What's new

Europa Park to build a cable car to France

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The Macks have announced a new project - a cable car is planned to be built from Europa Park in Germany across the Rhine river and into France. Connecting together Germany and France.

The goal is to relieve the burden on the streets around Europa Park with the park's ever increasing visitor numbers and to make it easier for French and German people to travel to their neighbouring country. A cable car is deemed suitable for this as it is a fast and environmentally friendly form of transport. In addition, in the French Alsace region, just a few kilometres from Rust, an eco-holiday village with hotels and other accommodation could be developed. Investments in double-digit millions range are planned says Michael Mack.
The Mack family have said their company will finance the project and they do not expect any state subsidies.
If the project were approved by the authorities of both countries, it could be tackled in the next five years. The aim is also to create more jobs permanently in both countries.

Around 1.3 of the 5.6 million visitors annually come from France. In addition, nearly 1,000 employees of the park commute from Alsace to Rust. With the opening of Europa Park's water park these, these figures are set to increase significantly from next year. A direct connection by cable car would reduces the traffic load and the number of large parking areas needed in and around Rust.
"It's a big-iconic project," Michael Mack said. "A shared cable car, which overcomes the Rhine and thus the border, would be a strong sign for the growing together of both countries and for a common Europe." The journey of about 3.5 kilometers by cable car would take passengers about seven minutes. The cable car is planned to be in operation all year round. The gondolas would be heated in winter.

Source

The French President has even been tweeting about it.

jayjay

Giga Poster
For comparison, I looked up the dangleway (Cable Car in London) which is 1km long and cost around £60m. The other side of the Rhine is about 4km away from the entrance. Though it does look like theres a lack of good crossings nearby save a ferry at Rhinau.

it is a fast ... form of transport
Hmm

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Very disappointed this is a cable car and not a monorail, so I can't break out my extensive list of Simpsons GIFs and quotes.

"Is there a chance the track could bend?"
"Yes. Absolutely. It's a cable."

This still works...

484367.jpg

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Privately funded mass transportation gets me excited. Sounds ambitious and awesome.

Today I also learned how close Europa Park is to France.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is awesome. I love it!

The Mack family are the real MVPs.