What's new

Favourite Movie Soundtrack

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
Just listening to a list of best movie soundtracks and Titanic stands out so far, shivers down the spine <3

The Aliens soundtrack was James Horner's best work. Everything else just sounds like that now :lol:

Best soundtrack for me is probably Manhunter actually. It's got a couple of brilliant, emotive songs by Shriekback (This Big Hush and Coelacanth written especially for the film), an excellent "power ballad" by The Prime Movers, some jazzy/jizzy/crap 80's synth bollocks (got to love it) and the full 20 minute rendition of In a gadda da vida with the 15 minute drum solo.

I think it's the only film not based around a song soundtrack (as opposed to instrumental composition) until Tarantino arrived where the song music works perfectly alongside the actual film.

nadroJ

CF Legend
furie said:
The Aliens soundtrack was James Horner's best work. Everything else just sounds like that now :lol:

Why do I feel like you've said that to me before XD

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Probably, but as I can't remember what I had for breakfast most days now, it's not surprising.

At least I'm consistent ;)

marc

CF Legend
I love the Lost Boys sound track, it just makes me smile and it's rather dark.

Also Top Gun lol and Queen of the Dammed.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Halloween <3.

Nowadays I find the opening credits with the music creepier than the rest of the film.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Wojciech Kilar's score for Bram Stoker's Dracula is possibly my absolute favourite. Absolutely stunning.

I'm a big fan of old Hollywood, and for that reason I'd have to say that Max Steiner is up there as one of the all-time greats. He was basically the John Williams of the '30s and '40s, and a lot of major films of the time have got his stamp all over them. Gone With the Wind is the most famous, but there are literally hundreds of others.

Notable mention to Bernard Herrmann as well, not only for Psycho (probably the most iconic soundtrack of them all), but for his other work with Hitchock, as well as Taxi Driver and The Twilight Zone.

reddude333

Giga Poster
This is tough because there are so many I like! In fact, movie soundtrack music is one of my favorite genres (I know it's weird). Anyway, just to list a few I love:

Live Action-

Dark Knight Trilogy
Tron: Legacy (<3 Daft Punk)
Sherlock Holmes
Inception
Matrix Trilogy
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
Forrest Gump
King Kong
Basically anything by Hans Zimmer

Animated Films-

Tarzan
Treasure Planet
The Incredibles
How to Train Your Dragon
Mulan
The Road to El Dorado
Lion King

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Idlewild said:
No love for Ennio Morricone?

Just listen to the soundtracks of the dollars trilogy

+1000!

As for other Western film scores, I've also always liked Elmer Bernstein's theme to The Magnificent Seven.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iteRKvRKFA[/youtube]

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Transformers 1986 animated movie soundtrack by Stan Bush has got to be my fave. Pure cheese rock!

Jurassic Park comes a close second for me. Harry Potter in third - the 'music box' intro always sends a shiver down my spine :)

Mark

Strata Poster
My personal faves are from Batman Begins and actually a lesser known film called Wilde (the biopic of Oscar Wilde staring Stephen Fry). Debbie Wiseman crafted such a beautifully haunting set of motifs and emmotion stirring pieces for that film.

Actually, mentioning Batman Begins, I think a nod to Danny Elfman and his stella work on Batman and Batman Returns should be noted. They totally fit the style of the movies and they are equally listenable outside of the film.

Which also reminds me of Schindlers List. I often find John Williams a tad overrated and incredibly repetitive and then I heard the score for Schindlers List. It is pieced together in such a classical way. It is always stirs up the same emmotions as he film because the sadness and turmoil is captured so fantastically in the main theme. Stunning soundtrack.

Some people mentioned James Horners work on Titanic and I would actually go so far as to say it is monumentally better than the film. The score is excellent and is one of the saving graces that enables me to stomach the film.

Craig Armstrong is also flipping brilliant, one of my favourites actually. You often hear his work used in other places and I don't think there is a single piece of his I haven't enjoyed. His work on Romeo & Juliet was just brilliant and also coupled with Nellee Hoopers opening of the movie is fantastic, despite it being used over and over and over again on TV (Damn you XFactor).

My final one, not strictly movie, is from TV but fits this topic, is Christophe Beck who wrote all of the underscore for Buffy The Vampire Slayer Seasons 2-6 and Angel. The man is a genius when it comes to conveying all of the themes of the show. I have the officially released stuff and then hours of other pieces from the show that I managed to get my hands on :p.

I adore Soundtracks and I have almost as much Soundtrack as I do any other music on my ipod.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
See, I kind of hate the Titanic soundtrack. It's just an inordinate number of variations on one theme. It is instantly recognizable and now iconic though, which shows how "good" it is.

I love Batman Returns as well. Danny Elfman (before I got a bit sick of him) + Siouxie and the Banshees = awesome.

Mark

Strata Poster
gavin said:
See, I kind of hate the Titanic soundtrack. It's just an inordinate number of variations on one theme. It is instantly recognizable and now iconic though, which shows how "good" it is.

I love Batman Returns as well. Danny Elfman (before I got a bit sick of him) + Siouxie and the Banshees = awesome.

Totally. Face to Face is a fantastic splice of a band and film score. Love that song and for a long time it sat at the top of my iTunes most played list!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just thought of another favourite: Candyman.

Philip Glass <3

Ollie

CF Legend
Im counting it as a movie as the soundtrack for The Snowman and the Snowdog was pretty awesome.