Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Kinda (Please elaborate)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

mouse

Giga Poster
With the huge success of the new(ish) Amazon Kindle, people are saying that E-Readers are replacing books.
Is this true?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
An e-reader app on the i-phone or android would be a lot easier to have than a lot of books taking up a lot of space. I really don't see the point of a Kindle though as you pay something like £110 for the machine and then you pay extra for each book.

To answer your question: Kindle style: No
App on I-phone or Android: Yes

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They won't replace books, but they're great little machines actually.

And sorry, but **** an app on a phone; reading more than an occasional Facebook post on those things is awful. The whole point of an e-reader is to replicate the look of an actual book page, rather than have some screen glaring in your face for a prolonged period of time.

I was "against" getting one for ages and being a bit of a traditionalist/snob when it came to books, but it's the best thing I've bought in ages. Going on the Kindle:

1. The battery lasts for weeks at a time, and that's with continual use. You'd never get that if you used a phone for the same thing.

2. It's really convenient, especially when travelling. Books are heavy; airlines are bastards. If you're away for a while, or even if you're just close to finishing a book and want to pack a second one, then they're brilliant.

3. Built in dictionary. Sounds daft, but if you're reading and you don't understand a word (might be an old book for example), you just highlight it and instantly get the definition.

4. Fantastic screen FOR READING. There's no glare at all, and you can adjust text size to suit you. No, you can't watch Youtube on it, but it's perfect for what it's designed for.

5. Instant books, which are usually cheaper than the hard copy. There's also plenty of places to download them "free" in the same way as films or TV shows.

6. Free internet access with the 3G. There's a built in web browser, and while it's not great for this (smart phones are way better), in an "emergency" abroad when you don't want to pay ridiculous data roaming charges, it's a more than decent alternative.

I could go on, but basically, if you don't read much then you've got absolutely no use for one. If you're not an X-Factor addicted ignoramous however, I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Anyway, back to the question. I can't see them replacing books to be honest, at least not for a long time. They're great for novels, but not so much for "flicking through" a book. They handle images fairly well, but if a book was picture/diagram heavy, I wouldn't use an e-reader for it. For example, you can get guide books on them, which is just daft as those are the kind of books that you're constantly flicking from page to page with.

I'll still go book "shopping"; it's just that now I tend to find what I want, make a note of it and download it later.

kimahri

CF Legend
*Looks at book shelf full of books *coughmanga*...*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14[/youtube]

TTDfan52

Mega Poster
I could see them replacing text books in school in the far future. That way the school won't have to buy as many books if the loaned one to each student for a year. But that would be in the far future if they made them more durable and made models meant for school use.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I rarely read a book, usually when I'm off work ill. I never read a book for leisure, only as a distraction.

I enjoy going to the library when I'm ill and picking out a few non-fiction books.

Will e-readers replace paper books? Nah. I don't fancy sitting in a bath holding a £100 piece of kit compared to a £5 book. A book feels nice in a hand.

Like most gadgets, they have their place.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Gavin almost 100% (as usual). I was a real sceptic with the Kindle until I used one, then it suddenly made sense and I could see myself using one. Really excellent bit of kit.

So I downloaded the Kindle app onto my phone and got a few free books, which I've not read because reading a book on my phone is:
a) painful
b) impossible because it takes longer than the battery life on my phone to read it.

I don't know about the other E-Readers, but the Kindle is so well designed, and the automatic delivery system from your Amazon account is sublime. It really is quite stunning.

No, it's not going to replace paper books, especially for me:

- I like having a physical book by my favourite authors.
- I don't buy often and mostly second hand or in 2-4-1 sales
-
Ian said:
Nah. I don't fancy sitting in a bath holding a £100 piece of kit compared to a £5 book.
At home, I read a lot in the bath. It's one of my favourite "I've got hours to waste" types of relaxation. If I have a book, I reckon at least half of it will be read will I soak. Once there's a fully waterproof Kindle, I'm there.

Until then, for people who spend a lot of time travelling (especially on public transport) then I can't actually see a reason not to buy one. They really are a superb product, and they actually have a function that means you'll be using them in ten years time while the memory of the iPad and your long lost love affair with shiny and apps has long since faded.

I don't have one... Yet... ;)

Ben

CF Legend
I have the app on my iPhone, and have to disagree with Gavin, it's fabbbb. The screen/text on it is absolutely no different to that of saying reading CF for ages, or news articles online, which we all do for as long as I'd read a book for at a time anyway... Though I wouldn't want to use it on his GROSS HTC either ;) iPhones <3

I was sceptical of it, but, in Finland I started using it to read, and now it's fab. The only spite is I can't seem to find an easy way to "attain" modern books for nothing like you can on a proper Kindle, but, most of the books I like to read are either old enough to be out of copyright or books I already own, so that doesn't bother me that much. Just wish I could get the first Lord of the Rings book on it for nought xD

If someone offered me a Kindle, I'd receive it with open arms, but, the flaws of the free iPhone app are nowhere near worth spending over a hundred quid to resolve in my eyes.

And no, they won't replace traditional books. I don't think downloaded media will ever truly replace physical media, people are far too worried about collections to allow that to happen. In the same way I couldn't face only having downloaded movies and not my massive DVD collection, I couldn't face not having my favourite books on the shelf in their physical form. There may be a huge increase in the level of use of technologies such as E-Readers, but, physical media will never go out of style - it has too many advantages and people just like having actual, physical copies of things... I mean, why else would newspapers STILL be sold since the invention of the internet?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I think everyone has pretty much covered what I was going to say, especially Gavin. I have a Kindle which I bought about a year ago - I bought it to encourage me to read more, and I have, although I admit I'm reading just as many books as opposed to e-books. I didn't used to read much at all with the exception of the newspaper every day (Yes, Ben, I read the newspaper still - I get most of my news from the web, but somehow a newspaper feels as if it offers a lot more), but for £110 I deemed a good investment to get me back to proper reading.

It won't replace the paperback, but it's just another aid for reading.

I never in my life thought I'd ever have to pirate a bloody book, but here I am now...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I have the app on my Galaxy Tab as well as my Android. I like it on my Tab better, since it has a larger screen & is therefore easier for an old fart like myself to read. I like the app, but won't purchase a separate reader (the battery on my Tab last plenty long enough) & don't think it will replace books.

kimahri

CF Legend
Dr Ashens brought up a good point about them that only really affects nerds likeyself. Comic books, the kindle is kinda not Suitable for that and the alternatives are expensive to say the least. Which kinda can push people away I guess.

Edit: Wow I had a thought out post planned but typing it on a phone really makes you give up :|

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I loved the Sony comic store Kim; the reader on the PSP was fab. Though it's now been ceased due to the fact not enough comic owners have a PSP and Ben's point - for some things, people just have to own the physical media.

Dave

CF Legend
Like Charlie Brooker well put it "E-books are a great compliment to books, but they will never replace them."

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Do not quote Charlie Brooker on CoasterForce. Thank you.