What's new

Favourite non coaster?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't think we've had this discussion in a while, what's your favourite non-coasters and why do you love them so? :D

I think mine is Indiana Jones Adventure now... I was super excited about going on it and it still blew me away. The scale of that main room is just jaw dropping, seeing other vehicles moving about, the aesthetic of it all. It's very close to perfect, though the "they run out of money" dark sections are a little bit of a sore thumb, they at least make sense. Wonderful ride.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I love both Maus au Chocolat and Chiapas loads. They're easily my favourite indoor and water rides respectively.

Out of those 2, I'm not sure which is my favourite though. I was excited by both of them and they both delivered on every level. I'd be more inclined to say Maus because it's so darn fun and I love it so much, but it can be a bit of a wrist-ache after a while. But Chiapas is sheer brilliance too, and the final drop is just <3

So yeah, I dunno, but easily one of them two.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I generally have favourites grouped by ride type;

Log Flume - Chiapas @ Phantasialand - This edges out Dudley Do Rights by a decent margin, very well themed and the airtime in the back row is ridiculous.
Rapids - Bilge Rat Barges @ IOA - Narrowly edges out River Quest, but both are amazing. Barges got me the wettest I've ever got on a water ride. Themed brilliantly and a feast for the eyes.
Drop Tower - Scream @ Heide Park - AJ and I whored this a couple of years back, it perfects the late braking and gives a lovely slapping sound from the air being forced down. Plus it's massive.
Topspin - Talocan @ Phantasialand - The perfect flatride? Maybe. Force aplenty, not overly vom inducing, excellent music, water, FIRE, viewing area, I love it.
Dark Ride - Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey @ IOA - The Potter nut in me went mental when I went on this, it's like I actually was at Hogwarts, plus the tech is fab.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Indiana Jones, Tokyo. The sense of speed you feel without really going that fast, the music, never have I been on a ride that takes you on such an adventure!

Tower of Terror, Orlando. I love everything about this ride, but mostly how ominous it is. Perfection.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Like it's AMAZING. I'm such a Potter fan too (I'm writing whilst having a break from Lego Harry Potter :p ), it's just so detailed and amazing, and it's so well themed and immersive even non Potter fans LOVE it.

Tower of Terror, Orlando - Amazing story, amazing theming, amazing setting, and the ride itself is oh so thrilling. Love it!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
This is going to be so generic.

1. Tower of Terror (Orlando) – The ride is brilliant, the location on Sunset Boulevard is utter perfection, as is the queue and the façade. The “story” is also Disney’s best. A ride that can’t be improved. Love the opening shutter doors allowing you to glimpse the riders before they vanish, their screams disappearing into the blackness.

2. Splash Mountain – I love the way you have to cross the bridge and see the drop before even stepping into the queue line. And in case you didn’t see it, you’re forced, circling the briar patch in the rides opening segment. The way the anticipation builds up for the drop is perfect – as well as everything else.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean (Paris) – Seems much more substantial than the Florida version. Love the elaborate sets.

4. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman – I was shocked how good this was. By far the best integration of screens and physical sets I’ve been on.

5. Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor – I don’t know which one I prefer. I love the atmosphere and tone of the ride.

6. Jurassic Park River Adventure – Simple yet very effective.

7. Star Tours – For what it is, it’s really perfect. It’s also got one of my favourite queue lines and I like the way they used the IP. I haven’t ridden the new one though.

8. Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover – It doesn’t really do anything, but it’s perfect. It’s a very quick way to escape the busy streets of Tomorrowland and gives great views of the area. You also get to go inside various rides! It also really adds to the look of Tomorrowland.

9. Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges – A lot of theming went to make this river rapids feel like you’re in a cartoon and I think it’s really well pulled off. The ridiculous amount of water that is poured onto you is comical and compliments its cartoony appearance.

10. Kilimanjaro Safaris – Because I can’t be bothered going to Africa

Jmaster

Roller Poster
Definitely Fata Morgana at Efteling. It might've aged a bit, but it's still the best dark ride I've ever been on.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Tower of Terror at WDW. I just love the theming and the overall amazingness of the ride!

I also really like Spiderman, The Haunted Mansion, Intamin 1st generation drop towers and Indian Jones!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
In no particular order:

Tower of Terror - any of the four really. Florida has the better drops, but that stupid moving between shafts bit kind of breaks the whole flow a bit.

Indiana Jones - MUCH prefer dark rides with large sets over screen-based rides, and it doesn't get much better than these. Tokyo edges it slightly for a better queue.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - decent speed, decent drop and probably the best animatronic out there.

Harry Potter Forbidden Journey - probably the best mix of screens and sets. I imagine in 3D it's even better. As a whole package, from outside to entrance to queue to ride, it's stunning.

Radiator Springs Racers - such a huge ride in terms of theming and scale.

