What's new

ElloCoaster - 2019 Wood & Steel Results! {Page 3}

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
My submission is in!
ivotedboth-png.7493

Thought it would be fun to share my Top 10 for each ballot. I don't often consider it on a steel vs. wood basis:

Steel
RankNamePark
1Steel VengeanceCedar Point
2Storm ChaserKentucky Kingdom
3MaverickCedar Point
4X2Six Flags Magic Mountain
5SkyrushHersheypark
6Fury 325Carowinds
7Intimidator 305Kings Dominion
8Millennium ForceCedar Point
9Top Thrill DragsterCedar Point
10Twisted TimbersKings Dominion

Wood
RankNamePark
1VoyageHoliday World
2Outlaw RunSilver Dollar City
3Ravine Flyer IIWaldameer
4ThunderheadDollywood
5Mystic TimbersKings Island
6Apocalypse the RideSix Flags Magic Mountain
7American ThunderSix Flags St. Louis
8BeastKings Island
9Lightning Racer (Lightning)Hersheypark
10Lightning Racer (Thunder)Hersheypark

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd pretty much agree with most of the wood list - although have a slightly hard time believing the woodie in Vancouver is up to much. How on earth did it get so high? :p

Steel list looks to be pretty good. I'd make personal adjustments, but on the whole nothing leaps out as unexpected.

This is a nice little summary too: http://www.ellocoaster.com/2019-fun-facts-and-observations

Excellent work @Jim in Canada. I think you're the new Mitch Hawker now. :p

Jim in Canada

Roller Poster
I'm guessing it's because of the restraints (or lack thereof). The airtime looks insane with how much room they give you.

This article pretty much sums it up: http://www.ellocoaster.com/coasteratplayland

Due to Vancouver's often-crappy weather, Coaster can occasionally have sluggish days. That's a shame, because for many folks it's REALLY out of the way to visit. I know one prominent ACEr who went there after the 2017 results were posted (it ranked #14 that year) and came away with "meh. Just a couple moments of floater air, nothing special."
Then another friend visited the park a few weeks later and came back with "OMG. First coaster in ages to actually scare me. I didn't think I'd still be in the car when it got back to the station. The airtime on this thing is terrifying."

Peet

Giga Poster
Great work by the ElloCoaster team, I enjoy looking through results like this.

Some things that interested me:
- Zadra's score would have put it at #2 if it had enough riders
- Junker at #23 - that came out of the blue for me, never heard anyone rave about this and not seen it in many people's top 10s
- Karnan down at #43 - there are a few CF members who won't be impressed by that
- Lightning Rod and Wildfire have pretty much swapped places between #1 and #5/6 since last year - what happened there?! I mean it's not a surprise for LR to get #1 but it was only #6 last year. Wildfire dropped from #1 for the last 2 years to #5. Meanwhile El Toro stays at #2. Pretty strange!
- Looks like the number of voters was between 140 and 160 (based on the fact that creds with less than 5% ridership were not counted, and 8 was the minimum to be counted). That's still some way off the nearly 500 who voted in the final Mitch Hawker poll in 2013 but still pretty damn good and I hope it does gather momentum in future years now that it is covering both wood and steel.

Jim in Canada

Roller Poster
I was really bummed that Zadra didn't make the minimum rider cutoff.
Junker is awesome. I wasn't expecting anything out of it, but it's a freaking blast.
Wildfire apparently got slowed down in the last couple years - maybe voters are re-riding it now and knocking it down a few pegs.
Lightning Rod got knocked in years past due to reliability issues. It's been running pretty well of late and more people have grown to love it.
Check out the "fun facts and observations" link on the results page- it will show how many voters, where they're from, how long their credits list is, etc.
And YES, I'd love to see 500 voters. This is only the third year, though, and while that puts us a bit behind Mitch's 262 voters in his third poll, it's a good start. Remember, the ballot format changed this year, meaning that everyone had to start from scratch. I fully expect next year to have a lot more voters, since everyone can re-use this year's ballot with a few additions - which we'll explain in November when the 2020 poll goes live.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Really wish I participated in this when I had the chance. I was all caught up in school/finals when voting was out so going through and sending out a list was never really considered. The results look really cool so I hope to join in on the fun next year!

