What's new

Fantastic old coaster footage/pics

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I didn’t know it was even possible to have the old B&M OTSRs without seatbelts… I guess you really do learn something new every day!
Even in the US, Kumba didn't have belts and none of the Stand Ups did either at first. I think only the Inverts came with them. It wasn't until the 00s they got them.

owenjohn

Roller Poster
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/gallery/never-before-seen-slides-bring-8554460
I assume these have been posted? if not here are some great pics of Belle Vue in Manchester
Including this great shot of the bobs.
msl_008.jpg
Such a pity this coater isn't around today.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Missed it by a single year, at the start of early geekdom.
The scenic was a shilling (5p), and rerides were 6d, or 2.5 of your new pence.
Nineteen goes for a quid!

DJW

Roller Poster
Missed it by a single year, at the start of early geekdom.
The scenic was a shilling (5p), and rerides were 6d, or 2.5 of your new pence.
Nineteen goes for a quid!
My Uncle said he only rode the Bobs twice that day but the Scenic Railway a few more times because that was cheaper to ride and being the older coaster he thought at the time that would be the one they would get rid of and they would keep the Bobs - how strange it was the Bobs that went first and the Scenic Railway out lasted it by nearly a decade!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Check out this great drone video of the abandoned Arrow/Vekoma Coaster Crazy Roller Coaster at Nanhu Park in China.
This unique ride was initially constructed by Arrow but was left incomplete when the company went bankrupt. Vekoma then stepped up to complete the ride in 1986. The ride ran for over 25 years before eventually being abandoned around 2013.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Pretty cool photo about 7 miles away from our house - there was a trolley stop park (Olentangy Park) in Clintonville, a neighborhood of Columbus back in the late 1890s that operated until the Great Depression. Nothing remains of the park (I actually bike through this neighborhood now), but the merry go round eventually made its way to the Columbus Zoo where it still operates.

EFFEF487-74DC-40AD-A4DB-3563D8685407.jpeg

zacharykoaster99

Roller Poster
There's a video that was uploaded by Ken Strong's Youtube channel of Old Indiana Fun Park (the same park that had a tragic accident that happened on a miniature train in 1996) on FOX59 Kids Club from 1992, where Ellen The Kids Club Host talks about Ride safely and the petting zoo. This video also features Mad Mouse a Schiff-like Wild Mouse coaster that operated from 1985 to 1994, 2 years before the 1996 accident that closed down the park. This ride formerly operated at Shady Lake Amusement Park in Streetsboro, Ohio from 1978 to 1982 before moving to Old Indiana Fun Park.

Here's an edited version of it

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This is a very cool view of Steeplechase Park on Coney Island, that shows off a lot more of the Flying Turns coaster than I've ever seen. Absolutely wild seeing how they engineered that wooden bobsleds! Here's the write-up from the Defunct Wooden Coaster Facebook group:

Here's a unique view of Steeplechase Park in Coney Island, NY. Visible in the foreground is the THUNDERBOLT (1925-1982) and the FLYING TURNS (1934-39) just left ofthe Steeplechase horse tracks. 318416886_8534140966660370_3142415787547258482_n.jpg

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
White Knuckle video in 1994 featuring Thunder Looper, Nemesis, The Big One, The Ultimate and more

Thanks so much for posting that. Really cool to see The Ultimate in its earlier years.
Never knew the lift into the station was more of a normal hill.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Thanks so much for posting that. Really cool to see The Ultimate in its earlier years.
Never knew the lift into the station was more of a normal hill.
The repeated use during the POV of the same screaming sounds that RCT uses made my day 🤣

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Ethan

Strata Poster

vaugc002

Mega Poster
After seeing that POV, I feel like RCDB has the max speed wrong... 28mph?? Actually looks pretty fast at points

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This is an interesting one

A fairly large park with a history I somehow missed. And I love that.

This is a (Semi) terrain coaster called Jet Shooter that was at Tokyo's Yomiuriland known now for the Togo coaster Bandit.
The ride had the lift hill at the end which itself is unusual.
A bit more research says this ride existed within the years between 1968 and 1983 and possibly longer.

Yom2.pngYom1.jpgEL3jUGKUUAAw-Tt.jpg

Interesting that the ride has a spash down too.

These 2 images and a map are all i have so far but love a good unknown ride.

As a side note. This is a great monorail bridge at the same park.
Arch.png