Mystic Manor - amazing effects, great soundtrack, totally unique.

Valhalla - fantastic water ride that tends to get overlooked a bit because of its age and the park it's in.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Flat rides: Love a good gyro-swing, me. Inward facing seats are better than outward.
Love Slammer, despite all its faults. I'll be sad when that goes.
Love a Fabbri boost, I ride one whenever I see one.

Dark rides. Spiderman is the clear winner for me, but I've yet to experience either of the Potter rides or Transformers, so Spidey probably be at the top for much longer.
Honourable mentions to Hex and Droomvlucht at Efteling.

Water rides: Jurassic River Adventure and Poseiden at EP.

Non 'ride': Templo del Fuego at Port Aventura. Possibly the most overlooked and under-hyped attraction in the world. One of my all-time favourite theme-park 'things'.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Toy Story Mania is a lot of dun, staple for every disney trip.

Radiator Springs Racers is stunning and a lot of fun as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Edward M

Strata Poster
1. Splash Mountain, DW- It's just my favorite. From the length, to the story, to the music, it's just that ride that I enjoy the most. It's especially magical at night.

2. Indiana Jones, DL- Just a blast. The main area for the ride is stunning and the illusion of speed is amazing. Plus, the vehicles give a fantastic sense of motion.

3. Radiator Springs Racers- Stunning from the moment you see it. The scale of the ride is what makes it. The animatronics are just fantastic and the racing section is a lot of fun.

4. Spiderman- The most convincing screen and set ride out there. The technology 15 years after its release is still among the most impressive I've ridden. Just great.

5. Tower of Terror, DW- Its location on Sunset Boulevard really builds up the anticipation and the creepy queue and preshow keep it building. The ride is a lot of fun, but its the buildup that makes it so memorable.

6. Haunted Mansion, DW- Everything about it is just so likable, and the narration and scenes are just so memorable. Just a classic.

7. Pirates, DL- The amazing thing about this is just the scale and the length of it. It's, like Haunted Mansion, a classic.

8. Kilimanjaro Safaris- As close to a safari in Africa as you can get in America. Its mainly about just how real the safari feels.

9. Soarin'- I know it has many people that hate it, but I'm a big fan. Just nice and relaxing and gives a fantastic illusion of flight.

10. Transformers- Although I don't like the movies, the ride was really cool. Just very cool in how it combined screens and sets.

andrus

Giga Poster
As a first time Disneyland visitor this fall I must say that I absolutely loved Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean and Radiator Springs Racers! Wonderful rides =D> Tower of Terror not so much though, thought it was a rather dull experience tbh..

As for other dark rides I really loved Reset, the shooter, at Mirabilandia :--D Immersive, non-screen based and great ride mechanics. Of course, the Haunted House at Knoebels is really amazing too!

As far as flat ride go I like Intamin gyro drops, whereof Scream at Heide Park and Drop Tower at Kings Dominion are the best (due to late braking). Zamperla Giant Discoveries are awesome too; plenty of airtime and speed in those rides! Mondial Top Scans are a personal favourite too :)

For water rides I would say both Splash Mountain and Grissly River Run beat every previous flume/raft I had been on!

mouse

Giga Poster
Flat Ride:
I like a good KMG afterburner, particularly the one at Brean with it's intensity and seemingly endless cycle. I also enjoy Rush at TP and Apocalypse at Drayton Manor.

Dark Ride:
Pretty much anything at the Disney parks, particularly Haunted Mansion, ToT and Pirates of the Carribean. Special shout out to Terror Castle at Brean as it is horrifying.

Water Ride:
Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids at WDW for sure. I also like Loggers Leap, and Oxygenarium at Parc Asterix.

Plus I love a good waterslide, such as Crush 'n Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
So many to name. Off the top of my head:

Flat rides:
Afterburners and Swinging ships but also Enterprises and Waveswingers for nostalgic value. Softspot for scramblers/sizzlers too! (Although I'm not sure that I've ever actually done one inside a proper park.)

Dark Rides:
Not a massive dark ride fan, so maybe Bubbleworks and the River caves?

Water Rides:
Bilge Rate Barges, Atlantis (SWO) and log flumes in general (except the big ones like tidal wave which just seem to give you whiplash).

Water park slides:
Ones where you sit in a boat/on a ring like Surge at Wet n' Wild and the sit on a ring toilet bowl ones like at Siam Park and Aquatica.

This thread just reminds me of all the rides I still need to do! :lol:

BigBad

Mega Poster
Ripsaw Falls at IOA

I've heard that there have been some modifications since I was there at least 12 years ago, but when I went in ~2002, I thought it was cool.

They have a lot of good non-coasters. The rapids ride was fun. The Jurassic Park water plunge ride had a fun drop. The Spider Man simulator was cool.

But dropping and shooting up into the water and under the path while my sister was taking most of the splash...tons of fun.