What's new

Favoured blade for shaving.

What do you use to shave with?

• Cut-Throat (Straight) razor

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Safety Razor with removable blades

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Bic type nasty disposable razor that removes as much flesh as it does stubble.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Fancy removable head type razor with a min of 2 blades, but preferably 20, and a battery.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Electric/Battery Shaver

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I have a beard/fierce facial hair

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Waxing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other type of facial hair removing device I've stupidly missed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
LiveForTheLaunch said:
You SHOULD use warm water, because if you're cold when you shave then you get goosebumps and it gives you really bad razor burn, especially on your legs!

What about your face Tay? :p

That's what I thought, and where my initial argument was going to be, but the "pro-shavers" (they have sites like this for shaving enthusiasts), they say that cold water is perfectly acceptable. Some even say that it's important to use cold water. The most important thing though is to shave after a shower when your skin is open, use a badgers arse brush to help ex-foliate your skin and get the bristles standing to attention and then use either a hot or cold blade.

Slayed, have you considered this?
Combine-harvester-picture.jpg

Martyn said:
I use Gillette three-blade disposables. They're blue, and have the nice aloe (or whatever) lubricating strips and the heads have a bit of movement in them.

I used to use Mach3 Turbo, but replacing the blades was getting expensive. It worked out loads cheaper to buy the disposables (which last pretty much as long) and they're always in the 4+1 packs at the shop too. Plus they have those little plastic blade covers too, which are handy for travelling when you've got it in your wash bag, so you don't either smash all the lubricant stuff off it, or slice your fingers when delving in for something else!

I've never had an electric shave.

I've also stopped using foam/gel/oil. I just use loads of water, and shave after having a hot shower. It's really no different!
That is exactly how I do it! (except that my disposable ones are green, but yeah)

What about your face Tay?

Oh, well that's another thing entirely that I can't really comment on :p . However, I find that shaving with warm water is a much more enjoyable experience :p . This is just personal preference, not the opinion of a razor enthusiast!

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I find that shaving with warm water is a much more enjoyable experience :p .

Agreed. Much smoother experience.

Gillette ProGlide Fusion battery thing.

In my line of work I spend a good 2 months of the year maybe more (most being 7) in India working on Cricket such as IPL 20/20. Outside our hotel was a barber on the corner with just a chair on the street and a basket of bloody towels which a young boy would run and change for hot fresh clean ones. I nervously approached.

I have always had problems with shaving. Once again its the sensitive skin and tough ginger beard problem, which has also plagued the men in the family for generations (Im the only ginger though) I am told.

So I decided I would pay for the Indian street barber every few days and have a proper cut-throat straight razor shave. The guys out there are artists! Its easily the best my skin has felt and closest shaves I have ever had. They use all sorts of different ingredients in there rich homemade shaving creams with a good variety of scents and textures. Sweeny Todd is the way forward..

I have always used Gillette Mach 3 or Fusion power but I have got fed up with the dire result they give and rediculous cost they are to replace blades. I have my own straight razor now and have been learning from a friendly local barber how to shave correctly. Much better..