a beast!).

^^ Man U is third now, so pretty small chance :wink:

jj23w

Hyper Poster

I'm happy my team West Ham are in top 5, and people thought they wouldn't get far.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

^End if the season they'll be back where they belong...ie bottom half.

Spurs have had a **** start. Well, their first two games back in August were great, I remember watching them destroy QPR whilst sat on a beach in Spain <3 Meh, Cambridge United is where it's at.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

So the season is a 1/3, 1/2? over and I have watched at least one game a week, and usually watch 2 of the 3 games played on NBCSN here in the States.

My thoughts are ultimately this, there is no doubt these guys are athletic, and can do some talented stuff with a football, but man are they a bunch of pussies running around the pitch.

I think scoring could be up 20% if players would stay on their feet instead of flopping and flailing everytime another player got near. Guys are giving up on plays to draw fouls and set up set pieces that work <5% of the time.

Ironically enough my favorite sport, Ice Hockey, had a display that is the exact opposite of a soccer player performance this week. Kevin Klien of the New York Rangers, LOST PART OF HIS EAR, had it sewed back on right on the bench, and later scored the game winning goal. I have seen soccer players lie on the ground for 10 minutes after phantom trips.

TLDR: Soccer players are athletic vaginas.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

rtotheizzo17 said:
So the season is a 1/3, 1/2? over and I have watched at least one game a week, and usually watch 2 of the 3 games played on NBCSN here in the States.

My thoughts are ultimately this, there is no doubt these guys are athletic, and can do some talented stuff with a football, but man are they a bunch of pussies running around the pitch.

I think scoring could be up 20% if players would stay on their feet instead of flopping and flailing everytime another player got near. Guys are giving up on plays to draw fouls and set up set pieces that work <5% of the time.

Ironically enough my favorite sport, Ice Hockey, had a display that is the exact opposite of a soccer player performance this week. Kevin Klien of the New York Rangers, LOST PART OF HIS EAR, had it sewed back on right on the bench, and later scored the game winning goal. I have seen soccer players lie on the ground for 10 minutes after phantom trips.

TLDR: Soccer players are athletic vaginas.

This is a slightly unfair generalisation, especially with some of the lower league players who you certainly wouldn't want to mess with (a certain Claude Davis comes to mind)...

It is a problem within the game, but has become part of the tactics in several ways... The soft contact causing players to flop over is allowed, and as a result is used on a constant basis by pretty much every team... When I see certain 'fouls' given it can be somewhat hilarious or embarassing...

It's also not helped by inconsistent refereeing, which has been of a ridiculously poor standard this year throughout for pretty much all the teams... Always seems to be a stand-out incident every week (the Man City penalty last weekend for example)... So there are so many factors that need looking at to improve the game as a whole, again, something FIFA seem so unlikely to do...

The ideal way to deal with it would be of course to start issuing bans post game to players found to have dived/cheated/etc based off an independent panel, but FIFA are so stuck in their ways that such things that would actually be of benefit to the game are ignored because MONEY...

As for Palace, a weird mix of results so far this year, unfortunately the lack of a big centre forward who can both hold up play like Chamakh and score like Gayle meant the last two games went badly... However that Liverpool game was fab, especially when Jedi thundered the "Best Free Kick I've Seen at Selhurst" in...

Pierre

Strata Poster

Boro are competing right at the top but we're so inconsistent.

Conceding a 95th minute equaliser at home to Blackburn was hard to take.
Drawing with Wigan 1-1 (who are in the bottom 3) and being denied a 90th minute stonewall penalty...

Then smashing Millwall away 5-1 (being 4-0 up at half-time).

Big game on Saturday, live on Sky Sports 12.15pm Kick Off, opportunity to go top of the table.

We've also got the best defence in the league conceding only 15 goals :)

Smithy

Strata Poster

Can understand why some Boro fans I know on another forum were so optimistic now Pierre, when you're good you're very good but you can't keep going. You'll do well to hold onto your manager though if you're in and around the promotion places I reckon.

Pierre

Strata Poster

If we did go up we'd have to be shrewd in transfers too. We've currently got Bamford and Omeruo on loan who are fantastic (Bamford took some time to get going).

Only Southampton, City, Chelsea, Luton and Plymouth(!) have conceded less goals than us in the top four divisions.

I'm nervous for Saturday. When we're in front of the TV cameras we either show up and demolish the other team or we just do not turn up at all and go back to everyone disregarding us.

I think Aitor will stick with us, Steve Gibson showed faith in him to give him his first crack at management and I suspect Aitor will repay the faith... for now.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

Jordanovichy said:
, Cambridge United is where it's at.

Yet again what League are you, Oh yh you are not in the BPL we are and doing well.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

When you go and see West Ham play as many times as I've seen Cambridge United play only then can you call them your team. What connection do you have to West Ham that means you support them and call them your team?

Smithy

Strata Poster

jj23w said:
Jordanovichy said:
, Cambridge United is where it's at.

Yet again what League are you, Oh yh you are not in the BPL we are and doing well.

rofl **** hell that logic is usually reserved for plastic Man United fans and it's laughable then. Coming from a Wet Spam fan it's even better.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

I've been to a lot of their games I went to the one where they won the NPower Cup. Also I have been to a few this year.

Smithy

Strata Poster

jj23w said:
I've been to a lot of their games I went to the one where they won the Capital One Cup. Also I have been to a few this year.

West Ham United have never won the Capital One Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ham_U ... C.#Honours

Awkward.gif

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

jj23w said:
I've been to a lot of their games I went to the one where they won the Capital One Cup. Also I have been to a few this year.

You must be a great supporter if you think they have won a cup, that they haven't. Are you sure you're actually watching West Ham and not someone else?

Don't Criticise teams like Cambridge, when you don't even know how your team does...

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Well I had the pleasure of watching Cambridge United win the World Cup AND Champions League this year...two trophies we actually have won.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

I can only assume he means winning the play-offs, which don't really count as a cup (even though you do receive one)...

If they did, Palace would have one of the most full trophy cabinets in the country...

nealbie

CF Legend

Jordanovichy said:
Well I had the pleasure of watching Cambridge United win the World Cup AND Champions League this year...two trophies we actually have won.

I thought North Korea beat Cambridge in the World Cup final?

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

On the news today - Birmingham's Peter Pannu has left

No word on the fate of tinkerbellu...

(Boom - tisch)