Woodie list looks really good, although surprised that El Toro is still up there at #2. I know many still praise it, but I know I'm not the only one who's not a fan... might not even be in my personal Top 25 wood.

Steel list is more interesting. It's interesting to see Superman and Expedition GeForce still holding on, unlike Millennium Force which is probably among the most ridden. Those three more or less reigned supreme a decade ago.

Surprised that Hyperion and Lech Coaster are so high? Hyperion I suppose I could see, maybe Top 10, but Lech Coaster is something I wouldn't expect to take the Top 20. If that's anything to go by I imagine that third big Polish coaster will explode onto this list next year.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Wildfire apparently got slowed down in the last couple years - maybe voters are re-riding it now and knocking it down a few pegs.
It's a strange one. But given the remoteness of Wildfire, I kinda doubt anyone who voted has re-ridden it, never mind in sufficient numbers to affect its position in the poll.
Woodie list looks really good, although surprised that El Toro is still up there at #2. I know many still praise it, but I know I'm not the only one who's not a fan... might not even be in my personal Top 25 wood.
Not a fan either. People rave about how smooth it is but I found it to have an irritating low-level vibration going on throughout the course. Then last year I rode Balder for the first time and experienced the same vibration. I guess me and Intamin pre-fab woodies aren't destined to get along.

Jim in Canada

Roller Poster
It's a strange one. But given the remoteness of Wildfire, I kinda doubt anyone who voted has re-ridden it, never mind in sufficient numbers to affect its position in the poll.

It's not remote at all for folks in Scandinavia, where 12 of the voters live.
Also, I know lots of folks from the UK pop over there when there's an airline sale. Not that remote for them, either and there were 23 voters from the UK this year.

Jim in Canada

Roller Poster
Really wish I participated in this when I had the chance. I was all caught up in school/finals when voting was out so going through and sending out a list was never really considered. The results look really cool so I hope to join in on the fun next year!

Head over to the site and download your ballots NOW. Work on them all year (be careful not to delete the lines of parks you plan to visit this year).
That gives you 9.5 months to work on it before voting goes live again. November 1st, the updated ballots will drop and all you'll have to do is add the new-for-2020 coasters (if you've ridden any). If you haven't ridden any of those, you can simply submit your ballot as-is. Easy!

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
It's not remote at all for folks in Scandinavia, where 12 of the voters live.
Not convinced. "Scandinavia" is a big area and Kolmården is a two hour drive from the nearest large city.
Also, I know lots of folks from the UK pop over there when there's an airline sale. Not that remote for them, either and there were 23 voters from the UK this year.
Not convinced by this either. I'd suggest the odds of any of those 23 voters having made multiple trips to Kolmården are slim.

Jim in Canada

Roller Poster
Not convinced by this either. I'd suggest the odds of any of those 23 voters having made multiple trips to Kolmården are slim.
I respectfully disagree. I did a trip with ECC in 2018 and most of the European/UK folks had already been on it, some of them on multiple trips. I'll admit to being surprised by that, but apparently Kolmarden was a popular destination even before Wildfire went in. Apparently, the zoo and other stuff there are fantastic.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
I respectfully disagree. I did a trip with ECC in 2018 and most of the European/UK folks had already been on it, some of them on multiple trips.
Fair enough. You seem convinced that Wildfire's lower showing this year is down to voters who've made multiple trips and noticed that it's now slower.
apparently Kolmarden was a popular destination even before Wildfire went in. Apparently, the zoo and other stuff there are fantastic.
It's fine, I guess, if you like zoos. But until Wildfire made it a goon's must-do destination, it was just that - a zoo. If you're suggesting that a significant number of coaster enthusiasts visited it before 2016, again - I'm not convinced :)

cocoa

Mega Poster
those top 25 pages were a really crisp and nice presentation. I'm impressed, and of course happy for good ello rankings. I'll make sure to vote next year!